Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2013, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I see you are running a Kohler 749 efi, do you ever find a need to add gas, this engine is so efficient I believe it will run on fumes?
LOL! I don't think it's that efficient, but, it does really well. I'm letting it get thoroughly broken in, before I switch to full-syn (currently running Rotella) and start tracking usage. The EFI has been a revelation, though. The response, when hitting clumps/thick growth, is phenomenal. The power is instantaneous. The only minor negative is the intermittent smoke upon startup, while starting between jobs. I was at a Gravely dealer, last week, and their tech said every one of these they've sold does it. I theorized, with him, that I think because the cylinders are lying down and the possibility of running super-low tension rings, there's a tendency for thin, hot oil to puddle in the cylinder and seep past the rings which is causing this. It's not enough that anyone sees any usage. Just that it's happening. I'm not worried and don't really care. I love the engine.

Quote:
How do you like the X-ONE, everybody I know that owns this mower loves it?
Absolutely love everything about it, but, the seat. I wish it had the Super HD seat with adjustments. I may add it, next year, though.

I know you're really fond of the Super HD. I was contemplating getting one. But, I would've had to finance the price difference and I'd really rather not have an equipment payment. I was looking at it only for longevity, as I don't mow with any real speed. Anyway, an HD came in with mine and another X that was Kaw powered. An OCD and baddest-of-everything homeowner took the HD home, for a few days. He brought it back saying that it was way too much machine for him. He took home the X with Kaw power and kept it. He took the blades from the HD (high-lifts) and the dealer ordered in a replacement set and another, as he pretty well knew I'd take a set. I just have to get in there and pick 'em up. The homeowner claims the high-lifts do a much nicer job with QOC. He does have nice grass, even if his cut is a little short. [rant/on] I'm going to have to try them, as I was at a client's business, yesterday, and had to hear him tell me how I mow too fast because his stalky, pasture grass appears uncut three days later. Basically, he thinks the deck should pick up every piece of the plant, above the crown, and cut it off. I informed him the only way to do that is to scalp it to the crown and I mowed his stuff at 3.75", trying to have a nice, green appearance. And, the stalky nature of his grass results in very stiff growth that can't be easily sucked up by any deck. I further stated if he wasn't happy with the cut, I needed to immediately know that, so on subsequent mowings I could try different ideas to get it to his satisfaction. I further informed him that on high-end yards, my setup does a wonderful job and that I can't make pasture grass look like someone's front yard. They're two totally different grasses. I'd noticed someone mowed his grass since my last visit and asked if he was that unhappy with my service. He said "No." and that his son had done it with their Kubota. Then, he went on to tell me how much better of a job his machine did than mine. I quickly informed him that his son had scalped the property, is not quality, and any of my other clients would've run him off. I noted all the clumps and windrows that his machine had produced, picking up a handful of clippings and pointing out that his blades needed sharpening. He agreed to that. I kept thinking "Do you want something resembling a yard or scalped pasture?". Argh! [rant/off]

'14 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R string trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro snowblower
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100 21" snowblower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 10-30-2013, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
LOL! I don't think it's that efficient, but, it does really well. I'm letting it get thoroughly broken in, before I switch to full-syn (currently running Rotella) and start tracking usage. The EFI has been a revelation, though. The response, when hitting clumps/thick growth, is phenomenal. The power is instantaneous. The only minor negative is the intermittent smoke upon startup, while starting between jobs. I was at a Gravely dealer, last week, and their tech said every one of these they've sold does it. I theorized, with him, that I think because the cylinders are lying down and the possibility of running super-low tension rings, there's a tendency for thin, hot oil to puddle in the cylinder and seep past the rings which is causing this. It's not enough that anyone sees any usage. Just that it's happening. I'm not worried and don't really care. I love the engine.

Absolutely love everything about it, but, the seat. I wish it had the Super HD seat with adjustments. I may add it, next year, though.

