Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2013, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Anybody ever use a Pullerbear?

Has anyone ever used a Pullerbear? For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's more or less a jaw with a lever to pull out weed trees and such. YOu can find them on youtube or pullerbear.com. I get all sorts of landscaping jobs where people need saplings and such removed, and these seems like the least invasive way to go, other than cut/poison. Mainly right now I'm looking at a job where the homeowner cut out TONS of saplings from an old bed, but left 6-8" tall, 1"diameter stumps everywhere. I'll probably go ahead and order one, just wanting to know what everyone else thought.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Never heard of them. I just use my prunners if I can pull them out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They're also called grubbers. They work pretty good for pulling up larger saplings so they don't come back. Handy tool when your reclaiming old planting beds or clearing newer growth wild areas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

why not just use a stump grinder? Would be way more efficient.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:38 AM
LawnSite Member

For 200$ its aproaching the cost of a real post puller. And you'll be able to yank much bigger trees out with one of those. I didn't see anything in the video that I couldn't have pulled out with a set of chanel lock 460's or a single swing of the mattox. They cost a fraction and weigh much less. It may really be the way to go, but I'm not sold on it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A stump grinder would be overkill and not cost effective for saplings. In this case you would be grinding through more dirt which isn't the proper use of the machine. The OP is clearing a decent size area and probably wants to remove as much root system to allow replanting. A mattox runs the risk of damaging other things unintentionally. Irrigation, gas , electric or low voltage might be in that area. Its a finesse tool that I have and use only in certain circumstances. Its not something I would buy if cost was a concern.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2013, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A dull hatchet is kept handy for the purpose of cutting into the dirt removing the trunk of the sapling from its major feeding roots... Problem is kneeling down and making 4 chops or so to lift it out...
The guy that left 8" stumps 1" in diameter needs a brain...
Old 10-26-2013, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks patriot looks like we're on the same pabe all around. And I'm with you too smallaxe, it was all i could do to not shake my head when I showed up yo this place , haha. My first clue was "yeah me and a buddy cleared a lot of stuff out then decided we should get someone who knows what they're doing". I did the same thing to a mechanic once on a engine rebuild, brought him a truck with half the engine compartment sitting on the back. Tipped him 200 bucks because I knew he didn't charge me for what I put him through
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2013, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks patriot looks like we're on the same pabe all around. And I'm with you too smallaxe, it was all i could do to not shake my head when I showed up yo this place , haha. My first clue was "yeah me and a buddy cleared a lot of stuff out then decided we should get someone who knows what they're doing". I did the same thing to a mechanic once on a engine rebuild, brought him a truck with half the engine compartment sitting on the back. Tipped him 200 bucks because I knew he didn't charge me for what I put him through
Posted via Mobile Device