Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-25-2011, 04:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

So when is everybody going to wind down there fall overseeding. I am just about done but I am not sure how to handle the straglers that call last week of September first week of October. It seems to be cooler daytime temps and night as well just wondering what you thought.

Matt
Old 09-25-2011, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cod8825 View Post
So when is everybody going to wind down there fall overseeding. I am just about done but I am not sure how to handle the straglers that call last week of September first week of October. It seems to be cooler daytime temps and night as well just wondering what you thought.

Matt

What do you mean by "handling" them?
Old 09-25-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

By "handling" them I mean do you try and do it and take a chance of the grass coming up does one day, two three days mean the difference between successful and failure or not looking as good as possible. When do you cut the seeding off. We know that you should do the job six to eight weeks before a hard freeze which for us is around the 28th of October according to National Weather Service.

Do you recommend spring seeding even though it doesn't work as well, DORMANT SEEDING how do you explain that to them and how it works. Do you charge as much for dormant seeding because it is a different type of work. T

That is what I mean. In years past I would have a couple overseeding jobs this year I am not sure that I am going to get them done. The lawns that are looking nice that I did at the first of September their neighbors are calling on and asking I really do not want to do any jobs after the first of October.

Matt
Old 09-26-2011, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cod8825 View Post
By "handling" them I mean do you try and do it and take a chance of the grass coming up does one day, two three days mean the difference between successful and failure or not looking as good as possible. When do you cut the seeding off. We know that you should do the job six to eight weeks before a hard freeze which for us is around the 28th of October according to National Weather Service.

Do you recommend spring seeding even though it doesn't work as well, DORMANT SEEDING how do you explain that to them and how it works. Do you charge as much for dormant seeding because it is a different type of work. T

That is what I mean. In years past I would have a couple overseeding jobs this year I am not sure that I am going to get them done. The lawns that are looking nice that I did at the first of September their neighbors are calling on and asking I really do not want to do any jobs after the first of October.

Matt

Im still going to seed. Seed can germinate in 7-10 days with plenty of water and some starter fert.

I wont seed in the spring. At all. Once the pre-m's go down there is no point in doing it. Ive never tried the dormant seeding and doubt I ever will. To many intangibles that go into it.

Id go ahead and do it in all honesty. It really cant hurt anything if you do. If its just aerating and overseeding to an already established yard then you have nothing to lose.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

just curious what the going rate for fert per sqft is in the area. I always just kinda knew by the guy I use to work for. but never knew the sqft. thanks

2008 Ford f250 crew cab
2009 7x14 enclosed
7x12 trailer
2010 52" wright stander
2008 52'' wright stander
2 stihl fx90
1 echo stick edger
1 redmax handheld blower
1 redmax 8001 backpack blower
1 stihl br600
Old 10-16-2011, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey all, been along time since i've been on. hope everyone had a good year.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Be glad when this year is over!

I've been wanting to let everyone know that Shawnee Repair is no more I drove by and there was a lease sign in the window and I saw everyone putting displays in the trash

and 2, I went by Arnold's the other day against my own will and good old curtis isn't looking to good by the looks of it, he mite of had a stoke or something
36' Wright Stander
32' Wright Stander
Redmax Blowers
Shindawia Trimmers
Old 10-17-2011, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC lawn guy View Post
just curious what the going rate for fert per sqft is in the area. I always just kinda knew by the guy I use to work for. but never knew the sqft. thanks

Im a smaller company and Im at $8.00 per thousand sq ft. I was talking to a guy from Ryan the other night and they are at $10.00 per thousand sq ft with a price increase coming next year.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright5223 View Post
Be glad when this year is over!

I've been wanting to let everyone know that Shawnee Repair is no more I drove by and there was a lease sign in the window and I saw everyone putting displays in the trash

and 2, I went by Arnold's the other day against my own will and good old curtis isn't looking to good by the looks of it, he mite of had a stoke or something

Only Reynolds and Maisch for me. I wont step foot near Arnolds with their high prices and terrible customer service. Curtis is a nice guy but they are con artists.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ryan goes up every year that's what makes are phone ring
Posted via Mobile Device