Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

36" Toro Grandstand

I just bought a new Grandstand along with the mulch kit. I'm getting some blow out under the deck, mostly leaves. My cutting height is 3.25". Do you have any suggestions on preventing the leaves from blowing out?
Old 10-18-2013, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

A full mulch kit or just a chute blocker?

A lower lift blade may help. Multi-blade mowers create a lot of turbulence under there...and when the chute is blocked off ( = airflow restriction) that air needs to go somewhere = blowout.

Just my opinion: mulching works well with leaves and will often require a couple/few trips over them to git 'er done depending on depth. Backing over leaves is very effective...and also requires your full attention.

Your results with mulching grass will vary quite a bit...and mulch-mowing more frequently than 1/week will increase your quality of cut (QOC), ESPECIALLY in the Spring.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 10-18-2013, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When mulching a lot of leaves, I often leave the throttle wide open because I need all of the power I can get. However, when there are only a few leaves on the lawn, I usually throttle way down - just above idle - so as to prevent blowout. There is still enough power to mulch but the blowout is greatly reduced.

Soli Deo Gloria
Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

These engines have their max torque closer to the middle of the rev range and will mulch quite well at that speed, even large piles.
~ Josh Billings
Old 10-18-2013, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
A full mulch kit or just a chute blocker?

A lower lift blade may help. Multi-blade mowers create a lot of turbulence under there...and when the chute is blocked off ( = airflow restriction) that air needs to go somewhere = blowout.

Just my opinion: mulching works well with leaves and will often require a couple/few trips over them to git 'er done depending on depth. Backing over leaves is very effective...and also requires your full attention.

Your results with mulching grass will vary quite a bit...and mulch-mowing more frequently than 1/week will increase your quality of cut (QOC), ESPECIALLY in the Spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2013, 03:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've been quoted!

For mulching leaves, Oregon's 3in1 mulcher blades do a great job of DESTROYING those pesky leaves. As stated, backing up over them is VERY effective...try it with the RPMs turned down while doing so. Wet/damp leaves will need another pass usually...though there sure is less dust.

Under the right conditions, I'll double cut a lawn in side-discharge mode with 3in1 blades and it will look respectable. Looking forward to trying the same thing with my new Oregon G5s.

Gotta give my plug for Wolfsnout here...they are GOLD for breathing...in dusty conditions...which November leaves are FAMOUS for.
~ Josh Billings
Old 10-18-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the great tips. I am using the full mulch kit. I think throttling back might the the key.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Some around here will say that you'll get less air-cooling from the fan atop your engine at lower RPMs. Whether this is true or not, I don't know. I figure it's cold outside and I use synthetic oil...so I have less to worry about. FWIW, do not switch to synthetic oil until you have gone past ~100 hours on your engine since the rings need time to seat themselves. BUT, make darn sure you change that break-in oil at 8 hours assuming you have a KAWI engine. Any other questions...well, you've found the right place to get a bunch of opinions! Good luck!!
~ Josh Billings