Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:19 AM
09daxman 09daxman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oakdale, MN
Posts: 61
leaf blow out issue

Hey there everyone, I have a 2010 john deere 910a and a protera bagging unit on it. I bought the mower with a 2 bag bagging system on it but I needed to get something for the leaf season cause well the bags just filled up way to quickly, so I got a protera HV18 dump from seat hopper. The new HV118 still uses the john deere power flow, and tube to get the clippings into the hopper. Now the issue that im having with it is when ever I cut and bag leafs, a lot of leaves blow out from the right side of the deck and not get sucked up and into the hopper, it did it with the 2 bag system but not nearly as much. I took a video with my gopro to show you whats going on. Any ideas on how I fix it? I can do stripes with my mower which isn't really that big of a deal but when Im trying to suck up the last little bit of leaves in an area it just kinda blows the leaves all over and I have to do a coupe of added passes to clean everything up. Nothing is damaged or missing, and the tube is not getting plugged either. Here is what im talking about. Thanks for your help

http://youtu.be/9o6IJ3WZNyk
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-25-2013, 01:47 AM
EvergreenLawnsWA EvergreenLawnsWA is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: WA
Posts: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09daxman View Post
Hey there everyone, I have a 2010 john deere 910a and a protera bagging unit on it. I bought the mower with a 2 bag bagging system on it but I needed to get something for the leaf season cause well the bags just filled up way to quickly, so I got a protera HV18 dump from seat hopper. The new HV118 still uses the john deere power flow, and tube to get the clippings into the hopper. Now the issue that im having with it is when ever I cut and bag leafs, a lot of leaves blow out from the right side of the deck and not get sucked up and into the hopper, it did it with the 2 bag system but not nearly as much. I took a video with my gopro to show you whats going on. Any ideas on how I fix it? I can do stripes with my mower which isn't really that big of a deal but when Im trying to suck up the last little bit of leaves in an area it just kinda blows the leaves all over and I have to do a coupe of added passes to clean everything up. Nothing is damaged or missing, and the tube is not getting plugged either. Here is what im talking about. Thanks for your help

http://youtu.be/9o6IJ3WZNyk

Try throttling down a bit, to half throttle or so. For me it always seems that when trying to suck up leaves at full throttle, the blades are actually acting like a fan, and blowing the leaves instead of sucking them up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-25-2013, 04:01 PM
wilsonsground wilsonsground is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: brookline, nh
Posts: 94
Not familiar with the Deere, but does the baffle under the deck adjust?
__________________
2011 f350 crew cab short box
1999 K3500 6.5
Scag Walkbehind
Scag VRIDE
Scag Rider
Stihl BR600's
Stihl wackers/hedge trimmers
Little Wonder Vac/Walk behind blower
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-25-2013, 04:36 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonsground View Post
Not familiar with the Deere, but does the baffle under the deck adjust?
NO.

However, OP, get a set of either OEM medium lifts like those used on the 915B/Z720A or better yet IMO, the wavy mulching blades from your dealer. Not only will you get more into your bagger before it's full, you'll get a LOT less blowout from them.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-27-2013, 08:51 PM
09daxman 09daxman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oakdale, MN
Posts: 61
I tried to throttle down but that didn't help out at all.

Ridin green, I will give those blades a try, do they sell they wavy mulching blades for the 910 or do I have to get them from a different machine? Or should I say if I ask my dealer for wavy mulching blades for a 910 will they know what I'm talking about? Haha thanks for your help
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,901
Many don't have a clue about the wavy mulchers. They'll tell you they don't exist even. They do. Just tell them you want the wavy mulchers that come with the mulch kit for a 910, 920 etc for the same sized deck you have.
I don't have time right now, but you can look up the blade part number on JD parts .com. If you can't find it, post what size deck you have and if I get time later, I'll look it up.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-27-2013, 10:01 PM
grassmasterswilson grassmasterswilson is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: nc
Posts: 3,431
I owned an exmark with bagging unit years ago and had blowout like that. Especially on thin or bare areas of a lawn. I never attempted to fix it. Seemed there was a gap between the side blower and deck. Maybe sealing off the gap would have worked. Could have also been my blades, they were stock high lift.

That's the main reason I switched to a walker mower.
__________________
GrassMasters, LLC
Wilson, NC
www.grassmasterswilson.com
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-27-2013, 11:10 PM
09daxman 09daxman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oakdale, MN
Posts: 61
^^^^ There isn't a gap between the blower unit and the mower. I checked and made sure that its nice and tight to the mower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Many don't have a clue about the wavy mulchers. They'll tell you they don't exist even. They do. Just tell them you want the wavy mulchers that come with the mulch kit for a 910, 920 etc for the same sized deck you have.
I don't have time right now, but you can look up the blade part number on JD parts .com. If you can't find it, post what size deck you have and if I get time later, I'll look it up.
Thanks a lot, I will give them a call and see what they say. I have a 48 inch deck 7 iron, no MOD. With the blades being a mulch type design blade, will the clippings make it over to the right side of the deck to get sucked up? Thanks a lot for your help.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Southern Lawn Care, LLC Southern Lawn Care, LLC is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 312
What level on the dial are you cutting at in this video? I've found that when doing leaves I have to stay around the 2-2.5 mark for it to do any good.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-27-2013, 11:45 PM
Kelly's Landscaping's Avatar
Kelly's Landscaping Kelly's Landscaping is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Milford CT
Posts: 3,777
As the leaves fly into the bagger they will clog the screens and reduce suction its just the nature of the beast. If you look at the video it gets worse over time so thats one issue. Another is you favor the right side of the deck and do not make the left where you make your cut into a line. The left side will tend to suck in the leaves better where the right side will tend to repulse them. Also in nearly every pass the vac motor was over the leaves themselves and never on clean grass so much of that blow out could be caused from that. I just mowed my own lawn today course I didn't have leaves like yours mine were 10 times as bad I filled the collection system 14 times. So I do have some idea what your going through and many of my passes had to be done more than once but with both my fradan 18 self propelled blowers down I didn't have much choice but to bag.
__________________
http://kellyslandscaping.org/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 AM.

Page generated in 0.07592 seconds with 7 queries