Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2013, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

17hp Kawasaki intermitent power loss problem

Exmark TTHP with 17hp Kawi. 350 hours. loses partial power intermittently. Completely dies sometimes. then I can run it for an hour and no problem. After it dies I can start it right up. Dealer replaced both coils thinking that was the problem. It wasn't. it doesn't seem to matter iif the blades are engaged or not.lt does it either way. Any ideas of what the problem is? It seems to be electrical. Plugs are good, gas filter changed. There is no pattern to when it loses power or completely dies.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Member

When the engine dies competerly is there spark? Some models have a phonelic washer between coil and mating surface to reduce hear xfer check your parts diagram to see if that's the case. Your coil kill wire/s may be interpreted or may have rubbed off somewhere and its grounding its self killed then moves ever so slighty when it cools back off? That's my idea easy free check
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like classic Kawi coil failure. They're cheap enough to replace both as the other usually follows suit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2013, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Message stated "Dealer replaced both coils thinking that was the problem. It wasn't." any other ideas?
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Make sure your gas cap isn't clogged....
Old 10-18-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wouldn't be the first time defective new parts came through. How about a piece of debris in the tank covering the drain intermitently. Soft fuel line collapsing? Start checking safety switches one at a time using a jumper.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Sponsor

Like one of the comments mentioned, make sure there is no debris inside the fuel tank and lines that may be blocking the fuel supply.
Visually inspect that all safety switches are in place and that the plungers are pushed in and/or out all the way with the respective tab.
If the fuel tank and lines are clear and switches are working the way they should and you still have a problem, it must be in the engine side of the unit, so please contact your dealer again since we don’t service the engines in our units.
If you have any other questions, please let us know at 800-667-5296.
Service Team
Exmark Manufacturing
Old 10-22-2013, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazer 46 View Post
Exmark TTHP with 17hp Kawi. 350 hours. loses partial power intermittently. Completely dies sometimes. then I can run it for an hour and no problem. After it dies I can start it right up. Dealer replaced both coils thinking that was the problem. It wasn't. it doesn't seem to matter iif the blades are engaged or not.lt does it either way. Any ideas of what the problem is? It seems to be electrical. Plugs are good, gas filter changed. There is no pattern to when it loses power or completely dies.
In my learned opinion, it sounds like it could be the fuel solenoid ( anti-afterfire sol. ) acting up. I would remove the sol. and check its operation. Clean around the plunger ( it gets crudded up) and check the wiring/ground to it. One way to eliminate it as a suspect is to retract the plunger and wedge a toothpick or something in to hold it retracted and install it. Or temporarily install a bolt in its place. If it turns out to be bad, you can just clip the end off the plunger and it wont hurt a thing. Good idea to let the unit idle/cool down a bit before ya shut it off though.

Beware of donkey cart mechanics!!

......AMF!