Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2013, 10:40 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If we were to carry on a discussion about the issues at hand I would point out that compost does not 'layer', it is opposing textured mineral soils that 'layer'... but you are offended and decided to tell me off, so I guess I'll never get a chance to clarify that particular issue...

BTW, 'pushing people buttons' is not what I do, although I can see that when some people are to think outside their box to grasp another concept, they only 'feel' their buttons are being pushed... imagine if we actually had thinking beyond our status quo mentality... we may actually understand 'tilth'... even this website's spell-checker can't wrap its chip around the word, 'tilth'... maybe someday, huh?
Old 11-27-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wondering how long it takes for a surface application of poultry manure to do some good?? (Not trying to be a smart a$$, just raising questions). Land grant universities have their opinion (mechanical aeration).
Old 11-28-2013, 07:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Wondering how long it takes for a surface application of poultry manure to do some good?? (Not trying to be a smart a$$, just raising questions). Land grant universities have their opinion (mechanical aeration).
Mechanical aeration has to be about the surest and quickest way to get air, water and any kind of fertilizer into the soil... hands down the best and most efficient... that is why aeration(pluggin') was invented...

Whereas standard ferts do little for soil infiltration at the surface, poultry manure and other composted OM will in theory begin the process of building soil structure... soil structure at the surface that allows 1/4" infiltration is better than hydrophobic clay platlet formation...

IMO,,, it is the combination of things that ultimately improve soil tilth over the course of time...
Old 11-28-2013, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Enough is enough!

Would you please learn the difference between platy soil structure and clay platelets and what is thought to cause water repellency in soils.

Hint ... it has NOTHING to do with clay platelets and in fact soil claying is a method used to mitigate water repellency in sandy soils.
Old 11-28-2013, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Soil texture has a lot to do with whether it repels or holds like a sieve... there are illustrations of the several common textures that also demonstrate how structure begins and continues...

I have no idea what the problem is with platelets,,, but we once again have someone here to tell me off, rather than explain himself with rational conversation... talking outside the reality of the illustrations is not rational,,, therefore we should confine our thought in the context of the illustrations in order that we all get on the same page before the highmindedness kicks in and I'm called ignorant...

This conversation has never gone anywhere beyond kiril mocking the ideas behind the illustrations... same here again... Moderators!?!?!?!
Old 11-30-2013, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I have no idea
I couldn't agree more!
Old 11-30-2013, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It is said that when a person runs out of rational thought to back the weaker argument,,, they resort to personal attack... This is all I ever hear from certain individuals,,, never a logical conclusion... I grow weary of this foolishness...
Old 11-30-2013, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Soil texture has a lot to do with whether it repels or holds like a sieve... there are illustrations of the several common textures that also demonstrate how structure begins and continues...

I have no idea what the problem is with platelets,,, but we once again have someone here to tell me off, rather than explain himself with rational conversation... talking outside the reality of the illustrations is not rational,,, therefore we should confine our thought in the context of the illustrations in order that we all get on the same page before the highmindedness kicks in and I'm called ignorant...

This conversation has never gone anywhere beyond kiril mocking the ideas behind the illustrations... same here again... Moderators!?!?!?!
Oh good lord, get over your self.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 11-30-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Stop crying to the moderators. They have given you a great deal of latitude. Instead of attacking others, explain your thoughts and ideas better, be consistent. Your complaints regarding rational thought are unfounded. You have a tendency to reject ideas others have explained well and then later on, express the same ideas as if they were your own. Have you not noticed that on many occasions your comments result in an end to an informative conversation?

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 11-30-2013, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

When it comes to gardens it is easy to fix the clay problem. Organic gardeners fix the clay problem on a regular basis but with lawns that involves a lot of work at the expense of the homeowner.
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer