Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-26-2013, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the info,and pics Jim, especially on the Altoz!
Old 10-26-2013, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
I think I got a bit of a stiffy looking at that Altoz. Man, that thing looks sweet, even if there are a few things Im a little suspect of, like the casters forks looking a little light and the aluminium spindles!

19mph, I knew Puppy would crack it as I read through the thread! ha

Be interesting to see how it holds up. I'd bet it will be many years before I even get to see one so look forward to reviews over time.
I would really love to see some video of it, even at the expo driving around the demo area!

As far as warranty goes on the SZ, Ive recently heard of Hustler (or maybe the importers here) voiding the warranty due to the oil boiling. How true that is I dont know, but it was from a pretty good source.

But that Altoz, man, I want to have a go! Just having the monitoring system is a big step up. So much on this machine was on my wish list!

I envy anyone who has access to this machine!
Yes the latest info from hydro gear on the 5400 dual speed trans states capable of 18+ mph and over 600 ft lbs of torque!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2013, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Jim......You made reference to a "Big Boy" mower, and since you included pics of both a "Big Dog" and a "Bad Boy", I'm trying to figure out which one you're talking about. (Or.... taking into account how many ZTR manufacturers there are now, they may actually be making a "Big Boy".....wouldn't surprise me at all)!
Sorry. I guess I didn't read the name clearly. I guess it says Bad Boy. Anyway, it was the orange one pictured above in two of my photos. The one I rode was the one with the spoiler on the back.

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 10-26-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Yes that is my opinion and it is most likely true. I heard it from an insider. Your opinion is the hyper drive is the best and is also most likely true. Only time will tell.
Posted via Mobile Device
There are HyperDrives in use with thousands of hours according Hustler and my dealer, and this is with zero problems. My dealer's top salesman told me there had been no warranty claim on a HyperDrive system sold from their business, and they had sold a large number of units.

Based on what I was told by Hustler yesterday, their HyperDrive has proven itself above and beyond their expectations.

I was told the warranty covered everything 100% for 5 yrs. or 3000 hrs. on the pumps and wheel motors, and the stainless steel lines already had a lifetime warranty against leaks, which is amazing. Hustler says they honestly are not concerned in the least about failures inside the warranty time frame. You made the statement, "Only time will tell," from these findings I would say time has already told.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
And I'd post a bunch of photos from HNA too, except this isn't the forum.

As for the Altoz, I hate to say it, but my preliminary opinion was that it is just lipstick on a pig. It does have beautiful curves, no doubt. But everything else I learned about it didn't really impress me. First, I learned that it's made by a company called Central Boiler, which I was told is one of the leading manufacturers of outdoor furnaces, etc. Not sure how that qualifies them for making mowers, but whatever. Second, they told me that they actually hired a automobile designer to design the look, hence to sleek look. Third, I drove just about every ZTR that was there at the show and the Altoz was the one that bothered me the most. It was fast, I'll give it that. But there were plenty of others that were just as fast. But what was really annoying about it was the really loud, whiny hydrostatic transmission / hydrolics. It was REALLY loud and obnoxious. Not when you drove it straight. Only when you turned. But it was a good 3-4x louder than any other mower I drove. That, alone, would kill it for me. I found it obnoxious.
This is what I would have believed from the pictures and information offered up about this mower...and I really like the statement, "my preliminary opinion was that it is just lipstick on a pig."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
As far as warranty goes on the SZ, Ive recently heard of Hustler (or maybe the importers here) voiding the warranty due to the oil boiling. How true that is I dont know, but it was from a pretty good source.

Stop and think about this from a common sense standpoint, how could you possibly make 3 gallons of oil come to a boiling point unless there is a cooling problem brought on from lack of maintenance, or a mechanical problem from a cooling component. I don't believe the entire story is being told if this did actually take place, sounds a little like...he said, we said, they said. The warranty would not be voided unless it could be proven someone abused the system. Get a few more accurate details, if that is possible, then come back with a more clear explanation for your statement.
Old 10-26-2013, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
There are HyperDrives in use with thousands of hours according Hustler and my dealer, and this is with zero problems. My dealer's top salesman told me there had been no warranty claim on a HyperDrive system sold from their business, and they had sold a large number of units.