I know you're really fond of the Super HD. I was contemplating getting one. But, I would've had to finance the price difference and I'd really rather not have an equipment payment. I was looking at it only for longevity, as I don't mow with any real speed. Anyway, an HD came in with mine and another X that was Kaw powered. An OCD and baddest-of-everything homeowner took the HD home, for a few days. He brought it back saying that it was way too much machine for him. He took home the X with Kaw power and kept it. He took the blades from the HD (high-lifts) and the dealer ordered in a replacement set and another, as he pretty well knew I'd take a set. I just have to get in there and pick 'em up. The homeowner claims the high-lifts do a much nicer job with QOC. He does have nice grass, even if his cut is a little short. [rant/on] I'm going to have to try them, as I was at a client's business, yesterday, and had to hear him tell me how I mow too fast because his stalky, pasture grass appears uncut three days later. Basically, he thinks the deck should pick up every piece of the plant, above the crown, and cut it off. I informed him the only way to do that is to scalp it to the crown and I mowed his stuff at 3.75", trying to have a nice, green appearance. And, the stalky nature of his grass results in very stiff growth that can't be easily sucked up by any deck. I further stated if he wasn't happy with the cut, I needed to immediately know that, so on subsequent mowings I could try different ideas to get it to his satisfaction. I further informed him that on high-end yards, my setup does a wonderful job and that I can't make pasture grass look like someone's front yard. They're two totally different grasses. I'd noticed someone mowed his grass since my last visit and asked if he was that unhappy with my service. He said "No." and that his son had done it with their Kubota. Then, he went on to tell me how much better of a job his machine did than mine. I quickly informed him that his son had scalped the property, is not quality, and any of my other clients would've run him off. I noted all the clumps and windrows that his machine had produced, picking up a handful of clippings and pointing out that his blades needed sharpening. He agreed to that. I kept thinking "Do you want something resembling a yard or scalped pasture?". Argh! [rant/off]

What you are speaking of concerning the smoke on start-up is caused by exactly what you explained, and means nothing. I've owned two Kohler 28 efi engines since 2006, and prefer their closed loop system by far over the Kawasaki open loop system. I've been fortunate to have never owned a Kohler engine that smoked on start-up.

I had a friend that bought a new 2006 Super Z only a couple months later than me, his mower also had the Kohler 28 efi. He called me one day and told me his engine was smoking on start-up, and he would like for me to see what was taking place. This guy owned a Massey Ferguson farm equipment dealership, and is a first class mechanic. I had never seen this, so honestly had no idea of what to expect. I drove to his farm one morning, which was 10 miles away, we went into his shop and started the engine, I could not believe what I saw. There was an unbelievable amount of smoke that boiled out of the engine, so much it looked like a machine fogging for insects. I was somewhat confused by what I saw, and had no idea of what was actually taking place to cause the problem. I called Kohler and was told there was a small amount of oil not draining back down and this is where the smoke came from at ignition. Kohler did replace his pistons and rings with what was supposedly a different design, and the dealer installed them at Kohler's expense. He told me after this was done he would occasionally get a small amount of smoke at start-up, but it was only at times few and far between.

I have a friend that owned an older Super Z of which he loved, but with only 2 ac. of personal property he traded the Super Z for a new X-ONE. He goes to church with me so I have asked him on occasion how he is liking the new mower in comparison. He told me he loves everything about the machine, he also said he loved to mow grass and the slower speed suited him moreso than the faster Super Z.

I have another friend going to church with me that has a large lot (1 ac) in a subdivision, but he also mows a couple other lots for neighbors, he asked me which mower I would recommend since he had never owned a ZTR. I knew money was of no object so I told him that he should drive to my dealer's business and try the X-ONE. I found it as no surprise when he told me they had delivered him a new X-ONE. It was not long after he used the mower for a while that he told me he needed more grass to mow, and that he had never seen a mower cut so much grass so quickly. You need to know, he was mowing with a JD lawn & garden tractor his entire life, so when he moved to a mower of this caliber, his mind was totally blown.

I know exactly what the guy that is complaining about the cut is looking for, drop your cutting height down to 3" and he will be completely satisfied. Off-breed grass looks better when cut lower, and this is what he is wanting to see, being cut lower means nothing to him, but having a smooth, clean-cut look does.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
You need to know, he was mowing with a JD lawn & garden tractor his entire life, so when he moved to a mower of this caliber, his mind was totally blown..
LOL! My cousin lives up the street and runs a JD front-steer somethingorrather. He refuses to try my X. I assured him he'd no longer claim how great his little tractor is and lasting him the rest of his life. For sure, my mind was blown, too. It's nothing like the older Zs I'd been on.

Quote:
I know exactly what the guy that is complaining about the cut is looking for, drop your cutting height down to 3" and he will be completely satisfied. Off-breed grass looks better when cut lower, and this is what he is wanting to see, being cut lower means nothing to him, but having a smooth, clean-cut look does.
Thank you, for that. Will give 3" a shot, next round. I did pick up the high-lifts, today. I have 8 properties with him, so I've gotta' get on point.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100 21" snowblower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 10-30-2013, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
LOL! My cousin lives up the street and runs a JD front-steer somethingorrather. He refuses to try my X. I assured him he'd no longer claim how great his little tractor is and lasting him the rest of his life. For sure, my mind was blown, too. It's nothing like the older Zs I'd been on.

Thank you, for that. Will give 3" a shot, next round. I did pick up the high-lifts, today. I have 8 properties with him, so I've gotta' get on point.
Ask him if he thinks that is what he wants after showing him the 3" cut, then come back with what he says.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Ask him if he thinks that is what he wants after showing him the 3" cut, then come back with what he says.
I will do that.

'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Echo GT-2000 trimmer