Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2013, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
I took this video of my 3100 icd deck today for comparison GMLC. No movement at all.
I also came across a well used IS2000 today and gave it a test too, and although there was some wear in the bushes, there was not the movement like seen in your videos. (I didn't look to see if the 2000 has the same mountings though)
Seems very strange that you are seeing the same on so many different machines.
http://youtu.be/u-lBK0QPr3k
That's exactly how my mower is, the whole mower moves but not the deck, I actually was looking at it while mowing on a slope at a church I cut and it was stable.
Old 11-01-2013, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok the video showed side to side movement but that does not mean that it is correct. No side to side or very minimal side to side is what you should see. I have done some research and I was only able to duplicate this issue by not tightening the pusher bar bolts tight enough, leaving the jam nuts loose on the ball joint or removing the bushings out of the T part of the pusher bar. I wish I knew how to upload pictures because pictures say a thousand words but I will try to explain. On the rear of the pusher bar (the T bar that mounts on the back of the deck) there is a 3/4" bolt and nut. If I tighten that bolts by hand or left it a little loose the deck would move as seen. If I tighten the bolts with a 1/2" impact gun the movement went away. On the back of the deck is another mounting point for the front of the pusher bar. In this mounting point the pusher bar ( T ) is sandwiched between a l_l bracket (sorry for the pictorial work didn't know how else to describe) that is held on with a 3/8 bolt that threads into a deck lift shaft weldment. If that bolt is not torqued down to 45 ft./lbs. it will also allow for this movement. Hopefully this all make sense. I explain things better verbally rather than by typing.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Dog View Post
Ok the video showed side to side movement but that does not mean that it is correct. No side to side or very minimal side to side is what you should see. I have done some research and I was only able to duplicate this issue by not tightening the pusher bar bolts tight enough, leaving the jam nuts loose on the ball joint or removing the bushings out of the T part of the pusher bar. I wish I knew how to upload pictures because pictures say a thousand words but I will try to explain. On the rear of the pusher bar (the T bar that mounts on the back of the deck) there is a 3/4" bolt and nut. If I tighten that bolts by hand or left it a little loose the deck would move as seen. If I tighten the bolts with a 1/2" impact gun the movement went away. On the back of the deck is another mounting point for the front of the pusher bar. In this mounting point the pusher bar ( T ) is sandwiched between a l_l bracket (sorry for the pictorial work didn't know how else to describe) that is held on with a 3/8 bolt that threads into a deck lift shaft weldment. If that bolt is not torqued down to 45 ft./lbs. it will also allow for this movement. Hopefully this all make sense. I explain things better verbally rather than by typing.
It was nice of you to put forth the effort to bring about an explanation as to how these differences are taking place, and the way you explained it makes very good sense.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota Dog View Post
Makes sense to me, thanks. Perhaps a bulletin should be sent out about this issue. It seems very wide spread considering all the machines I have found it on at dealers in the northeast and even at a Ferris demo tent at an event. Do you think its missed at the factory or during dealer set up?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2013, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Makes sense to me, thanks. Perhaps a bulletin should be sent out about this issue. It seems very wide spread considering all the machines I have found it on at dealers in the northeast and even at a Ferris demo tent at an event. Do you think its missed at the factory or during dealer set up?
Posted via Mobile Device
I may be wrong but it sounds to me like that should be part of the assembly process that would take place at the factory. Then again, with the number you've seen that was loose, it makes you wonder.

It reminds me of the stops needing to be adjusted by the dealer to achieve the maximum speed on the 3100. I asked the factory why they did not set the mower up to deliver their advertised 12 mph speed, the answer was strange, the gentleman said, "we ship them from our factory to run 10 mph for the fact many do not want the extra speed." I told him that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and they could ship the mower adjusted to run their advertised speed, and if the owner had no need of the additional speed, he could control it with the steering levers.

This is very odd, and that is to advertise a 12 mph forward speed, then set it up to be delivered at 10 mph. I've never heard of anything like this, and to my knowledge this is not considered by other manufacturers. So, I'm not really sure how they treat the stabilizing rods, maybe the factory expects the dealer to adjust and it just never happens in some cases.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I may be wrong but it sounds to me like that should be part of the assembly process that would take place at the factory. Then again, with the number you've seen that was loose, it makes you wonder.

It reminds me of the stops needing to be adjusted by the dealer to achieve the maximum speed on the 3100. I asked the factory why they did not set the mower up to deliver their advertised 12 mph speed, the answer was strange, the gentleman said, "we ship them from our factory to run 10 mph for the fact many do not want the extra speed." I told him that made absolutely no sense whatsoever, and they could ship the mower adjusted to run their advertised speed, and if the owner had no need of the additional speed, he could control it with the steering levers.

This is very odd, and that is to advertise a 12 mph forward speed, then set it up to be delivered at 10 mph. I've never heard of anything like this, and to my knowledge this is not considered by other manufacturers. So, I'm not really sure how they treat the stabilizing rods, maybe the factory expects the dealer to adjust and it just never happens in some cases.
I agree, that is strange. The operator can achieve their desired speed with the steering levers. No need to adjust the stops for slower operation.

As far as the stabilizing rods, the factory could of had a bad run where a number of units got missed. I do find it strange that Ferris showed up at an event with loose ones. But this is how mistakes are found and addressed. I had thought the deck sway was a normal characteristic of Ferris. Im glad I brought it up on LS.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2013, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Member

This just goes to show you that a good dealer is hard to come by. If he had tested the mower in the first place, he coulda called ferris tech and get it straight before GMLC had the chance to demo. All trial and error but it makes Ferris look like it had a problem with the DESIGN of the machine to where it was a assembly error / final inspection error on the dealer's end. Of course there was enough guys on the thread stating that none of their machines have had the same problem.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

My plan is to get another demo this spring with hopefully no deck sway. I will hold off on my review until then.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2013, 08:52 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
My plan is to get another demo this spring with hopefully no deck sway. I will hold off on my review until then.
Posted via Mobile Device

You need to contact Ferris and make it known to them exactly what you experienced, and what you've been told by owners concerning the deck sway you encountered. Then ask them how this could happen, and if it is indeed a factory assembly problem, or a dealer set-up problem. Explain something this simple to remedy could cost them sales, and is definitely a problem they should address. Hopefully you can come back with a good explanation as to why you experienced the problem.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
You need to contact Ferris and make it known to them exactly what you experienced, and what you've been told by owners concerning the deck sway you encountered. Then ask them how this could happen, and if it is indeed a factory assembly problem, or a dealer set-up problem. Explain something this simple to remedy could cost them sales, and is definitely a problem they should address. Hopefully you can come back with a good explanation as to why you experienced the problem.
I will. Not sure if Ferris will be interested in a demo just for review purposes? Im lucky to have a dealer thats all for it but if he gets heat for this my demo's are done for. When I demoed the 2000 from the Ferris tent at Turf Depot's open house, they just kinda looked at me when I showed them the deck sway. My guess is not everyone at Ferris is on the same page.
Posted via Mobile Device