Advanced Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

View Poll Results: New Ferris Hydrowalk models. Build quality?
Built better than older models. (Thicker metal, better features/controls.. 1 20.00%
The same. Still built tough and solid ready for years of daily abuse 0 0%
Cheaper built. Thin metal /stamped light duty parts. Scrap yard 2-3years 0 0%
Never owned a older model to compare to the new model. 4 80.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2015, 06:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Question New Ferris hydrowalk models. Like them/Dont like them? Build quality lower/same/bette

Im thinking about buying another Ferris Hydrowalk to replace the old 52in Hydrowalk DD fixed deck i use to have. Has anyone tried or purchased the new models of the Hydrowalk with adjustable deck/fixed deck? Compared to the old hydrowalk is the build quality better, the same, or built cheaper? Do you like/ dislike the new models.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I played around with one in my dealers lot back in April and I was not impressed. However my opinion is strictly based off of the machines driving and controls. I did not get to cut with it. Just ride it around with a Selbro sulky. However on the flipside I have a friend who has one and I will say it leaves some nice stripes. He swears by them he had the older ones and a brand new one and seems to like them equally. But it just is not the right mower for me.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Hydrowalk

I have the hydro 36. Have been running it for about 4 months. Have 165 hours on it.

Pros for me:
Love the hand controls, very comfortable.
Love the 19 hp Kawasaki
Love the big rear tires.
No problems so far

Cons:
Light front end. Pops up easy. Might add some weight next year.
Might be different on larger machine.

C.M.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Just bought a 61 inch 23hp kawasaki 2 weeks ago. Love it. I haven't used it much, my guys do. I basically just tested it. Paid $6,100 compare to turf tracer at 9k. Very responsive and easy on the hands. IMO

I've switching over to Husky for all my equipment. They do not make floating deck or big walk behinds anymore, so I tried the Ferris. So far so good.....
Old 09-24-2015, 01:25 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a 12 year old Hydrowalk SD 36 bought new in 2003 that's still kicking, nothing but one deck belt and normal maintenance (oil changes, blades, etc) in all that time/hours. Bought one of the new FW35 machines with the 26hp Vanguard and a 52" deck about a month ago and have been very impressed with it so far. They seem just as well built as the old machines, if not better. I'm expecting a lot of hours out of the new one as well.

The only thing I found a little odd about it was the oil filter placement. Did a change after 10hrs for break in and was surprised at that design. The filter sits right next to a guard (that you must loosen and slide out of the way) that covers the left side hydro belt pulley. I just put some tin foil over it to catch the oil drips, got a little on it but nothing huge. Small issue, but could have been better placement IMO. It's also a total gas hog but that's to be expected coming from a 13hp 36" machine to a 26hp 52" machine, haha.

Other than those little issue the mower has been great. QOC is outstanding, it's got TONS of power (and sucks down TONS of fuel...), great hill stability, and the centralized controls are very comfortable. I have no qualms recommending it to anyone looking for a sturdy, reasonably priced WB!
Old 09-24-2015, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you everyone so far that has replied. Ferris really won me over when i got my dinosaur 52 hydrowalk DD with a kawasaki. This mower came from a very large local company that paid me to haul it to the dump. (I didnt cut grass at the time) it had been sitting for several years unused after many years of abuse. Long story short took a hour to get it running, a friend had it for 3 or 4 years i used it for 2 or 3 years before motor problems and lack of funds to replace the motor caused me to sell it. The mower sat outside in the weather, had only god knows how many hours 1000's im sure, and was still solid without any rusted through holes and would start up everytime in 3 pulls or less. I figured since it was a dinosaur and just like everything else they didnt make them like that anymore. But it sounds like im wrong and i hope i am. I didnt want to put that much money into a machine without doing some home work and get disappointed in return.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
ferris , hydrowalk , walkbehind