Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-07-2003, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am real glad i read this thread. I have been thining for awhile that i needed to try this. A roofer friend of mine has been pushing me to do it. After reading this though, i think i will continue to use my proven methods which i have been happy with.

tom

J & D PROPERTY MAINTENANCE
Old 03-07-2003, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Mow and Snow, you are very wise to learn from other people's mistakes. I, unfortunately, have learned most of my lessons the hard way.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 03-08-2003, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh trust me, I have learned almost all I know the HARD way....

J & D PROPERTY MAINTENANCE
Old 03-08-2003, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my first year using the YP's. I lucked out when I signed on because it was the last week they were taking ad requests and so I recieved 60% off, whichs makes it a $100 per month investment. I got a 2 inch by 2 inch color ad so I think I got a pretty good deal. I live in the midwest and have recieved a few calls already and we still have snow on the ground. So it is starting out good but to early to tell. Even if I do break even I wouldnt say that the account I landed was being moved free just because it barely pays for the ad because I feel that It gets your name out there and after people see it enough they will call. Like I said though im no expert will YP results but It cant hurt. Hope you have good luck with yours.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

what part of VA are you from? If you are in South west Va I wouldn't bother with a big add. I have had less than desirable results from my ads over the last 4 years. I just droped back this year to just a bold listing and no block ad. I get more calls from people who see my truck at job than I have from the pages.

No, I'm not tring to keep you from advertizing in my area. I don't really want any more work anyway, sell ing the biz soon.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In general your best advertising besides word of mouth is high concentration in clusters. In other words, we go no more than a 7 mile radius, but w/ 4 trucks and close to 300 accouints (fert, maint, snow, landscape), most people see one or more of our trucks at least once a week. Also, a well lettered and uniformed staff help lots.

It is different for companies who do more specialization work (tree trimming, irrigation, landscaping, night lighting, pavers, etc). These guys generally need to reach clients more for 1X work - sure they get some repeat work, but it takes a whole lot more than the guys looking to get weekly accounts.

I guess this is why the roofing guy that is a friend of Mow & Snow feels the ROI on his add is indisposable.

BOb
Old 03-10-2003, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to disagree with with jim, just a little though...about the part for working for free. I have a yellow page add and its no.1 position. Same with the newspaper. no. 1 position except the time someone cut in line with ACCEPTING NEW CLIENTS over my Affordable Lawncare The only thing I disagree with is that if you get 1 call from a yellow page add and it turns into a $50.00 account for example; You cut him 25-30 times a year=$1250.00-$1500.00 a year(minus overhead and taxes etc). The add cost $50.00 a month for a small block=$600.00 a year. Your still making money, the add paid for itself with 1 call. I guarantee you will get more than 1 customer with a yellow page add.
I agree that flyer's or door hangers are #1 in advertising, but its a 1 shot deal usually at the beginning of the season. Then your just to busy to pass them out. People lose them, they inadvertently get tossed, but the yellow page is advertising for you year round. Yes you get alot of tire kickers, but if they are local, I'll let them kick mine. If not I will set up a Saturday or Sunday afternoon(always call them before I leave the house in case they already got someone and didn't have the courtesy to call)to go out an look.
Attached Images