Based on what I was told by Hustler yesterday, their HyperDrive has proven itself above and beyond their expectations.

I was told the warranty covered everything 100% for 5 yrs. or 3000 hrs. on the pumps and wheel motors, and the stainless steel lines already had a lifetime warranty against leaks, which is amazing. Hustler says they honestly are not concerned in the least about failures inside the warranty time frame. You made the statement, "Only time will tell," from these findings I would say time has told.
In my opinion a year or so of actual field use by LCO's is not near enough time. Other systems have a 4-5 year track record, some more. Hustler has claimed for years that they have the best hydro systems. Lets hope they actually do this time...You really have to take what a dealer and salesman have to say with a grain of salt. Very few have the honesty to say something bad about their top selling brand. In all my years I have maybe worked with 1 or 2 that actually were equipment junkies and knew enough about a lot of brands. Most just drink the corporate cool aid.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2013, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
In my opinion a year or so of actual field use by LCO's is not near enough time. Other systems have a 4-5 year track record, some more. Hustler has claimed for years that they have the best hydro systems. Lets hope they actually do this time...You really have to take what a dealer and salesman have to say with a grain of salt. Very few have the honesty to say something bad about their top selling brand. In all my years I have maybe worked with 1 or 2 that actually were equipment junkies and knew enough about a lot of brands. Most just drink the corporate cool aid.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with what you say about dealers and salesman, and this is the case with anything in most buying and selling situations. I have a very close personal relationship with my dealer and his salesman, actually went to church with the salesman for many years, and he has always been an honest person. I can believe what they tell me due to knowing these people outside of the business world for such a long period of time. Most do not have a friendship type relationship with their dealer an employees such as I always have, this makes a tremendous difference.

You can go to my dealership and believe everything they tell you to be true to the best of their knowledge. When someone comes into their business to buy a mower, and they carry several lines, they give them the pros and cons of each model honestly, let them try the mowers for themselves, then make up their own minds. There are no pushy sales tactics, none are needed, their business has always thrived.

I wish everyone could be fortunate enough to have a dealer and personnel as honest and competent as mine. I would put mine against any dealer in the country. Their business has been in place probably close to 40 yrs., just guessing, and their sales have always been really strong, with this being a banner year due to the excessive rainfall through the first of August. They have sold high numbers of Hustler and Bobcat mowers, with Gravely performing the best ever.

Exmark and Scag have virtually begged my dealer to carry their lines but to no avail. I asked them why they refused these lines and was told it would force them to handle more inventory than they could without expanding, and they felt more comfortable where they were.

Last edited by puppypaws; 10-26-2013 at 12:15 PM.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I agree with what you say about dealers and salesman, and this is the case with anything in most buying and selling situations. I have a very close personal relationship with my dealer and his salesman, actually went to church with the salesman for many years, and he has always been an honest person. I can believe what they tell me due to knowing these people outside of the business world for such a long period of time. Most do not have a friendship type relationship with their dealer an employees such as I always have, this makes a tremendous difference.

You can go to my dealership and believe everything they tell you to be true to the best of their knowledge. When someone comes into their business to buy a mower, and they carry several lines, they give them the pros and cons of each model honestly, let them try the mowers for themselves, then make up their own minds. There are no pushy sales tactics, none are needed, their business has always thrived.

I wish everyone could be fortunate enough to have a dealer and personnel as honest and competent as mine. I would put mine against any dealer in the country. Their business has been in place probably close to 40 yrs., just guessing, and their sales have always been really strong, with this being a banner year due to the excessive rainfall through the first of August. They have sold high numbers of Hustler and Bobcat mowers, with Gravely performing the best ever.
Yes I do remember now that you are one of the very few fortunate enough to have a great dealer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
And I'd post a bunch of photos from HNA too, except this isn't the forum.

So on to my comments.....

Some guys asked me to ask about the Exmark and Toro 30s and if there were any changes. I did talk to both of them today about that. The Exmark model is essentially the same, except that there was some flaw in the transmissions last year. That's been fixed now. For the Toro, they told me it's the exact same.

