Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-07-2003, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Axles are too light. That seems almost unbelievable that a trailer that size has 1,000 lb rated axles.

If it is true, stay away from it.

I bought a new 6 1/2 X 18 w/ brakes for about $1600 w/ 7,000 lb axles last year about this time.
Old 04-07-2003, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Bruce - Where did you pick up the trailer at? I'm going to be in the market soon
Old 04-07-2003, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Truck, Trailer & Hitch Center in Independence on 291.

They also have a location in Grandview around 71 & Blue Ridge or so - just south of the old Builders Square.
Old 04-07-2003, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff, as the others said, the axles are way too small. If you do landscaping you will be hauling a lot more than mulch. Just one pallet of Pavestone would be too much on that trailer. You will also be hauling dirt, gravel, river rock, natural rock, etc. I got mine at Truck Trailer Hitch in Grandview. Huge selection and the best price in KC.
Old 04-08-2003, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Opted out of the trailer

Thanks for the advice on the trailer -- We were all thinking essentially the same thing. I decided I would offer the guy $800 and then swap in 3.500# axles -- but he didn't want to deal so I let it go. I'll still be looking for a trailer --- I'll probably give the guys in Grandview a holler.

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog
Old 04-08-2003, 11:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Jeff, if you are looking for a used one call me. I have a 83"X18', tandem axle, electric brakes, Bulldog hitch, w/ dropgate.
816-935-3170.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally posted by walker-talker
Those of you from Kansas City, KS....I have a question.
I just came from a trailer service business and there was a guy telling me about some laws that I was not aware of, but maybe you can tell me if it's true.

For a commercial truck and trailer you HAVE to have:
1) Truck and trailer inspected by DOT
2) Carry fire extinguisher and triangles at all times
3) With tandem axles, BOTH have to have brakes
4) DOT tape around trailer and emergency break away cable

I'm afraid it is true. We got pulled over Tuesday morning by the "KCPD Commercial Vehical Enforcement Division" for a low tire. He did a through check of us and ended up putting us out of service on the spot.

We were a block away from Croft trailer on Truman road so he let us drive there to get it fixed. If we were caught driving it anywhere else they'd impound the vehical and could get a $500 fine and up to a year in jail. Croft couldn't't get to it for like a week or two so we had it towed back to the lot to "fix" everything ourselves.

Here's the list/ticket we got.

1. Not having brakes on both axles
2. Not having a breakaway device.
3. Not having 3 red clearance lights on the back of our trailer.
4. Not having fire extinguisher mounted. (we had two behind seat of our truck. Just not mounted)
5. Not having 3 reflective triangles.
6. Not having "annual trailer inspection card"
7-?? Various other small ones for not paying attention..IE Headlight out, clearance light out, etc.

He only gave one ticket. It grouped all of them together.

Here's what he did in the inspection so you'll know what to check/fix.

He checks for all the above and he did jack up the trailer to check brake operation. I believe he was either checking dust caps to make sure they were tight, or was feeling for heat to see if the brakes worked. He checked all lights of both truck and trailer. IE tail, stop, turns, clearance , headlights. Checked horn. Has you turn wheel hard back and forth with motor off to check front end play. Checked for class E license (I know..a given that he'd check for it) along with insurance/registration. I didn't watch the whole ordeal but I'd assume he checked the tires out for wear and **** like that also.

We bought 2 complete backing plates, drums, the breakaway device w/ battery/charger and box to mount them, 100ft spool of trailer wire, 30feet of 12ga wire for the brakes, and the 3 clearance light bar for $275 at Croft. $245 without the 100ft spool or clearance light. This was for a 10" brake setup. We got one trailer done and have to do the other now.

If your even remotely mechanically inclined you can install everything yourself. It was pretty easy. Adjusting was a little time consuming to get all 4 working equal. NOTE: We replaced the shoes on the old brakes, then realized the magnets were worn. Cost $85 for magnets and shoes. It's only $100/pair for the whole backing plates. Lesson learned.

Anyway, Hope this info will help someone.

Hip2u

PS This was a 18ft Texas Brag trailer.
Old 05-22-2003, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Thanks for the "heads up" Hip2u77!!

MATT

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 05-24-2003, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Member

KC area... WAY South

Hello ALL!

I am in the KC area... well, actually WAY South. I hail from just outside Joplin, MO and am looking to get connected to some of my area colleagues. I am 2 hours south of KC and would be willing to discuss any proposals anyone might have... sub-contracting, regional services, etc. If anyone has commercial or residential jobs with locations south of KC that i could be of help with... let me know.

Also, the DOT questions that were asked/answered... were those local to the KC metro area... or are those state regs?? I hadn't heard of some of those in my area... but i definitely don't wanna get caught with my pants down!!

Thanks for any information you can provide... it is very much appreciated!!
Old 06-02-2003, 12:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Primo Maxx

Hello Everybody,

How are all the Kansas people doing this week. Man, we need this rain don't we?

I was wondering if anybody would like to split a bottle of Primo maxx with me. I want to try this out on a few lawns this year -- but I do not need a whole gallon -- which is their smallest amount they sell.

A gallon costs $433 +tax at Lesco --this seems to be the same everywhere. A gallon will treat about 4 acres at it's max rate of .75oz/m.

All I really need is one quart. So if we could find 4 people to split the costs then each of us would only spend $115.00 or so.

Anybody interested?

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping

Kansas City Lawn Care and Landscaping Blog