Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

HaPPy New Year to you and Jan also PR.
I was within $80.00 of 08's revenues so I guess I could feel good about not going too far backwards but I didn't have as much work as in 08 either so I guess it was a success. I am hoping 10 is a better year for business also and I am needing to increase my mowing customer base as I have many older ladies that are in their 80's. Some have been my customer for 14 years!!!

Going to recert in March. I am going to sit thru the class again as it is always informative. Good to see fert prices come down a bit last year, I was getting hammered. No more P in the fert too so I hope you didn't stockpile alot of fert with something other than 0 in the middle. I had been free of phosphorus since late 07 anyway so it won't bother me at all.

Good Luck and good health to all in 2010.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ed, don't even get me going about P. When properly applied to turf, it does not leach. Period. The problem comes when it is improperly applied (ie by home owners or less than reputable LCO's ) it becomes a pollutant. So lets just ban it from turf grass use. Makes no sense what so ever. Gardeners, Farmers, Nursery, and Green House's can still use phosphorous. And it can still be used for snow and ice control as long as the ice is not on a turf area. Give me a break, this is Government at it worse. And yes the grass does need it, even if the soil has phosphorus.

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 01-23-2010, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR Fect View Post
Ed, don't even get me going about P. When properly applied to turf, it does not leach. Period. The problem comes when it is improperly applied (ie by home owners or less than reputable LCO's ) it becomes a pollutant. So lets just ban it from turf grass use. Makes no sense what so ever. Gardeners, Farmers, Nursery, and Green House's can still use phosphorous. And it can still be used for snow and ice control as long as the ice is not on a turf area. Give me a break, this is Government at it worse. And yes the grass does need it, even if the soil has phosphorus.
This why I think the government can not come up with solutions. The P law is not a solution to the problem. Just like the NR-151 requirement. I have done several NR-151s for customers that have more than 5 acres of turf. It never changes what we are doing. It just causes them to spend money on something that was not needed. My large acreage customers are only doing one or two applications.
Old 01-23-2010, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going into enemy territory this week. I registered for the Midwest Organic lawn care conference. Its in Midland on the 28th and 29th. I have no problem with going pro organic, but I believe most of those that will be there will be anti synthetic. We will see.PR

http://www.pr-fectlawn.com
Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Member

It's interesting government worries about phosphorus leaching from fertilizer but when government does the polluting (google Milwaukee sewage dumping). They dump billions of untreated raw sewage right into lake michigan. Imagine if someone claims our drift from treating a lawn was going into a lake. The government would come after you with a vengance.
1999 F150 2wd longbed
2007 60" Toro Z Master
2003 36" Gravely 150 WB
21" Lawn boy
21" Toro
Echo Trimmers
Echo Blowers
Echo Pruners
Echo Edgers
Echo Chainsaws
7x16 Landscape Trailer
7x14 Trailer
1250 sq ft shop
Old 01-28-2010, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrebs57 View Post
It's interesting government worries about phosphorus leaching from fertilizer but when government does the polluting (google Milwaukee sewage dumping). They dump billions of untreated raw sewage right into lake michigan. Imagine if someone claims our drift from treating a lawn was going into a lake. The government would come after you with a vengance.
You have no idea on what the City of Milwaukee is doing to combat this do you? They are boring about 300ft below to solve this problem, tunnel 1 and 2 is complete, 3 is started, with a 4th in the plans. My step brother is a electrician on the 3rd shift making sure that borer unit doesn't shut down.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 01-28-2010, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Has there not been billions of dumping of raw sewage into Lake Michigan? My point is that government is holds private business to a higher standard than they do themselves.
This dumping has been going on for years and it's just being addressed now? Shame on Milwaukee officials for allowing this to go on for so long.

If you don't think there has been a lot of sewage go into the lake, google "milwaukee sewage dumping"

Another good read about this is http://mises.org/daily/1538
1999 F150 2wd longbed
2007 60" Toro Z Master
2003 36" Gravely 150 WB
21" Lawn boy
21" Toro
Echo Trimmers
Echo Blowers
Echo Pruners
Echo Edgers
Echo Chainsaws
7x16 Landscape Trailer
7x14 Trailer
1250 sq ft shop
Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not only Milwaukee but God forbid we pick on the farmers. No I know I am going to get blasted here but farm runoff up here is huge. The Fox river runs chocolate brown after a heavy rain. I am quite sure there are many bigger players than the pee on lawn care guys that cause many more problems than are caused by fert applicators. Don't get me wrong, I think farmers are very hard workers and have a hard job. They do have to follow rules too and I know they are very necessary for me to eat. I am just venting out loud that I don't think our industry has enough clout to fight certain rulings and the politicians hink they HAVE to do something so they pick on the weakest group.

I have yet to do phosphorous testing on my customers lawns however I have been buying zero phosphorous fertilizer for a few years now and have seen no real issue with the lawns I treat. I don't like giving up control and I wonder what is next, limit N? I am still not looking to go organic yet. I can't stand the smell of the chicken $hit.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes I'm aware that has happened in the past. But its being delt with, our fathers before us that built Milwaukee won't have the slightest idea what would happen in the near future. Unfortantuly Milwaukee is a urban jungle and drainage has been a nightmare to that city. Hopefully the tunnel project is more of a solution then just another bandaid. Let alone probably why its taken so long to do this comes from a funding issue. Maybe it will just turn into another disaster waiting to happen, lets not forget about the Hone bridge.

Anyways if your talking about polution leaves, take a look at our capital city and Mandoda (Spelling?) Lake. I'm from Waukesha County, City of Pewaukee. Pewaukee Lake and River are a stone throws away. Our lake is dirty, I'm afraid to swim in it now even though it didn't stop me as a kid (maybe thats why I turned out a little touched in the head). But polution came alot from the home owners.

Picture Thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...ight=army+pics
Old 04-08-2010, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Man did I get sacked with this snow. It was dry as a cork for a long time now we must have got 2.5 inches of moisture up here in 2 days. The snow was 6" deep today and it was wet and heavy. No shoveling for me, it can melt but I am out of business until probably Monday with dry weather.

I was way ahead of the game with my thatchings and cleans. I put 75% of my pre-em down but still have a few to go. All in all I will just enjoy the down time and hope for the warmth to return. "
We are going to be mowing early this year and the dandelions were already out on some full sun areas. Thats about 4 weeks early. Global warming, naah just Wisconsin.