Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Par Lawns View Post
I got my associates in ground/turf from Longview! It was a great decision. The night classes are easy to fit into your schedule, the classes are fairly small so you really get that 1 on 1 with the teachers.Leah Burg and Rusty Denes are terrific and so helpful. Leah will help you in so many ways, she has so many contacts in the industry it's unbelievable and she will introduce you to all of them. I swear, that alone is worth going there. I am actually going back to retake the pesticide class. I passed the class but I didn't feel I took an as much knowledge is I really wanted to. the 1 thing I will say is it's hard to take in all the information that you will learn in an 8 week class. especially when you are taking multiple other classes at the same time. when you take the pesticide class make sure it has your full attention, you will receive your commercial applicators license at the end of the class as well if you pass! you will get to take classes such as soil fertility, turf 1 and 2, irrigation, landscape design, pesticides! it certainly does not compare to a 4 year degree at a university but it is a great thing to do especially for guys like us that are busy and have familys and don't have time to do any other classes besides night classes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey I know Rusty, No offense to the guys who decide to go to college later but if you want the real deal Come up here to KSU and get involved with our Horticulture department if you want the real deal.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

havn't been on here for awhile. how is everyone? if anyone has any customers wanting a deal on a irrigation system let me know. i only have a couple more installs left and wouldn't mind a few more while the weather is nice. i would rather put in irrigation than push snow.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Make it snow and I will send you irrigation leads.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-11-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgreendude View Post
Don't worry to much about it, if it ever did happen one of the Borsoe Brothers might just turn over his operation to Larry. Plus I know Larry pretty well and He has just been talking about it, For now don't worry about it, if you do the best job possible customers will go with you because you'll have a good reputation. it's also one of the reasons I'm going to only offer grounds Maintainence to commercial customers in 2013, I'm actually shocked how much my college education is helping my business. Also I don't know if anyone besides Natural lawns of America offers this, in 2013 I'll be offering organic and hybrid Tree, Shrub and lawn care options in addition to traditional programs.
hmm, so he HAS considered it...are you in Manhattan (KSU) or are you in OP?

oh and who are the borsoe bros?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
hmm, so he HAS considered it...are you in Manhattan (KSU) or are you in OP?

oh and who are the borsoe bros?
I'm Almost in my third year here at KSU and I also run my Tree & Lawn care Company in Overland park. Hence the reason why i came to KSU so I could put that knowledge back into my business so I can really grown once I'm done with school(I hope to become a large Tree & Lawn Care company (9-20 states with 25+ offices) Anyways the Boresoe Brothers (Jerry & Mark) Jerry owns Boresoe's lawn enforcement while his brother Mark(died in an accident) owns Borsoe's Lawn INC. Mark Died in a tractor rollover I think in 10'? so now from what i've heard his wife is running the show because i still see his stuff rolling. Also From another professionals point of view mark might of been doing to much at one time, rather than Jerry who Just specializes in mowing and a small bit of landscaping and snow stuff.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i havn't even put plows and spreaders on yet. maybe next week.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone have a walk behind salt spreader for sale?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-12-2012, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Anyone interested in being a subcontractor to us this spring? We are anticipating more growth than we can handle with our own crews.

We do basic mow, trim, blow & go - thats it. We do offer one time mows, and next day service for a premium.

Let me know and we can go from there. We stick to the Johnson County area on the Kansas side.

B. Jones
Old 12-12-2012, 04:22 PM
LawnSite Member

dude, just use a grass seed spreader (broadcast), they work great for quite a bit cheaper
14', 16' Mowing
18' Dump

Lawn Gear
Exmark 36" metro, 14hp belt drive, walk behind
Scag 36" 16hp advantage deck, belt drive, walk behind
Lawnboy 21" 9hp commercial walk behinds x3
All Stihl Handhelds

Tree Gear
All Husquvarna saws: Everything from 14" Climbing to 48" 3/4 Wrap.
Thanks to Petzl, Buckingham, and Yale I am still alive!

And I'm 18...
Old 12-12-2012, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was always told not to do that Ethan. It maybe the way to go this year though since we don't even know if we're going to get snow. I really don't want to drop 150 bucks on a salt spreader, especially at after buying a 700 dollar snow blower I don't know if I'm going to use. Threetrails I'm highly interested in that offer.
Posted via Mobile Device