Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-17-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

WB blowers vs big BP blowers

How much of a difference is there between a 13 hp quality WB blower and one of the big (Redmax8500, Hus 580) BP blowers for a solo operator using it for leaf clean-up? I currently have a 150bt that runs great but wondering where the money would be best spent adding a WB or if there would be a significant difference in upgrading BP blowers. I tried a search and some of the older threads advised just get a big BP. I think the technology on both has changed since then and from when I used them working for another LCO years ago. Any advice from experienced people who have used and owned both, again Im solo so these will not be used in tandem. Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It depends on how large the lots are you clean up, and how open or tight they are. The 580 is a world away from the 150 good as the 150 is. Much of the time the big BP's are all you need, especially if you have more than one running on a property.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a huge difference in power. All depends on what size properties you're cleaning. Bigger properties there's no comparison. Not sure about the Billy Goat brand these days but the Little Wonder has self-propelled reverse. Not sure about your terrain, but they're heavy and I couldn't imagine pushing one all day on the slightest of hills.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are doing big kinda open areas a street blower will stomp a BP, but with a BP you can direct the debris where you want. If you do lots with alot of cars a street blower makes a big mess out of the cars.

A street blower pulled behind a stand on mower or hooked to a Z ROCKS for doing big areas way way beyond a BP ever could.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

^^^^^^^BINGO!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2013, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you not use them together . Using your street blower for direction and bp for moving debris toward open areas where street blower would take them away.
We often do this and find it works well
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We do that. Definitely need both.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2013, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For most jobs and even small parking lots a 8500 Max is faster, by the time you mess with a SB you are done just using a backpack. 2 people in tandem works good but a guy who is fast with a BP can be really good.

Street blowers are great if you need them but for most jobs a BP is the way to go depending on what you do.
Old 10-18-2013, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. The properties in question are 1- 1.5 acres and leaves blown back into the wood line. Dependable Landscaping by not using them
In tandem meaning I don't have an employee I'm not where near that level yet.

I may just rent 1 to see for myself. The company I worked for years ago had a Billy Goat but they have changed substantially. We never used it for leaves much just the final blowing from cleaning sand off hot top in the spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2013, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know demo demo but the best demo I would possibly get is in the parking lot if at all. I just don't want to spend $500 for a big BP for only noticing a minimal difference over my 150bt, which appears to work as good as the top of the line Echos I used years ago.
Posted via Mobile Device