Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-07-2003, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

98 Dodge

I have A 1998 Dodge 1500 with a 318 in it. I love everything about the vehicle except the gas mileage. 11 mpg in town. OUCH.Everybody I have talked to so far has said the common remarks-buy a Chevy, buy a Ford. I like the truck, I just need more mileage. I'm not expecting to get 20mpg, but a couple more would be nice. Any ideas, Thanks
Old 03-07-2003, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not to be negative, but.

I used to have a'98 4x4 318 quadcab SLT. I had poor performance, bad mileage, brake problems....

I tried a K&N filter, but it didn't make any difference. Mine was geared too high, it didn't have enough power to pull itself empty. It would lug down, then the convertor would unlock and it would drop back to 2nd gear, and rev up to 3,000 rpm!

I took a loss and traded it in on the '00 2500 diesel I have now.

It gets 18-20 mpg..

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 03-07-2003, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Member

I own a '97 with a 318. I installed the k&n filter and a borla muffler and get in the 13's while hauling my enclosed 12fter.

maybe check your plugs and wires.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,

I gotta 95 1500 with the 318.... the gas milage is gonna be based on how heavy you r load is...but deifinatly tune it up....i get around 15- 17 outta mine with 80,000miles on it...Im gonna be putting a dump insert in it in few weeks...and upgrading to an enclosed trailer....worried if the lil 318 is still gonan be able to pull it...the one thing that does bother me is the rear springs sag alot...i will be adding rear air springs to get every bit of towing capacity out of it....good luck

Chuck
Perfect Property Services Inc.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

hey chuck where you getting your springs from and how much? My rear end sags a bit but that's from all the gravy,, oops wrong rear end.
I was considering airbags at one time but as usual I got side tracked with work and it got put on the back burner.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 98 1500 also and about 13-15 around town.. It's average..
My rearend sagged too! I took to a spring placed and had them beef it up in rear. Cost me $225 for it and that was in sept. 2001 and only settled about 3 inches form settling and carrying weight. When I got it back they had raised it 4 inches more then it sat coming form dealer new..
Old 03-10-2003, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Hey Landscapingpoolguy,
Do you have any aftermarket parts on the truck? I would be happy with 15-17mpg. I'm getting 11 empty.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey guys,

no everthing is stock, just had a tune up done complete with new plugs wires and cap, throttle body cleaning etc etc, and a new exhaust. Turns out i had the wrong exhaust on my truck... the tail pipe fell off and they coulndt match it up with that specific exhaust so now i just had a whole new setup put on...also i keep the oil change regular....i do em evey 3 grand on the button...i got a free oil change card from the stealership when i bought the truck so i take full advantage of it. other than that its all stock still...when i ad the air springs I figure the whole thing should level out nicely when loaded up....goin to get them from truckspring or automotive accessory.com.....the whole setup should run around $400.00. ... I figure once i put the dump insert in the back ill need the extra spring strength. Plus the air springs will make the ride more tolerable when im just driving the truck around normally...granted this is not my daily driver but i like a nice ride....i figure if i can build this thing up a bit then i dont have to invest in a larger truck...which costs more in fuel and insurance in the long wrong...plus if i do go sell it itll be setup with a all new stuff a dump insert and a plow...can any landscaper/or contractor pass up a fully built up rig. i dont think so. Basically im try to make a 1/2 ton truck do the work of a 1 or 3/4 ton. Eventully ill go for a cab over mitsu fuso only cause they are 4x4 and out here in NJ, ya need it to plow with. But for right now my lil 1/2 ton 4x4 seems to be doin teh work just fine.

Chuck