Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 PM
aroddy aroddy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texarkana, TX
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I think that speaks volumes for the dealership, and you can believe me when I say these type dealers seem to be few and far between.

You are the one that should know if this is a problem you've seen before. In other words have you ever seen a Ferris mower delivered to your business that the deck stabilizing rods were not tightened properly at the factory?

This is why on the production line in a factory everyone has a job, and it is their job to make sure their part of the assembly equation is handled properly. Where do you believe this breakdown is occurring? When you have given steps to follow, virtually all human error should be removed.
It's in the assembly line- but I sell Ferris / Snapper Pro , Bobcat , Walker , Husqvarna, Snapper, ARIENS and they have all have improper assm. from the factory. Humans builds these things and everyone makes mistakes. And I get what your throwing down, I wish the assembly line was perfect also and never had to check over mowers before we sell them, but thats just not in the cards for any brand I imagine....
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 11-05-2013, 11:10 AM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by aroddy View Post
It's in the assembly line- but I sell Ferris / Snapper Pro , Bobcat , Walker , Husqvarna, Snapper, ARIENS and they have all have improper assm. from the factory. Humans builds these things and everyone makes mistakes. And I get what your throwing down, I wish the assembly line was perfect also and never had to check over mowers before we sell them, but thats just not in the cards for any brand I imagine....
You sound like a great dealer, one of which anybody should be proud to call their own. You are paying attention to detail, something from my experience of dealing with large numbers of different type manufacturers over the years appears to be going the way of the dinosaur. The thing in this country now seems to be, build it fast, get it into the consumers hands, and his money into our bank account, if any problems arise we will worry about them as they come into existence.

I've always been of the belief you strive for perfection while knowing it may never be achieved, but by using this thought process it will keep you well ahead of problems which arise from only attempting to get by.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 11-05-2013, 07:37 PM
aroddy aroddy is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Texarkana, TX
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You sound like a great dealer, one of which anybody should be proud to call their own. You are paying attention to detail, something from my experience of dealing with large numbers of different type manufacturers over the years appears to be going the way of the dinosaur. The thing in this country now seems to be, build it fast, get it into the consumers hands, and his money into our bank account, if any problems arise we will worry about them as they come into existence.

I've always been of the belief you strive for perfection while knowing it may never be achieved, but by using this thought process it will keep you well ahead of problems which arise from only attempting to get by.
We try extremely hard. We ain't perfect but we die trying to getting it right and keeping everyone happy. Not just satisfied. You can only get better. or someone else thats trying harder will steal your chickens lol
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 06-17-2014, 09:48 AM
Sonnie Parker Sonnie Parker is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Luverne, Alabama
Posts: 167
Is there an adjustment on the 3100's that will help with the steering? I don't notice any sway, but dog gone if these ain't the most difficult mowers I have ever had to keep on a straight line... just about wears me out trying to keep them straight.
__________________
.



SonnieP
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 06-17-2014, 10:20 AM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnie Parker View Post
Is there an adjustment on the 3100's that will help with the steering? I don't notice any sway, but dog gone if these ain't the most difficult mowers I have ever had to keep on a straight line... just about wears me out trying to keep them straight.
Sounds like you may need to get more use to its steering operation. I've not heard this from others, but that is not to say you couldn't have a problem such as a dampener not reacting properly, or your steering adjusted properly, which will cause the mower to pull in one direction or the other. If its a new mower let the dealer come to you and correct the problem. You should not find the need to fight the mower to keep it straight.
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 06-17-2014, 11:43 AM
Sonnie Parker Sonnie Parker is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Luverne, Alabama
Posts: 167
Hmmm... how long should that take I wonder? We have had two 2500's and now two 3100's going on our fourth season... all have been much more difficult to keep straight than the previous two Grasshoppers I had for about 10 years and a Gravely that I had for a short while (granted neither near as comfortable). It took me about one cut to get use to the GH... now fifty-eleven cuts later and the Ferris mowers are still hard to keep in a straight line. 3 different guys have been driving them and we all agree. I guess maybe I have 4 really unlucky mowers or someone's putting something in our coffee.
__________________
.



SonnieP
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 06-18-2014, 09:05 AM
puppypaws's Avatar
puppypaws puppypaws is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Marshville,NC 28103
Posts: 7,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonnie Parker View Post
Hmmm... how long should that take I wonder? We have had two 2500's and now two 3100's going on our fourth season... all have been much more difficult to keep straight than the previous two Grasshoppers I had for about 10 years and a Gravely that I had for a short while (granted neither near as comfortable). It took me about one cut to get use to the GH... now fifty-eleven cuts later and the Ferris mowers are still hard to keep in a straight line. 3 different guys have been driving them and we all agree. I guess maybe I have 4 really unlucky mowers or someone's putting something in our coffee.
I like your witty response...I would believe as you, that you and your employees have operated mowers long enough to know the difference in good and poor steering.

From what I gather you have two 3100's that have been the most difficult mowers you've ever owned to drive in a straight line, is this correct?

How old are the 3100's?
__________________
Farm Mower
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 06-18-2014, 10:11 AM
Sonnie Parker Sonnie Parker is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Luverne, Alabama
Posts: 167
Yes... I will confirm they have been the most difficult to keep in a straight line. The 2500's were the same. I brought this up to my dealer and he said he thought they made them too short, and if they had extended the wheels on out that it would have made it easier to keep straight. Granted, we have gotten better at driving them over the years, but after being off of one for several months (I don't cut with my crew any longer) and jumping on one the other day... I thought I was gonna have a wreck. It was extremely sensitive. I also mentioned this directly to Ferris middle of last summer when we were having so many issues with the 2500's, but they never offered any solution. Ferris and the dealer ended up swapping a pair of 3100's to us for the 2500's in October of last year. We had to wait for them to come from Ferris, so they should be fairly new... less than a year old.

If it were not for the convenience and comfort, I would not own the Ferris, but it seems those few pros somewhat outweigh the cons, although sometimes I wonder. The Ferris dealer lives in my town, so when we do have issues, it is much more convenient to get the mower to him for repair. We have Gravely, Scag, Kubota, Cub Cadet, Exmark, Toro dealers... maybe a few other dealers within 30-50 miles or so, but the aggravation of having to drive that far for repairs is not worth it. And I don't know of any brand that does not occasionally need something done that the dealer has to handle. We did start keeping an extra belt with us, a tensioner eyebolt, tensioner spring and an extra safety switch. These are things that seem to break/malfunction on us the most often. Although we have had a few instances where we had no choice but to go back to the dealer for repair... things we could not fix or figure out. I have been considering buying a third backup (dealer will make me a good deal on his demo), and to keep around my house so I can cut my 10-12 acres when the crew is out. But I keep also having second thoughts about snagging another brand somewhere since it won't be used commercially but on occasion.
__________________
.



SonnieP
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:05 AM.

Page generated in 0.07141 seconds with 8 queries