Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2013, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Swung back by the dealer to check for control arms on the back of the 3100 ICD deck. They are on there but have ball joints at the frame end. So there is no sway front to back but a ton of sway side to side. I measured about 3" in each direction. Im trying to get another demo so I can post some video.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2013, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Swung back by the dealer to check for control arms on the back of the 3100 ICD deck. They are on there but have ball joints at the frame end. So there is no sway front to back but a ton of sway side to side. I measured about 3" in each direction. Im trying to get another demo so I can post some video.
Posted via Mobile Device
Please do post a video. There is ball joints on the back but where it mounts to the deck, they Are so wide that it wouldn't allow that kind of sway unless something is wrong. Like impact or just assembled or assembled back words
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroddy View Post
Please do post a video. There is ball joints on the back but where it mounts to the deck, they Are so wide that it wouldn't allow that kind of sway unless something is wrong. Like impact or just assembled or assembled back words
Posted via Mobile Device
Yup the control rods are mounted solid at the deck like a "T". But at the frame end they use a ball joint that allows side to side movement. The deck chains have 4 links in the front and 3 in the back. Easy fix would be to hang the deck with control rods.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Member

GMLC not trying to be nasty but an easy fix would be for the units to be set up properly. If a Ferris deck is hung and adjusted properly, then your complaint is impossable. There is something not set up correctly. Please let me know the name of your Ferris dealer (send me a private message with there name, it does not need to be posted publicly.) I can call them and go throuhgt the set up procedures with them. Either the pusher bars in the rear have an issue, the deck timing maybe off or there is slack in one or more of the chains beacsue this by far is not normal.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Dog View Post
GMLC not trying to be nasty but an easy fix would be for the units to be set up properly. If a Ferris deck is hung and adjusted properly, then your complaint is impossable. There is something not set up correctly. Please let me know the name of your Ferris dealer (send me a private message with there name, it does not need to be posted publicly.) I can call them and go throuhgt the set up procedures with them. Either the pusher bars in the rear have an issue, the deck timing maybe off or there is slack in one or more of the chains beacsue this by far is not normal.
Its not impossible because the rear track bars are mounted on the frame with ball joints designed to move side to side. Foward and back movement is impossible. Keep in mind this was my second demo, one at a dealer open house and one on site, two different dealers. I am trying to get another demo to post video.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 11:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Forward and backward motion is the only motion possible. It is impossible for side to side if the unit is set up properly. If it moves side to side something is broke or out of adjustment. Folks if you have issues with your mowers call your dealers if they do not supply you with the correct answer then call the manufacture but PLEASE do not believe everything you read on here. You may see a video of a deck moving side to side but keep in mind that is not normal. That simply means something is broke or out of adjustment.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Dog View Post
Forward and backward motion is the only motion possible. It is impossible for side to side if the unit is set up properly. If it moves side to side something is broke or out of adjustment. Folks if you have issues with your mowers call your dealers if they do not supply you with the correct answer then call the manufacture but PLEASE do not believe everything you read on here. You may see a video of a deck moving side to side but keep in mind that is not normal. That simply means something is broke or out of adjustment.
Im sorry but your info is incorrect. Track bars prevent front to back sway. They do allow side to side. You certainly dont want the deck to sway into the back wheels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Im sorry but your info is incorrect. Track bars prevent front to back sway. They do allow side to side. You certainly dont want the deck to sway into the back wheels.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll be posting a video later of a mower of my showroom floor. I can do it to 4 different machines if you like. But there is seriously something wrong with the machine your testing. But Dakota dog is not incorrect. If set up properly from the factory. You should have absolutely no movement side to side
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 12:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroddy View Post
I'll be posting a video later of a mower of my showroom floor. I can do it to 4 different machines if you like. But there is seriously something wrong with the machine your testing. But Dakota dog is not incorrect. If set up properly from the factory. You should have absolutely no movement side to side
Posted via Mobile Device
He is incorrect in saying the track bars allow front to back movement. They do not. When you stop a 3100 the deck does not sway front to back. It has zero front to back sway. It does have side to side sway. I spent an hour saturday night under the 3100 looking at the track bars and chain hangers. Simply push the deck side to side with your foot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Member

These are not track bars. They are pusher bars and they work with the suspesion of the machine. If I could figure out how to post a video I would share the proper motion of these decks and the Ferris design.
GMLC please provide me with your Ferris dealers name and I will call them to help them correct this issue for you.