Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-24-2015, 06:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Repainting a Mower

I have a 1990 Toro 21" mower (model #26624). It's still in excellent mechanical order, all I've had to do recently was replace a leaky valve cover gasket, but that's not the point.

The paint on the mower has bubbled and peeled in a lot of areas, and occasional pressure washing has made a lot of it come off. I've done a little bit of research but do y'all have any recommendations on what brand/type of paint to use that is a good match for Toro red? Also, the decals are discontinued on this mower and most of them are pretty worn off, scratched up, and in some cases peeling off, so what's y'all's opinions? Keep the old or just remove them and go with an unmarked mower, maybe put some newer style toro decals on it?

Also, every time I try and upload photos to this website they fail to upload. Any ideas why? Its happens when I try and upload photos from my phone and photos from my camera.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to your toro dealer and buy toro red paint and they may be able to order original decals.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Well, I'd rather not spend the extra money on toro red paint when you can get a matching paint color for 1/3 the cost. So if anybody knows of a paint color that *matches* toro red, please comment.

I apologize for posting this thread in the picture forum as there won't be any pictures for a while lol.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We paint our mowers every year.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If your painting the whole mower than just buy red paint that's close. If you spot spraying areas I wouldn't use anything else but oem or its going to look bad. Also keep in mind when you go to sell this mower later down the road and it has a couple different shades of red here and there and some paint on the engine, white over spray on the wheels. You will get low offers but that's what you get when you want to save a buck and take short cuts. All this time that your wasting asking people where to get red toro paint you could have had the real red toro paint and been done with this project.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Paint it purple and really screw with people's heads.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
If you spot spraying areas I wouldn't use anything else but oem or its going to look bad.
It's going to look bad no matter what paint you use if you spot spray. The mower is 20+ years old, it's going to have faded out quite a bit. The only option is to paint the entire thing.

Impeach Obammy the Commie.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I would use implement paint (probably farmall red) and paint the entire deck. Implement paint seems to be a lot tougher and hold up well to abuse. As far as toro stickers go I wouldn't bother replacing them, I would put my stickers on it before I would put theirs. Don't worry about resale it's 25 years old...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-26-2015, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to Tractor Supply, get a gallon of tractor paint and call it a day.