Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-19-2013, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki DFI suddenly lost power and bogged down. Wonder why?

I was mowing this afternoon, bone dry, moderate/low growth, cutting at 3.25". I'd been cutting as usual for about 20 minutes, up and down an 8-10% grade when the power suddenly dropped on the uphill trip. I don't have a tack but the engine was laboring and struggling. No noise that I recall, just an instant power loss.

I idled down, turned off pto and engine. Let it sit for a moment and it fired right up. Sounded normal under no load and even cut fine on level ground/downhill but when put under load on the uphill the power cut down and the engine lugged, not to the point of dying, but certainly not the go thru anything power it had before. I finished the section I was mowing and put it up.

The motor backfired sharply last night when I cut it off, I just figured that was because I didn't use it long and it didn't fully warm up, and then it backfired again sharply this afternoon when I started it under low throttle. Mower has about 35 hours. 2013 Bob-Cat Predator Pro with 1000cc DFI Kawasaki.

I called the dealer and he had no ideas other than bring it in and let him test it. Anyone got any ideas what's happened?

If it was an old 150 Mercury Black Max I'd guess I'd dropped a power pack.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All I can say is that I have not had good luck with the new Kawasaki engines. That said, it might be something totally unrelated to the motor...

I hope you get it figured out man, and I hope whatever is the matter with it, they fix it.
Old 10-19-2013, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just looked mower over today and the hour meter is flashing "SEE" so I guess that means get to the dealer.
Old 10-20-2013, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I sell a lot of Ferris 3100z with 37DFI - I have worked on the FX1000 for 3 years now and I can tell you everything you can fathom lol But I had a case exactly like this this year on one of my ferris machines. Called Kawasaki and talked to the head DFI guy, he pointed at the machine side EVAP system- it was choking the fuel tanks not allowing the fuel to flow properly. So we capped off everything on the Kawi and used Husqvarna chainsaw fuel filters to test the idea and it completely solved the problem. Have your bobcat dealer call kawasaki and ask for Jim in tech service and he will get you fixed up
Old 10-20-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh yea, I'm a bobcat dealer also and the hour meter isn't plugged into a computer or anything like that. It just cycles through massages by the amount of time it has on the meter
Old 10-20-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks. If you look at 33.5 hours upside down it looks like SEE. I'm a dummy.

I'll pass the info to the service tech.
Old 10-20-2013, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublesharp View Post
Thanks. If you look at 33.5 hours upside down it looks like SEE. I'm a dummy.

I'll pass the info to the service tech.

LOL,thats hilarious! Hope you get it faxed fast!

Aroddy,nice to see a dealer with imput! What do you think about todays DFI campared to EFI of a few years ago?
Old 10-21-2013, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Before I made the 20 mile trip to the dealer this morning I thought I'd mow again and see if engine was still laboring. I mowed for .4 hour in wet grass that was a little more dense than what I'd had trouble with before. Mower ran perfect and I tried to make it bog down. Went thru wet lush growth with no problem. I then lowered deck to 3" and went over some that I'd cut a couple days before at 3.25". Uphill or downhill, no problems. I'm going to mow some more and I hope this was just a hiccup. Things don't usually fix themselves but the mower performed perfectly this am mowing in a heavy dew.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah well SEE it's probably just got tired of working.