As for the Altoz, I hate to say it, but my preliminary opinion was that it is just lipstick on a pig. It does have beautiful curves, no doubt. But everything else I learned about it didn't really impress me. First, I learned that it's made by a company called Central Boiler, which I was told is one of the leading manufacturers of outdoor furnaces, etc. Not sure how that qualifies them for making mowers, but whatever. Second, they told me that they actually hired a automobile designer to design the look, hence to sleek look. Third, I drove just about every ZTR that was there at the show and the Altoz was the one that bothered me the most. It was fast, I'll give it that. But there were plenty of others that were just as fast. But what was really annoying about it was the really loud, whiny hydrostatic transmission / hydrolics. It was REALLY loud and obnoxious. Not when you drove it straight. Only when you turned. But it was a good 3-4x louder than any other mower I drove. That, alone, would kill it for me. I found it obnoxious.

I thought that maybe it was a fluke. Maybe I got a bad mower or one that was low on oil or something. So I asked one of the guys at the Altoz booth and he said they're just like that.

Good Lord, riding ZTRs is fun!!! I spend over an hour today riding them through obstacle courses, fields, racing them, etc. Kid in a candy factory...

I don't think there's anywhere in the world, other than GIE+, where you could walk up and just grab any given ZTR and take off, without anyone caring or asking you anything at all in terms of your qualifications to ride. Awesome!

Now, keep in mind I never use ZTRs. I know nothing of which ones last longer and I've never bought one. But based on the ones I rode, this is what I found: The ones I really loved were the Gravely, Big Boy, and Toro Z Master. The ones I wasn't at all impressed with were the Ferris (and the guy who helped me was a total ass!), Dixie Chopper Magnum 2250, and Altoz. Some that I didn't get a chance to drive were the Kubota, Club Cated, and Skag.

The Big Boy was really cool, but top speed wasn't very good, which surprised me. But the handling was amazing. I really loved the handling and true Zero Turn.

Overall favorites for speed, ease of control, zero turn ability, and handling were the Toro and the Gravely.

There was a lot of battery operated machinery at the show this year. Lots of different brands. Batter operated mowers, blowers, trimmers, edgers, whatever.....

There were a ton of booths selling software. Some pretty impressive software. Many helping you track your employees hours better. Others helping you track leads, bids, orders, follow-up, billing, etc. I was surprised at really how many different software there were specific to our industry. There were dozens and dozens of them.

There were a ton of brands for power equipment (blowers, trimmers, etc.) that I had never heard of before. Not in trade journals, distributors, Lawnsite, or anywhere. Tons of new Japanese and Chinese companies trying to break into the market - most of them with names I can't pronounce or remember.

Same things with pruning tools. A dozen brands I've never heard of.

For that matter, there were a few dozen brands of mowers I'd never heard of anywhere before either.

One thing that was new to me was: I didn't know we landscapers had a "look". But apparently we do. Because a good 75% of the guys in attendance all had the same basic look. A few lbs. overweight or stocky, tightly cut or buzzed haircut, wearing jeans, hiking boots and a hooded sweatshirt. Apparently, I didn't get the memo. I forgot my hiking boots and hoodie. But that was funny to see how many people in our industry looked alike.

There was a lot more I learned in the HNA area, but that wouldn't probably be as interesting to guys in this forum.

I probably didn't ask as many questions or the mower and equipment companies as many of you would have. Mostly because I don't work in the maintenance side of our company much anymore. So I'm just not as interested in that stuff.

There were lots of nice giveaways. Hats, metal sports bottles, shirts, lanyards, etc.

Well, hope that helps someone. It was an amazing show. I never imagined it would be that huge. I'm glad I came and we're already planning next year's trip. Riding all the different the ZTRs was the highlight for sure.

Hope that helps...Leaving tomorrow. After I go to the Louisville Slugger Factory!
Thanks Jim!

This is some great info from someone with no brand loyalty or bias.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-26-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks Jim!

This is some great info from someone with no brand loyalty or bias.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm wondering why he did not get to run a Hustler Super Z HD, I never saw where he mentioned seeing Hustler. I think he may have been a little shocked at the quickness and operation of this machine.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
I'm wondering why he did not get to run a Hustler Super Z HD, I never saw where he mentioned seeing Hustler. I think he may have been a little shocked at the quickness and operation of this machine.
Im sure if he used one he would have mentioned it. Im not sure if all machines are available for demo?
Posted via Mobile Device