Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2013, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

** Aerator Down - Aerator Down **

Last night I attempted to remove the hole fill bolt on top of the Gear Box on my Turfco aerator. It's been bugging me b/c whoever owned this unit before me had apparently tightened this bolt to the max.. and it was impossible to remove.

So i drilled a hole in the side of the bolt (to insert a leverage bar) so I could remove it; during the drilling process I let metal shavings to drop down into the Gear Reduction box and today when I started the aerator it starting howling like a bad hydro pump on a mower.. I'm sure you've heard that sound before, it's a scary sound! (the sound of money being drained from your pocket)

Anyway, immediately I knew it was from not getting all of the metal shavings out and I went straight to my mechanic and he pulled the box apart and said well there's your problem (pointing the pinion gear that had been ground down to nothing)

It was my stupidity that couldn't leave well enough alone, I had to go and mess with it a week before aeration season is over (and with about 10 more to do) I will either have to rent a unit or pass them off to another LCO

Lesson: Don't fix what isn't 100% broken!!! ESPECIALLY if it's your aerator during the last few days of the season!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I understand your pain!

I bought a used bluebird aerator and I heard a sound coming from the gear reduction box and I checked the oil level and there wasn't a drop in it. I put in oil and it cured the sound.

The most recent issue was the drive chain snapped and it was because everything was out of line and it all needed adjustment.

I'm in charlotte so if you can't get your aerator going let me know.