Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-30-2004, 09:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Brian,
First thing to consider is what vehicle are you putting that 300 gallon sprayer on. You have to remember that 300 gallons of water weighs aprox 2400 lbs. Add to that the dry weight and any additional weight you will carry I.E. fertilizer. If you have the rig a 300 should do you but you have to know how much you are gonna be spraying.
My Walker sprayer is calibrated so I can get about 50,000 sq ft on a 35 gal tank of mix, spraying Speedzone. Each herbicide has a different rate as you learned and the application rate for you walking with a hose is different than me spraying out of a 4 nozzle 8' coarse mist sprayer at about 3 mph.
I currently do not have a tank/hose combination but will pick one up for the small properties this spring. I would stay with the Honda if you can afford it. That price seems in the ballpark if you get a decent pump with the Honda. 400 feet of hose can get to be a bear if you don't have a helper. Heck we only have 200 feet on our fire engine jumpline for 2 guys and that is 1 3/4 dia. I know thats not a fair comparison but hopefully you will have access to areas not that far from the truck. The electric rewind is a must.
Talk to the Reinders guy and have him write the calibratrion figures down for Speedzone. I don't know what tank mix he is saying will require 100 gal per acre, I'm not saying he is wrong. I just know that my sprayer is different and I cover more area with less mix. You have lots of work ahead of you. Can't wait til the temps raise a little. -10 is a bit too cold for me to get fired up about anything but eatin. Good Luck.
Old 02-01-2004, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sodzilla
ED,

Speaking of tank sprayers. I am looking into one. 300 gal. turf master from Contree Sprayer and Equipment here in Beaver Dam. Like I said it's 300 gal, 5 hp. Honda, can't remember the pump, and 400' 3/8" hose w/ electric reel for around $3,300. I could save some money going with a brigs and 300' of hose(unit comes with 300' I wanted 400'). Is this a good price?

Also Paul at Reinders here in Madison told me that to do liquid weed control with a tank sprayer you need around 100 gal. per acre to spray it properly. I'm not to familar with the products yet, but is this true?

Thanks for your help,

Brian

Brian,

If you're interested I can give you the name and number of a different supplier for spray units that are a little more cost friendly and what I believe may be a better unit than the Contree. He's a little pricey. I had one of his units on hold this summer and just couldn't swing buying it. I let that one go and in the mean time found a better deal, glad I did. I haven't purchased one yet, but most likely will once the season gets rolling. Like $500 better for comparable, if not more of a unit. Let me know if you want the name and number.

Randy
Old 02-02-2004, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Just wondering, do any of you guys do Irrigation? It is something I thought of getting into in a couple years. I actually have an install this spring/summer. It is for a friend of the families. We are going to have Reinders come out an help with layout and design. It will be on a $400,000 house on about 1 1/4 acre. We are also going to install the lawn.

After talking to Adam at Reinders in Elm Grove, (he is their Irrigation guy) he told me about a tradeshow and seminar they are having in Feb. I believe it is 2/24 in Neenah and 2/25 in Oconomowoc. Just wondering if anyone will be going to either show. I live in Beaver Dam so either show is only an hour drive for me. I thought it would be nice to maybe get to meet some of you.

Talk to you guys later,

Brian
"Grass is what saves and holds the water that keeps life good and going. ... It keeps the falling rain from flushing away. Blades of grass take water from the air and transpire it into the ground. That works the other way around too. Because grass blades help put water back into the air so that rain can fall again" - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-02-2004, 02:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Brian if your serious about going to the show I'll go with you, I can drive or give you some gas money if you drive.
Old 02-14-2004, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I was wondering, do any of you guys plant flowers fo your customers? I am going to offer it this year. I called around to some nurseries this past week to see which ones offered discounts to contractors. The cheapest one I found will sell flats for $10. Is this a good price? They told me they retail for $17. Also what do you charge for planting? I did a search here on LS and found some people are charging around $30 per flat to plant. I've found though that alot of the prices on this site are not accurate for this area.

Matthew, incase you are interested the best prices I found were at Irish Lane Nursery. They are just down the road from Messners Lawn Care at the corner of Fish Hatchery Rd. and Irish Lane.

Thanks for the help,

Brian
"Grass is what saves and holds the water that keeps life good and going. ... It keeps the falling rain from flushing away. Blades of grass take water from the air and transpire it into the ground. That works the other way around too. Because grass blades help put water back into the air so that rain can fall again" - Theodore Roosevelt
Old 02-14-2004, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Brian when I was reading your post I was wondering were you found those prices. Sounds like a good deal to me, cheapest I found was $12 and talked to a few other nurseries and they dont even offer a discount for contractors.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Brian I also wanted to add that JR's wood sales inc. has some great deals on mulch and they also give a contractor discount. They also do free mulch delivery. I know you said you might have a large mulch job this year check into them if you can get free delivery it would save a lot of time and money.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Well everybody I think spring might be coming. Mid 30's today and low to mid 40's the rest of the week. This snow will be gone in no time.
Old 02-17-2004, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You get it a little earlier down there but it is in the low 30's today with bright sun. I am not gonna get any equipment out just yet. Been disappointed before but it good to know we are over the hump. Take care.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring Green called me day before last, wanted to know if the could service my lawn. Told them I run my own lawn service, and thanked them for getting people thinking spring. He was surprised with my answer. Nice guy told him keep up the good work. I have found out that the "Jones's effect" works well for us. The more people having professional lawn care, the essayer it is for us to sell a job.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com