Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-27-2013, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I sat down and wrote down the needs I have at this time to run efficiently at a moments notice.

#1: Most Important, I need a CTL to run my sandbag attachment. (Weighs approx 2k pnds loaded), needs to be able to lift pallets of filled bags (2500pnds), lift bulk totes (3k pnds). Move material around my staging area and on site for emergency operations.

So as of now that is my priority to sell my Skidsteer & dump trailer and get a large CTL before spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I sat down and wrote down the needs I have at this time to run efficiently at a moments notice.

#1: Most Important, I need a CTL to run my sandbag attachment. (Weighs approx 2k pnds loaded), needs to be able to lift pallets of filled bags (2500pnds), lift bulk totes (3k pnds). Move material around my staging area and on site for emergency operations.

So as of now that is my priority to sell my Skidsteer & dump trailer and get a large CTL before spring.
Posted via Mobile Device
A t590 will pick that up. T300-320s will easily as well.

You cab have to big of a machine. I would like at mid frame machines. 770 at the biggest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2013, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Kajun,

When I first started out I made some very bad purchasing decisions. Mostly I was trying to get what I thought I needed to fast or not having enough money to buy the correct tool.

What I ended up with was equipment that was to small, a gas GMC dump truck was one of those bad decisions and a couple of times the wrong trailers. Bought a tractor once that I though had some life left in it and was wrong. That was just one $8000 mistake.

If I had to it over again I would think very hard about what you need, have to have.
In your situation think about what you have to have to be able to do your sand bags. Other than that don't buy, make some money, and make sure this thing will work out.

How many sand bags have you sold? Don't spend money on truck bling or even lettering etc, get the most important stuff first. Once you get you first big order then think about spending money on selling more bags, not more equipment.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacd View Post
Kajun,

When I first started out I made some very bad purchasing decisions. Mostly I was trying to get what I thought I needed to fast or not having enough money to buy the correct tool.

What I ended up with was equipment that was to small, a gas GMC dump truck was one of those bad decisions and a couple of times the wrong trailers. Bought a tractor once that I though had some life left in it and was wrong. That was just one $8000 mistake.

If I had to it over again I would think very hard about what you need, have to have.
In your situation think about what you have to have to be able to do your sand bags. Other than that don't buy, make some money, and make sure this thing will work out.

How many sand bags have you sold? Don't spend money on truck bling or even lettering etc, get the most important stuff first. Once you get you first big order then think about spending money on selling more bags, not more equipment.
Extremely sound advice!

I wish I had forums like this and the internet back when I was starting out in the seventies. There's a lot of good advice here, but there's also the danger of seeing the success of a few and wanting that so bad that the focus on the basics is lost. For every success story you see here, there are hundreds if not thousands of failure stories that you'll never hear...and it's not because they didn't try just as hard.

You don't know me, so take it for what it's worth, but my advice is to focus on the basics, as in market yourself, make good contacts, strive to be the best at what you're doing now and forget about the wanta-haves for the time being. You will make bad choices if you don't. Bling and truck wraps don't sell work...good work sells more work. Don't lose your dream, but don't pigeon hole yourself into it either.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Member

kajun,

I have been following your threads all along and one this is evident, you have ambition, desire, and the drive.

That being said, don't take this the wrong way but most of the time you are all over the place. Do I buy this truck or that truck, this trailer or that trailer and so on.

Buying equipment is fun and exciting but paying for that equipment is what you will be doing long after the fun is over.

Focus, focus, focus, get customers first, get orders, sell, sell, sell. You do enough of that and you get to buy all the equipment you need or want.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacd View Post
kajun,

I have been following your threads all along and one this is evident, you have ambition, desire, and the drive.

That being said, don't take this the wrong way but most of the time you are all over the place. Do I buy this truck or that truck, this trailer or that trailer and so on.

Buying equipment is fun and exciting but paying for that equipment is what you will be doing long after the fun is over.

Focus, focus, focus, get customers first, get orders, sell, sell, sell. You do enough of that and you get to buy all the equipment you need or want.
This is the feeling I get also. Seems like you have a great opportunity but stay focused and don't spend it before you have it. Good luck with the new business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-28-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the best advice I can give when it come to getting into the big truck/equipment league is "Overkill Is Underrated" that is the motto I follow with my businesses and it works out great. when I first started doing tree work I had bought an 8" chipper and thought this will be good for now, I could have afforded the bigger chipper but I settled for what I thought I needed. that was ok but I outgrew it overnight. when it came time for an upgrade and expansion I followed the new motto, we said we need a 12" chipper with a 4000lb winch so I bought an 18" chipper with an 8000lb winch and we constantly max the 18" chipper out but it was good to buy bigger.

with that said if you decide you need the CTL and think a T190 will work buy a T300 or T320. and when you decide to get a dump truck and think a single axle 25900# GVWR truck will work (I can promise it wont I know form experience) buy full CDL truck. I can tell you when it comes to a single axle dump if you buy anything under 36K gross you'll regret it.

plus if you decide to get a dump truck buy a hook truck. if you want some reasons why let me know and ill write a book for you.

Good Luck
Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffster View Post
Because they are under CDL.
You my friend are wrong and this shows how little you know about trucks both of those trucks can be equipped under or over cdl. The reason they are moving to these trucks regardless of the gvw they are rated for is because they last 3 times as long, get almost the same mpg loaded and can safely carry much more weight.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOREDIRT View Post
You my friend are wrong and this shows how little you know about trucks both of those trucks can be equipped under or over cdl. The reason they are moving to these trucks regardless of the gvw they are rated for is because they last 3 times as long, get almost the same mpg loaded and can safely carry much more weight.
Posted via Mobile Device
How is he wrong? They are under Cdl. Company I worked for had probably ten of them all rated at 25,999.

Although skid put then over cdl, owner didn't care
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2013, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That's because they know its cheaper to pay the over weight ticket than it is to pay a cdl driver. Most cdl drivers want to sit on their azz all day and just drive , most do not want to have to drive then operate equipment or do labor intensive work