Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2013, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Top dresser

Top dressing in my area is starting to before more popular, only one person currently offers the service. I am looking to getting a top dresser and do not know a lot about them. I know I want self propelled. What brands would be good for a beginner unit?? New or used??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 06:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There is a good recent discussion here. A couple of the guys there, Rick13 and phatshound, know quite a bit about lawn type topdressing machines. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My thoughts on this are that at this point in time there are two brands worth considering. EcoLawn and Earth & Turf. Owners of both units seem totally happy so I don't think you will go wrong with either.

Eco Lawn is light which makes it easy to transport. It has a wider spreading pattern of about 10-12 feet where Earth and Turf is a drop spreader. The advantage the other way is that you can trim around sidewalks and driveways better with the drop spreader and not have to blow them off.

Earth and Turf strikes me as the more substantial machine. EcoLawn has tried to keep their unit light which is good but they do have occasional small issues that crop up. They seem to be minor enough that the guys with them don't seem to be too concerned with it but I think the Earth and Turf doesn't have those small issues.

The Earth and Turf would likely handle wet compost better but both seem ok with it. People seem to like the plastic hopper on the EcoLawn. The EcoLawn 100 with the single spreader is less money than the Earth and Turf but the EcoLawn 200 with the double spinner is probably the better choice over the 100.

All in all, you would be happy with either brand and they are both going to work and make money for you.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Does anyone use a tow behind unit? Land pride makes a tow behind that is small and will fit through gates and it says it will spread sand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a Mete-R-Matic tow behind. Didn't mention it because I thought it was larger than you were interested in. It holds about a cubic yard at a time, dispenses 60" wide (I believe), empties in less than 2 minutes. I did a football field recently and was able to make three passes across field (sideline to sideline) each time I filled it.

Last edited by foreplease; 10-21-2013 at 07:35 PM.