Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2003, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wisconsin Fox Valley and beyond.

I am looking for Cheeseland LCO's to compare notes with as well as spew unsolicited advice and wisdom.

This is like an internet singles bar of LCO's.

Old 03-07-2003, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry Mow Ed, I have no advise or wisdom to offer since I am still pretty new to all of this. I would enjoy discussing any of the few notes I have with you though, but they probably won't do you much good, since I got them from you in the first place.
Old 03-08-2003, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

wisconsin

Cheesehead myself. Im also pretty new at this but live in the big city of madison and there lots of new constuction going on here all the time. Finding new work shouldnt be to hard. Was wondering when you start doing your doorhangers/flyers though if you use them. Still snow on the ground but I would hate to be to late. Good luck to you the white will be gone soon and our as will our rest time.
Old 03-08-2003, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hi there Chad - better get your shovel ready.

promower-I did all my mailings to regular customers last week. I also did direct mailings to new homeowners. It had good initial results but people still aren't thinking lawns. Unless its you or me.

I am gonna wait until we get into the 40's and then go out. We are supposed to get clobbered with another snowstorm today and that is gonna put things off.

I still haven't found out the perfect time to advertise because when its too nice out I am too busy to get the flyers in the newspaper boxes. I don't use door hangers, just because I have had good luck with the flyers. I get more info on them and it is easier for me to target certain areas with newspaper boxes and just drive down the block. I know that I am missing a certain portion of potential customers but then again I can only do so much. Good to see you here, is that the Parthenon with the gyros? Been to Madison a time or two. Nice town.
Old 03-08-2003, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm about an hour or so east of you promower. I did flyers last weekend and will be doing them this weekend also. It's never too early as far as I'm concerned. People that need your services will suprisingly hang onto flyers for awhile. They've been thinking about spring work for awhile I believe. Besides, your marketing campaign should never really stop.

P.S. How much snow you got on the ground by you Ed? We just got about 5 inches a day ago and that's about it for groundcover.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Hey Randy,
We had about an inch to two on the lawns with it snowing right now to beat the band (Sat. 11am)
Obviously the shaded areas had a little more but the sun was doing a nice job until now. We are in the middle of getting 3 to 5 according to the weather. Its good to have the moisture but man I am ready to get moving. We have at least 4 feet of frost in the ground here with it up to 8 feet up north. I know a guy whose spetic tank actually froze. It was because it was colder than hell with no snow until mid Feb. We never did get a good storm to talk about.
Hope things are going well for you, I haven't been thru your parts in a while. Take care
Old 03-08-2003, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I put out 240 flyers last night. Another 200 or so in the next few days. The way I see it, I'm new and NEED to get my name out there. Mow Ed, you mentioned septics freezing up. My father in law is a farmer and had his pump that cleans out the gutters freeze up. What a mess! Like a good son-in-law I spent last week shoveling out the gutters once a day. Crappy work, but a little hard work never killed anybody. Bring on the warm weather.
Old 03-10-2003, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys, I'm down near milwaukee, in Richfield. Already know Randy and lawnsRus inc which is from Pewaukee. Cold here today but they are saying 50's by the weekend, let the melting begin and let that grass start to grow.
Going to advertise in the local free paper next week along with doing flyers then too.
Matt
2003 8.5x16' Great Lakes Cargo Enclosed Trailer
2005 6x20' BNM tandem 12,000lbs trailer
2011 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2005 Scag 61" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2004 Scag 72" Turf Tiger 29 LCKawi DFI
2001 Scag 52" Turf Tiger 23 LCKawi
2002 Scag 52" SWZ 17 Kawi
2003 JD 250 Series II 64hp
Echo handhelds
Old 03-10-2003, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Member

From the west coast of Wisconsin

Hi Ed, et. al.
I measured up a lawn Saturday. Started to snow while measuring. 15 minutes later, I had 2" of snow on the ground and I was a snowman.
I have sent some introduction letters out and will be sending more out this week. I bought the letter template package so want to see if I can get a return on my investment. I may also do some door knocking since some know me by sight rather than by name.
Ed, I finally got my logo created. It is very similar to the one I showed you but added some small stars to separate my name. If I can figure out how to add it to my signature, then everybody could gaze upon the likeness!
Old 03-14-2003, 04:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Hey everyone, I have got about 600 flyers out right now. and not one phone call. Am I getting worried for no reason? Is it still too cold. My customers from last year haven't responded from their renewal letters either. Just starting to get worried!