Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2013, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Member

78 year old lawn

I have a new customer who claims to have a 78 year old lawn. She says the lawn was nice and green most of the summer but this fall it is "dying." She is worried that she is losing the lawn. It looks to me like some of the lawn grasses (many variations in the old lawn) are going dormant and I want to be able to give her some answers. The areas of concern are just some large patches, not everywhere evenly throughout the lawn. Here is a picture of one of the areas. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2013, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Another pic

Here is another picture of the problem lawn.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What was done differently this year that would cause a 78 yr. old lawn go bad???
Old 10-17-2013, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What inputs has it had in last 12 months? Looks like a candidate for overseeding, turn it around a little each year with some more modern varieties.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

To me it looks like patches of bentgrass. The bent may have been affected by dry conditions or, if rainy--by disease. Bent has shallow roots and is more sensitive to disease. It is likely this happens every year when conditions are similar...but...now she thinks as a professional, you should be able fix it. Check for grubs.
Chances are--she will swear it never happened before. Fungicide or overseeding might help--probably not.

Once she is convinced that she has old, disease-prone varieties, and that overseeding will not help...sign her up for a Roundup, strip and resod job with modern top-quality varieties. Stadium green quality. Be sure to kill out all the undesirable grasses. Be sure the sod is disease resistant and contains no poa annua, weeds or bentgrass contamination.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wait and see... killing off a 78 yr old lawn to replace with modern grasses,,, is not where you want to go, w/out an absolute understanding of what happened,,, if anything happened at all...
Old 10-18-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would not kill it but would try to introduce some turf with better growth characteristics. If bentgrass is an ause it can be taken out with Tenacity.

In my little town of under 25,000 people I see the kill-strip-sod-(now add irrigation?) solution about once every 4 years, maybe less. I am not a big fan of sod.

First issue is what would the homeowner like.