Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
I agree with you Krafty. I got an awesome deal on the trailer and will prolly sell for double what I paid.

Everybody says well what off you another bad hurricane, makes no sense to just have it sitting around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good a flatbed dump. Remove able sides l like a stake body.

That little truck you put up would be good for pulling a trailer but almost point less for material
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 03:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

you're about the only guy I have known of who uses a trailer that large regularly... Like others have said, I'd get rid of the trailer and get a dump w/lowboy to haul the skid on. It would be nice to be able to carry your material and equipment both, not just one or the other.
Old 10-27-2013, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Jacob believe me a switch and go or roll off truck will make you money and make your life easier. You were already pondering the idea of spending 9 or 10 grand on a roll off trailer...

Need to move a skid or mini ex to a job? put it in a box and go. No need to bring the trailer. Doing a government job and need a site office / small tool storage have a box made, doing debris cleanup or chipping? have a box made to chip right into or take a high sided box and put the tarp on and chip right into it. Need to move some debris from one job but also have to move something on another? drop one box grab another and go. Getting into erosion control at some point you will need a hydro seeder. Have one made with rails that you can move with the truck.I can go on for hours with different scenarios about the pros of these trucks.

It is very easy to under estimate a rolloff or switch and go until you have actually owned one. I can say with complete certainty that our roll off has played a huge part in where the business is today and has made everyones lives easier.

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 10-27-2013, 05:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=3568949
http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=4705685 http://www.truckpaper.com/listingsde...x?OHID=4692639

A.E.L

Land Clearing, Grinding services, Mulch Production, Excavating, Grading

Check out our new YouTube account!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWI...YEpKMXUcrB1jBw
Old 10-27-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
Jacob believe me a switch and go or roll off truck will make you money and make your life easier. You were already pondering the idea of spending 9 or 10 grand on a roll off trailer...

Need to move a skid or mini ex to a job? put it in a box and go. No need to bring the trailer. Doing a government job and need a site office / small tool storage have a box made, doing debris cleanup or chipping? have a box made to chip right into or take a high sided box and put the tarp on and chip right into it. Need to move some debris from one job but also have to move something on another? drop one box grab another and go. Getting into erosion control at some point you will need a hydro seeder. Have one made with rails that you can move with the truck.I can go on for hours with different scenarios about the pros of these trucks.

It is very easy to under estimate a rolloff or switch and go until you have actually owned one. I can say with complete certainty that our roll off has played a huge part in where the business is today and has made everyones lives easier.
I couldn't agree more. I would give up my personal pickup before I let go of our roll off trucks. We literally use them for every aspect of our business. We even have blank sets of rail made some times and fabricate our own bodies to go on them. Hands down the best move I ever made was switching to a roll off truck.

As for the switch n go however I do disagree. I have been down that road and would not recommend you go with one. Spend the money on a used hook lift or cable style roll off. You can get a flat bed for your equipment, and pallets, and dump boxes for bulk materials. Trucks don't make money when they are sitting in your yard, buy a truck that can be versatile for everything and keep it moving!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for the advice fellas.

at the moment a single axle dump like the one i posted a pic of will benefit me greatly for both businesses..
i found a nice 24' pintle trailer also.

a rolloff truck is on my to buy list prolly the end of next year or sooner depending on how my game plan works with getting into drainage/erosion & stormwater work.

Landscape Contractors
Louisiana Licensed: Landscape/Horticulturist, Commercial Ground Applicator, Arborist, Irrigation Contractor, Utility Arborist

Onsite Sandbagging, Palletized Sandbags & Bulk Totes, Emergency Response, Erosion & StormWater Barriers
Old 10-27-2013, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've got a buddy who a fairly large lawn company who has a customer selling this GMC w/ pintle trailer.
He's going to get me the price and details 2morrow.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrayzKajun View Post
thanks for the advice fellas.

at the moment a single axle dump like the one i posted a pic of will benefit me greatly for both businesses..
i found a nice 24' pintle trailer also.

a rolloff truck is on my to buy list prolly the end of next year or sooner depending on how my game plan works with getting into drainage/erosion & stormwater work.
Hey Krayz how much they selling the dump truck for? Also, I've seen someone selling a box truck, looks like it's in good shape. The only thing is you'll need to put a dovetail on it. Let me know and I'll tell you where I've seen it at, if you want to see it.
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500
7x14 OPEN TRAILER
5x10 OPEN TRAILER
36" HUSTLER ZTR
48" SCAG ZTR
61" SCAG TT ZTR
1 SRM 266T ECHO TRIMMER
1 SRM 2601 ECHO TRIMMER
1 PE 200 ECHO STICK EDGER
1 PB 770H ECHO BLOWER
1 PB 413H ECHO BLOWER
2 21" SNAPPER WALK BEHIND
1 22" TORO WALK BEHIND
1 ECHO SHC 225S HEDGE TRIMMER
1 ECHO CHAINSAW
Old 10-27-2013, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I thought you already had an equip trailer?

Everyone wants a hook lift truck but can everyone justify owning one? I thought your dump trailer sits most of the time? Wouldn't a dump truck do the same?
Old 10-28-2013, 02:17 PM
LawnSite Member

a f-450 or f-550 with a dump body are very versatile trucks.... Should consider one of them unless you truly need that huge hauling capacity on a regular basis.... Over killing the truck while gives you advantage has disadvantages such as getting into smaller areas and purely just having to drive it around town. a F-450 or F-550 can easily tow a skidsteer on a flat bed trailer.
B.S. Horticulture (Virginia Tech)

Setup:
1995 F-450 Dump 7.3 Diesel
Horton Hauler 12' X 6' Enclosed Trailer
2006 Exmark Lazer Z 52"
2008 Exmark 48" WB
2013 Stihl String trimmer
2013 Stihl BR600 Blower
2013 Stihl Hedge trimmer
Hand tools, sprayers, and etc.