Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-02-2014, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Anybody strictly use 21" mowers?

Just wondering if anybody runs their business using only 21" mowers? There is a guy in my neighborhood who works out of a van with a helper. They bang out at least 4-5 houses an hour. He has at least 20 houses where I work. Seems pretty productive with low over head. He leaves the grass clippings at their curb. (he 100% legal if anybody was wondering). Anybody else run or seen a similar setup?
Old 02-02-2014, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used a 21" last year, I upgraded to a 36" wb for 2014. That seems like an awful lot of lawns per hour. I know there are 2 people but the lawns must be really small.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:11 AM
LawnSite Member

yeah sorry forgot to mention that they are small residential. 2000sqft or less. He gets $20 per house. (cuts one of my family friends house). Deals Cash only.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2765 View Post
yeah sorry forgot to mention that they are small residential. 2000sqft or less. He gets $20 per house. (cuts one of my family friends house). Deals Cash only.
Cash is they way to go! I prefer cash but some people right checks, i don't get in to contracts. So technically that's 1000 sq. ft. per mower, and then if he has 2 trimmers and 2 blowers they can knock out some lawns in a hurry.
Old 02-02-2014, 03:03 AM
LawnSite Member

walkerway

Thats only 80 to 100 bucks an hour.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Member

It depends on were you live. If you have a lot of small to medium lawns in residential developments, cutting smaller lawns with smaller equipment can be really profitable. In our area around the Harrisburg, Pa area we have a lot of huge developments with lawns 10,000 square feet and down. If you can get lawns right together in those developments you can do well. Keeping your overhead down is another big thing that some companies don't look at. We use only 30 inch exmark mowers. This year was one of our most profitable mowing years. I really feel you can make money mowing, but you need an organized system. The big key to making money on small lawns is keeping your mowing routes tight. All our lawns are within four miles of my house. Most of them are clustered together in a few developments. One street we have six houses in a row. We don't give out discounts to houses in a row, we just tell them we will do great job cutting and make there houses look great. Most of the lawns we now get are through word of mouth or they see our work. Trust is another big thing. The people trust us on there property. A small lawns operation can work well and make good money.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalz View Post
Cash is they way to go! I prefer cash but some people right checks, i don't get in to contracts. So technically that's 1000 sq. ft. per mower, and then if he has 2 trimmers and 2 blowers they can knock out some lawns in a hurry.
Cash is nice because you don't have to go to the bank and such. But if you're saying cash is nice bc you feel you don't have to report it, this makes me sick. I report all earnings cash or check. I know some people think I'm crazy and that we get shafted by the government enough as it is. But that's not the point. The point is doing the right and honest thing. I may not like taxes but trying to get cash just to avoid paying them is wrong. Disregard this if that's not what you meant. On the topic of small mowers. I personally love the idea and am trying to weed out my larger lawns for smaller ones. I also agree with what Ssantor said that you shouldn't give discounts just because you have several properties in a row. I've had ppl ask me about this before but I won't do it. Business is business. Taxes are taxes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-02-2014, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnsaspire View Post
Cash is nice because you don't have to go to the bank and such. But if you're saying cash is nice bc you feel you don't have to report it, this makes me sick. I report all earnings cash or check. I know some people think I'm crazy and that we get shafted by the government enough as it is. But that's not the point. The point is doing the right and honest thing. I may not like taxes but trying to get cash just to avoid paying them is wrong. Disregard this if that's not what you meant. On the topic of small mowers. I personally love the idea and am trying to weed out my larger lawns for smaller ones. I also agree with what Ssantor said that you shouldn't give discounts just because you have several properties in a row. I've had ppl ask me about this before but I won't do it. Business is business. Taxes are taxes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes... charge accordingly and don't cheapen your service! And remember, if you're collecting all cash all the time and don't claim any of it, good luck trying to get any sort of business loan later down the road for new equipment. If you can't prove you're making money then why would the bank loan you any? As far as taxes..... that's for a whole different thread. Try living and running a business in NY.

As for using small 21" mowers.... if your client base calls for that and you are targeting small yards then go for it. You can bang out a sh!t ton of small lawns with 2 guys, a couple 21" mowers, a couple blowers and trimmers etc...
Old 02-02-2014, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I use strictly Exmark 30's. My Dad used strictly 21's for 20 years or so.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

My buddy used 21" lawnboys for 20-30 yrs. He had around 90-100 yrds