Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-28-2013, 01:46 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09daxman View Post
^^^^ There isn't a gap between the blower unit and the mower. I checked and made sure that its nice and tight to the mower.



Thanks a lot, I will give them a call and see what they say. I have a 48 inch deck 7 iron, no MOD. With the blades being a mulch type design blade, will the clippings make it over to the right side of the deck to get sucked up? Thanks a lot for your help.
You need M136185 wavy mulcher for a 48" deck

Go here, then click on spindle and blade, then scroll down the parts list to 18 where the various blades are shown. The part # above is the wavy mulcher to ask for. My mulchers have no problem getting everything from the left side of my 60" deck and out the chute across the lawn a long ways when discharging, so you shouldn't have any issue with that.


http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-28-2013, 11:51 PM
09daxman 09daxman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oakdale, MN
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
You need M136185 wavy mulcher for a 48" deck

Go here, then click on spindle and blade, then scroll down the parts list to 18 where the various blades are shown. The part # above is the wavy mulcher to ask for. My mulchers have no problem getting everything from the left side of my 60" deck and out the chute across the lawn a long ways when discharging, so you shouldn't have any issue with that.


http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt
I went to my dealer today and asked if they had a set of wavy mulching blades for my mower, just to give them a test, they said they had a set so he went and got them and before I bought them I checked to make sure they where the same number that you gave me and sure enough they actually knew what I was talking about. So tomorrow I will get the new blades on and test them out on my yard, see if and how much they make a difference. I will report back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,437
I can tell you this-
With my MOD closed to mulch with the high lifts that came on it, it would blow more leaves away from the deck than it would suck in under it. After I switched to the wavy mulchers, it now sucks them in from several inches outside the deck.

The design of the blades creates airflow in two planes. One vertically from the lift sail and then again back downward from the inner wavy area, and the other horizontally also from the lift fin since it all can't go in the upward direction alone. That is why they work for mulching so much better, and should also help your situation as well.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-29-2013, 03:44 AM
dave_14385 dave_14385 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Milwaukee Wi. Age. 54 year old fart
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09daxman View Post
I went to my dealer today and asked if they had a set of wavy mulching blades for my mower, just to give them a test, they said they had a set so he went and got them and before I bought them I checked to make sure they where the same number that you gave me and sure enough they actually knew what I was talking about. So tomorrow I will get the new blades on and test them out on my yard, see if and how much they make a difference. I will report back.
Posted via Mobile Device
It should be interesting to see if it makes a big difference, due to I have the same problem as well. Please do report back. Thank you.
__________________
Ehlers Lawn Care & Snow Plowing LLC.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:55 AM
smallstripesnc smallstripesnc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 674
Same issue with leaves blowing out on a 36in gravely walk behind.

Please post back the results.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-29-2013, 11:58 AM
Valk's Avatar
Valk Valk is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Eastern KS
Posts: 2,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I can tell you this-
With my MOD closed to mulch with the high lifts that came on it, it would blow more leaves away from the deck than it would suck in under it. After I switched to the wavy mulchers, it now sucks them in from several inches outside the deck.

The design of the blades creates airflow in two planes. One vertically from the lift sail and then again back downward from the inner wavy area, and the other horizontally also from the lift fin since it all can't go in the upward direction alone. That is why they work for mulching so much better, and should also help your situation as well.
With all this added turbulence under the deck, how do these blades affect your RPMs compared to your other blade choices?
__________________
---------------------------------------------------
~ cut it high ~ let it fly ~
---------------------------------------------------
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valk View Post
With all this added turbulence under the deck, how do these blades affect your RPMs compared to your other blade choices?
The RPM's are actually slightly higher on my tach. The blades are only 2.5" wide vs the 3" stock blades or G6's.


There's not more turbulence. Just different. The sails don't move nearly as much air as high lifts, which is another reason for less blowout.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-29-2013, 09:13 PM
greengiant9963's Avatar
greengiant9963 greengiant9963 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Western NY
Posts: 721
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09daxman View Post
Hey there everyone, I have a 2010 john deere 910a and a protera bagging unit on it. I bought the mower with a 2 bag bagging system on it but I needed to get something for the leaf season cause well the bags just filled up way to quickly, so I got a protera HV18 dump from seat hopper. The new HV118 still uses the john deere power flow, and tube to get the clippings into the hopper. Now the issue that im having with it is when ever I cut and bag leafs, a lot of leaves blow out from the right side of the deck and not get sucked up and into the hopper, it did it with the 2 bag system but not nearly as much. I took a video with my gopro to show you whats going on. Any ideas on how I fix it? I can do stripes with my mower which isn't really that big of a deal but when Im trying to suck up the last little bit of leaves in an area it just kinda blows the leaves all over and I have to do a coupe of added passes to clean everything up. Nothing is damaged or missing, and the tube is not getting plugged either. Here is what im talking about. Thanks for your help

http://youtu.be/9o6IJ3WZNyk
You have a double stack pulley on the discharge side of the mower that your belt from the bagger attaches to. What is the diameter of the top pulley? In a lot of cases they will give you a smaller pulley so the power doesn't drain. I put a larger pulley on mine and made a big difference.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-31-2013, 12:25 AM
09daxman 09daxman is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Oakdale, MN
Posts: 61
Sorry I didn't get back soon, but I got the new blades on and tried it out. It did help out a bit but I still have a decent amount of blow out. What I think is going on and I'm going to do a little bit of testing with this weekend if I have time is that the hopper is to much of a sealed unit and air can not escape fast enough. So the blower can only blow stuff in as fast as the air is coming out and if the air can't get out fast enough the power head can't keep up with the deck and it kind of creats an air damn, sense the air can't get sucked up by the power head, it go else where aka out the sides of the deck. So what I'm going to do this weekend is disconnect the tube from the hopper and go cut some grass and leaves. So the deck will still be set up as if I'm going to collect but instead of the leaves going in the hopper they are just going to get blown out the back. It will be messy but the leaves and air won't be trapped so I will see if I have the blow out issue, if that makes sense. But if I do still have the issue then I know my theory is wrong but if I don't then I need to figure out how to make the hopper breath more. I will take pictures and videos and report back.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-31-2013, 12:58 AM
Ridin' Green Ridin' Green is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 8,437
Usually the tube coming into the hopper has a curved end on it to direct the clippings etc to the far side bag first. If that is missing or altered, then the debris may very well be blocking the airflow at the exhaust screen in the hopper. Worth checking into for sure.

Another thing- if you have the cloth bags, wash them thoroughly with a pressure washer, but don't get close enough to damage them, They are designed to allow the air to flow through them, but they can get clogged with dust/dirt and the airflow is cut down dramatically. When new, the bags come with instructions to wash them somewhat frequently.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:11 AM.

Page generated in 0.08556 seconds with 7 queries