Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-17-2013, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Manufacturer Ratings ... Reliable???

I was browsing the Web looking for information on lawn tractor manufacturers and stumbled onto an interesting survey (see link below). It seems to be somewhat regional, so I'm not sure how reliable it is or whether it accurately represents the opinions of dealers located elsewhere in the country. If you're interested and have some spare time, please take a look and post some comments based on your own personal experiences. This might help us make sound decisions before spending a boatload of cash.

http://www.msdeda.com/pdf/2013%20Dea...r%20Survey.pdf
Old 10-18-2013, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete326 View Post
I was browsing the Web looking for information on lawn tractor manufacturers and stumbled onto an interesting survey (see link below). It seems to be somewhat regional, so I'm not sure how reliable it is or whether it accurately represents the opinions of dealers located elsewhere in the country. If you're interested and have some spare time, please take a look and post some comments based on your own personal experiences. This might help us make sound decisions before spending a boatload of cash.

http://www.msdeda.com/pdf/2013%20Dea...r%20Survey.pdf
Very interesting, it seems Hustler did well in the showing...
Old 10-18-2013, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes, Hustler did do quite well. I'm fairly new at this, but a few companies that spend considerable amounts on mass marketing didn't do nearly as well as the unsuspecting public might have expected.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like I came in second. ..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Smile

It's been said that finishing second simply makes one the first loser ... just saying.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thank you!! Very interesting read. A couple surprises but most everything in the survey is the general consensus on LS. The bar graphs that compare the brand to the average are the most helpful to me. You can see who is above average and who is below. The value brands did not fair so well in all categories. A couple major players were just average as well. I would like to see a performance survey sent to LCO's with cut quality questions, customer service etc. Thanks again.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I found it to be very odd at how low Case IH, Agco, and McCormick ranked in the overall ratings (the last charts by manufacturer name), neither did JD do very well, of which I am really surprised. I am thinking in the terms of farm equipment moreso than mowers.

The area I live in bleeds JD green and yellow where farm equipment is concerned, and has for the last 40 years. We now run JD tractors and Claas, Lexion combines, and this is what the larger majority of the farmers now run in my area. I would be the first one to hate saying this, but a Lexion combine is far advanced when comparing the same class side by side in the field with JD. JD has always been ahead of the competition, but no more, and I found it interesting this also showed up in these rating charts.

You will notice Vermeer outclassed everybody. I am familiar with their haying equipment, but really nothing else, and found it interesting to read about the company and the different equipment it manufactures.

http://www2.vermeer.com/vermeer/NA/en/N/
Old 10-19-2013, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Im surprised how bad Snapper did. Snapper Pro is selling like crazy here and is built in the same factory as Ferris. Also surprised about Hustler in a good way. JD was a surprise. Bad Boy was not a surprise to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Im surprised how bad Snapper did. Snapper Pro is selling like crazy here and is built in the same factory as Ferris. Also surprised about Hustler in a good way. JD was a surprise. Bad Boy was not a surprise to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
That is a little strange, Ferris seemed to fair pretty well, and one would think Snapper should follow along somewhat in the same footsteps.

I'm not sure how this survey equates, could it be a company such as Badboy; which only has a mower line to compare is looking a little different, than say a company such as JD which is so diversified in many different equipment lines?

The reason I say this is because Case IH, Agco, and McCormick plays virtually no part in turf management equipment when comparing to a company such as Toro. I'm just wondering how this information is accurately compared, it seems like comparing apples to oranges in many of these listings if attempting to compare farm equipment against turf equipment.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
That is a little strange, Ferris seemed to fair pretty well, and one would think Snapper should follow along somewhat in the same footsteps.

I'm not sure how this survey equates, could it be a company such as Badboy; which only has a mower line to compare is looking a little different, than say a company such as JD which is so diversified in many different equipment lines?

The reason I say this is because Case IH, Agco, and McCormick plays virtually no part in turf management equipment when comparing to a company such as Toro. I'm just wondering how this information is accurately compared, it seems like comparing apples to oranges in many of these listings if attempting to compare farm equipment against turf equipment.
Very interesting that the machines I consider built better than they have to be with no expenses spared did very well. Like Hustler, Ariens(Gravely), Kubota etc. Where the price point machines like Bad Boy and Snapper got crushed. In the case of JD I have heard corporate is very hard to deal with and this may be the case for others as well.
Posted via Mobile Device