Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-18-2014, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bobcat 743 I found forsale

found this little 743 for $5,000. I recently purchased a shop and could really use a little workhorse to move material around here and there. I know come winter I would want a newer unit, full enclosed cab, heat etc for snow removal, but if I can get by with a cheap little skid until I could upgrade later I would be good with that. Whats your guys thoughts on this unit? From what I understand it has no mechanical issues. Not sure if its worth a shot to buy a cheap skid or just hold out and buy something newer later on. The price is pretty tempting as long as its not a gutless turd. ive yet to see it in person but wanted opinions before I take a look.
Attached Images

Last edited by HPSInc; 05-18-2014 at 01:59 AM.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

New paint job is a red flag for me. What is that paint covering up, so to speak. I would rather see a machine in "as is" condition when buying.
Price sounds too good to be true though. If it runs and operates, it should be worth that much.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

As long is there is no welds I don't care about new paint. What exactly could paint cover up?

$5k ain't bad for a shop machine. It won't unload pallets though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2014, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's an old machine, paint is to be expected. I'd look real hard for welds or any rust from loading salt. Paint does cover up a lot until you get it home and start noticing things.

What are you trying to move around the shop?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2014, 12:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That machine is really old, i wouldnt buy it. $5k sounds cheap now but you have to remember when things break on skids they are not cheap to fix.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2014, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Paint can divert your attention from numerous problems. As mentioned, rust issues, cracks in structural areas, worn out bushings and pins, and who knows what other things.
We call a freshly painted, old machine, one that has had a "Sherwin Williams" overhaul.
Check out big machinery auctions. Why do you think they spend money on paint and decals for older machines they are selling? answer: Make it look pretty to divert attention from all the problem areas !!!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Paint can divert your attention from numerous problems. As mentioned, rust issues, cracks in structural areas, worn out bushings and pins, and who knows what other things.
We call a freshly painted, old machine, one that has had a "Sherwin Williams" overhaul.
Check out big machinery auctions. Why do you think they spend money on paint and decals for older machines they are selling? answer: Make it look pretty to divert attention from all the problem areas !!!!!
You can still see all those issues under fresh paint
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2014, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 3 acres with my shop on it. The place I purchase material ended dumping of material at their location this year. Luckily I have a place I can do it, although Im not too thrilled about it. Either way, I mainy just bring back leaves, sticks, and soil edging. I want to pile up the leaves or mash them around. I plan to use all the soil edgings to fill in low areas and fill in a couple "roadways" heading out back that have low spots. Also, there are several downed trees and im cutting them up and hand moving the logs and piling them up. Ive used my truck and it got buried back there pretty bad and I still have to walk each log over to my truck whereas I can get a skid right where I need it. Lastly, I plan to build some material bins and have my own mulch pile and eventually a soil barn. So something I could use to load my trucks/trailers. I could wait a few months and buy a much newer unit. This is the first month all my commercial checks came in, so im not able to spend too much on another piece of equipment just yet. By the time fall gets here I should be able to spend around $20k for a nicer unit. I do not want to take out a loan so it must be bought outright. Just wasn't sure if its worth buying a cheap one now, or just holding out for something better. I am not desperately needing one yet, but it would allow me to start doing more than I currently am. If waiting for a better unit is the wiser choice I will do that. Id hate to have to dump a bunch of money into something old that I plan to sell in a few months anyways.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well you can get two. One for shop work and one for job shops. No need to spend 30k for a shop machine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-18-2014, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If I was you I would just wait and get a newer machine once you've got more money in the bank.

I've yet to buy a used piece of equipment that something hasn't broke on, once I started using it.
Posted via Mobile Device