Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2013, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Bobcat hydro cut problems

I have a Bobcat hydro 48" that I have had for a few years now and have been happy with it overall. It is tough as nails and has never once let me down. But, I cannot get this thing to leave a nice cut in any type of grass. I've tried Gator blades and Oregon high-lifts on it and tried every deck adjustment possible to try to get it to leave a clean cut and it just will not do it. I'm at the point of selling it for something else. But, it's really been a good mower to me and I hate to get rid of it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get it to cut better before I sell it? It almost seems like the deck has zero vacuum. Should I try super high lifts? Is there some mod I could do to the deck?
Old 10-19-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

When I help set up decks that guys complain of low lift and stringers the universal problem seems to be blades set way too high up in the deck. Do you even have adjustability in depth? If not then super high lifts may be your only option. Gator style also seem to aggravate this problem.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

It does have blade depth adjustment by way of spacers. I have two spacers which is the maximum allowed according to the manual. Do you think super high lifts would help? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What is the model of the unit? Are you using flat blades or blades where the center is offset from the blade itself? Most Bobcats are supposed to have the offest blades which drops the blades lower. So if you are running straight blades the offset ones will drop the blades lower.

Also are all the baffles in place? Is the front of the deck 1/8" or so lower than the back?

Honestly the Bobcat books are not very good on deck settings...the charts seemed wrong the last one I looked at. At some point the added more spacers to the front wheels than what the charts show even being possible.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
What is the model of the unit? Are you using flat blades or blades where the center is offset from the blade itself? Most Bobcats are supposed to have the offest blades which drops the blades lower. So if you are running straight blades the offset ones will drop the blades lower.

Also are all the baffles in place? Is the front of the deck 1/8" or so lower than the back?

Honestly the Bobcat books are not very good on deck settings...the charts seemed wrong the last one I looked at. At some point the added more spacers to the front wheels than what the charts show even being possible.
I'm pretty certain it's an 09 model. The blades are flat. I will try to find the offset ones. All baffles are in place. I'm not sure if front of the deck is lower or not, I have been doing deck height adjustments using the chart in the manual assuming it would be correct. Thinking getting longer blade spindle bolts and adding another washer or two!
Old 10-19-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyjoe View Post
I'm pretty certain it's an 09 model. The blades are flat. I will try to find the offset ones. All baffles are in place. I'm not sure if front of the deck is lower or not, I have been doing deck height adjustments using the chart in the manual assuming it would be correct. Thinking getting longer blade spindle bolts and adding another washer or two!
All Bobcat blades since I started selling them have been the offset ones....and that dates back to like 2002-2003 when I started and before. So if you have flat blades, they are the wrong ones.

And use the chart in the manual as toliet paper. Get a ruler and make sure the front of the deck is 1/8-1/4 lower than the rear. Depending on what height you are going for you may have to change where the deck mounts to the tractor/rear half of the machine.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugs View Post
All Bobcat blades since I started selling them have been the offset ones....and that dates back to like 2002-2003 when I started and before. So if you have flat blades, they are the wrong ones.

And use the chart in the manual as toliet paper. Get a ruler and make sure the front of the deck is 1/8-1/4 lower than the rear. Depending on what height you are going for you may have to change where the deck mounts to the tractor/rear half of the machine.
I did drop the deck down one hole from the factory setting. I'm running the oem blades that came on the mower but I know that doesn't neccesarily mean they are the correct blades. Also, the blades sit about 1.25" above the bottom of the deck. Shouldn't they be almost even with the bottom of the deck?
Old 10-19-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Just ordered a set of offset blades. I'm hopeful it will cure my problems.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyjoe View Post
I did drop the deck down one hole from the factory setting. I'm running the oem blades that came on the mower but I know that doesn't neccesarily mean they are the correct blades. Also, the blades sit about 1.25" above the bottom of the deck. Shouldn't they be almost even with the bottom of the deck?
Not even with the bottom, but not much more than 3/4 inch. Do the new blades have an upturned sail or gator teeth on them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Not even with the bottom, but not much more than 3/4 inch. Do the new blades have an upturned sail or gator teeth on them?
Posted via Mobile Device
Upturned. And I forgot that I took one of the two spacers out the other day to see if it made any difference. So, with offset blades and the second spacer hopefully it will put the blades where they should be.