Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
GMLC I'm surprised that you like these mowers because it looks to me like they're using a lot of parts that are mainly straight lines/angles.

I remember your main dislike about Bad Boys was that "they use too many straight lines/angles, and not enough curves" to have (what you referred to as) "a good fit and finish". BB also use "hanger bars" instead of just chains, which has been one of your main topics lately.

I'm just bustin' your chops a little.....don't want to start any arguments.....I really don't! I just couldn't let this odd change of opinion go without mention!
LOL...Actually I have never seen a trellis frame on any mower. This is technology from the racing world.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2013, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Got word on the pricing, $8500 on the base model 3400 trannys with briggs cyclonic motor up to $12000 for the 5400 units....looks like a little pricier unit to begin with, but with lines like that, and if they hold up to abuse I bet they will sell some

13 Gravely 460 60" 31hp
13 BB AOS 35hp 4 cylinder Cat 72"
13 BB XP 31hp Kawasaki 61", 13' 36hp 61 xp
2013 Grasshopper 325D 61" 4x rear discharge w/suspension forks !Awesome!
13 GH 725D Rear Discharge 61" 13' 430D 72"
07 Bad Boy Lightning 52 inch with 26hp LC Kawasaki (just hit 3000 hours and going strong after rolling down the road and totaling out at 22 hours!)
2012 Dodge 2500 Diesel 4x4 Custom!
08 Chevy 1500 v8 Shop dog
"Mow With an Attitude"
Old 10-25-2013, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
X2 Jim, when I see these Altoz mowers I can't help but think of a sports bike!
It is gorgeous!! The Ducati of ZTR's!!

You guys at the expo. Is Altoz allowing demos? Are they steeling the show?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2013, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Here's some more info on the Altoz line.

http://www.altoz.com/content/pdf/altoz_brochure.pdf
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2013, 01:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
LOL...Actually I have never seen a trellis frame on any mower. This is technology from the racing world.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with you. When I saw the pic here on LS I went to the website and looked at all of the details. If they perform as well as they look, and they are (somewhere around) being reasonably priced, they should take a chunk of the market. Great looking and impressively engineered (from what I'm seeing)!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree with you. When I saw the pic here on LS I went to the website and looked at all of the details. If they perform as well as they look, and they are (somewhere around) being reasonably priced, they should take a chunk of the market. Great looking and impressively engineered (from what I'm seeing)!
This could be the first major change on a ZTR since full suspn. Its all going to come down to performance of the deck and chassis. Lets hope we have a winner.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2013, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
This could be the first major change on a ZTR since full suspn. Its all going to come down to performance of the deck and chassis. Lets hope we have a winner.
Posted via Mobile Device
This mower is offering nothing different other than looks. This is merely an eye catcher in design from an aesthetic standpoint.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This mower is offering nothing different other than looks. This is merely an eye catcher in design from an aesthetic standpoint.
I will need a better look but it appears to have a trellis designed frame. The first I have ever seen on a ZTR. If so it would have a very expensive, strong, and good looking frame. This would open up some crazy suspn technology that could be a way around Ferris's patent. I raced Ducati's for many years. Ducati has the trellis frame patent rights in the motorcycle world. If the frame of this mowers is not trellis I agree with you 100%.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-25-2013, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I will need a better look but it appears to have a trellis designed frame. The first I have ever seen on a ZTR. If so it would have a very expensive, strong, and good looking frame. This would open up some crazy suspn technology that could be a way around Ferris's patent. I raced Ducati's for many years. Ducati has the trellis frame patent rights in the motorcycle world. If the frame of this mowers is not trellis I agree with you 100%.
Posted via Mobile Device
I only compare components, not aesthetics, and the only real standout in the zero-turn mower market at this particular time is Hustler's industrial grade hydraulic system with its Sauer Danfoss slipper piston pumps. This hydraulic system is head and shoulders above the rest, with other components used by the top mower manufacturers being basically standardized. The next standout would be Ferris mowers independent four-wheel suspension.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
I only compare components, not aesthetics, and the only real standout in the zero-turn mower market at this particular time is Hustler's industrial grade hydraulic system with its Sauer Danfoss slipper piston pumps. This hydraulic system is head and shoulders above the rest, with other components used by the top mower manufacturers being basically standardized. The next standout would be Ferris mowers independent four-wheel suspension.
One could also argue that the hydro gear transaxle was a technology leap in the ZTR world. In the end its just a component. A shift in frame technology opens the door for components to be positioned in endless arrangements and almost endless suspension options and even articulation points within the frame. But I guess Im a fabricator/technician at heart and know what a trellis frame offers.
Posted via Mobile Device