Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-26-2013, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Trying to figure out what I need to clear brush...

Lakefront property in East TX....lake is down, and there's quite a bit of overgrowth of brush down by the lake....area to be cleared is probably about 80 yards long by 20 yards wide. I could rent something, but really want to purchase what I need to clear the brush....mostly waist-to-chest high weeds/brush, nothing more than a half inch or so in diameter. Was considering something like the DR brush cutter/mower (walk-behind/self-propel) or similar, not sure if that's waaay overkill for what I need and the $$$ for a decent one (Overkill is fine.....I'd prefer it.....but I don't want it to get too far out of hand). Another option might be to purchase a hand-held brush cutter (e.g., a Stihl FS250 or higher) for an initial clearing....and perhaps also (or in place of the hand-held) a walk-behind string trimmer. Could probably get both of the latter for the price of a good self-propelled brush cutter. I'd also use whatever I buy to keep the one of the neighbor's shorelines trimmed (a little more area then what I have) to help them out a bit. No doubt there are other options I've not considered (again, I really don't want to rent). Appreciate any and all suggestions! [Note: I have an Exmark 30" Commercial mower, tried using it on a very small area by the lake to see what it can do.....gets all but the thicker stuff, but I really don't think that's the way to go if I want to keep the mower in good shape
Old 10-26-2013, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Brushhog is the way to go. DR anything isn't, they're junk. Look at BillyGoat and see the difference. I would rent unless you have a lot of demand for this work. Bear in mind its going to leave a rough cut mess. Its not a finish mower by any means.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2013, 01:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Do yourself a favor an buy yourself a Stihl fs250. Is is an amazing machine with plenty of power to spare and if you put a blade on it, it can cut through anything. I mainly use the trimmer head on mine and it can though thick, wet grass without bogging down as compared to lower cc models.The cost may seem intimidating in the beginning, but the quality and performance outweigh the cost. The only issue that I can find with this machine is the fuel tank, it is too small and the unit itself eats fuel.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trimminaway View Post
Do yourself a favor an buy yourself a Stihl fs250. Is is an amazing machine with plenty of power to spare and if you put a blade on it, it can cut through anything. I mainly use the trimmer head on mine and it can though thick, wet grass without bogging down as compared to lower cc models.The cost may seem intimidating in the beginning, but the quality and performance outweigh the cost. The only issue that I can find with this machine is the fuel tank, it is too small and the unit itself eats fuel.
Funny you should mention that......that's the way I went, figuring it was more flexible in terms of what I could use it for. Looking at what I had to cut through, I thought I might go for a still more powerful model, but the fellows at the shop thought the 250 would do just fine. And it does.....put the tri-blade cutter on, hooked it up to the harness......does a great job......it's slow going, but it does work quite well for what I need. Yep, and sure does seem to eat fuel, but I guess that's the price for admission.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Member

The unit is an amazing unit, with awesome power. For the head on the string trimmer, I drilled out the holes where the string goes though so I can get .155 though. The unit carries the extra load no problem.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You really want to make that 250 sing? Get one of these... http://www.airecut.com/
Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
You really want to make that 250 sing? Get one of these... http://www.airecut.com/
Does look interesting....thanks for the link
Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie_h View Post
Funny you should mention that......that's the way I went, figuring it was more flexible in terms of what I could use it for. Looking at what I had to cut through, I thought I might go for a still more powerful model, but the fellows at the shop thought the 250 would do just fine. And it does.....put the tri-blade cutter on, hooked it up to the harness......does a great job......it's slow going, but it does work quite well for what I need. Yep, and sure does seem to eat fuel, but I guess that's the price for admission.
It should go as fast as you can walk...you swing it side to side quickly like a sycth...don't use the blade like you would a chainsaw.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
It should go as fast as you can walk...you swing it side to side quickly like a sycth...don't use the blade like you would a chainsaw.
Thanks for the tip. 'been doing that, but not quite at that speed.....may have to pick up the pace a bit. Hopefully I'll get better at with a few more tanks is gas :-)