Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2013, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
I couldn't agree more. I would give up my personal pickup before I let go of our roll off trucks. We literally use them for every aspect of our business. We even have blank sets of rail made some times and fabricate our own bodies to go on them. Hands down the best move I ever made was switching to a roll off truck.

As for the switch n go however I do disagree. I have been down that road and would not recommend you go with one. Spend the money on a used hook lift or cable style roll off. You can get a flat bed for your equipment, and pallets, and dump boxes for bulk materials. Trucks don't make money when they are sitting in your yard, buy a truck that can be versatile for everything and keep it moving!
What's the difference between a switch n go and a hook lift?

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
Yep what's the difference? But everybody has there own opinion about stuff. But it's must be for a good reason he wants to go that route. Another LCO can't say what someone else needs for there business to operate. Just my thoughts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2013, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleen Kutz View Post
Yep what's the difference? But everybody has there own opinion about stuff. But it's must be for a good reason he wants to go that route. Another LCO can't say what someone else needs for there business to operate. Just my thoughts.
Posted via Mobile Device
I was actually asking what is the physical difference between the two setups? I know what a hook lift is and know what a roll off is but was wondering if a switch n go was different?
I was asking based on this response:

"As for the switch n go however I do disagree. I have been down that road and would not recommend you go with one. Spend the money on a used hook lift or cable style roll off...."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-28-2013, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Switch-N-Go is weaker from what I was told. Several people recommended not to go any bigger than an F-550 with the SnG system. Hook is better suited to the over CDL trucks as SnG just doesn't have the juice for the severe duty jobs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2013, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think getting rid of that monster dump trailer is a good idea but to get a regular single axle dump will not really help you. If it had a contractors dump then I'd say it will help you. Haul the skid on the trailer and put attachments or supplies in the box and you can still haul bulk materials. I like the idea of the hook lifts versatility but they have such a high price tag and they do weight more. To me they only work if you have all the different bodies to utilize the versatility but again all the money for bodies where a contractor dump will give you most of the positives without all that investment.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you look on S-N-G's site they make several mentions to "medium duty trucks" such as the 450/550s/650s, etc... I think that the Switch system is more versatile for combinations and custom fabrication. All that I've ever really saw on the larger truck systems are dumpster bodies, cargo boxes, and flatbeds. Switch-n-go shows everything from what I mentioned to skid sprayers, landscape body w/dovetails, basically anything... I don't think the larger trucks are as well suited for "multi-tasking" to that extent just due to their overall much larger/longer size.
Old 10-28-2013, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowDogSVC View Post
There are several physical differences the main is how the box is actually pulled onto the truck. For a hook lift there is a mechanical arm that reaches back and hooks into a bail on the dumpster it then pulls the box up and onto the truck. The SNG system is a cable operated system. It uses a Warn winch that uses a hook to attach to the front of the dumpster and pull it up on the truck. There are other smaller differences such as the box hold downs when it is on the truck and the rail dimensions on the bottom of the box. There are 2 main reason we switched from the SNG to the hook lifts. The first and for most was safety. With the SNG we snapped several cables. Not sure how many of you have personally seen a large cable snap but is one the more scary things I have seen in my lift. When it came to the cost of the hook lift it seems real cheap in comparison to putting my employees, and customers lives in danger, just my opinion though. The second reason was speed and number of turns. We do 8-10 turns a day in the busy season and the SNG flat out just will not keep up. Who every posted about the SNG being specifically designed for medium duty truck was spot on.

Here are 2 videos of how each work. One is our hook lift and the other is the SNG system.

Hook Lift System
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6d7qw5MsM-o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X30fu8B-3n8

SNG System

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9iAAk96blc
Old 10-28-2013, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Also I want to be clear that this is all just my opinion. I am in know way trying to force my opinion on anybody. Just my 2 cents from my experience.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2013, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
Also I want to be clear that this is all just my opinion. I am in know way trying to force my opinion on anybody. Just my 2 cents from my experience.
Posted via Mobile Device
I think these forums are for just that... your opinion. Supporting that with your experiences and some videos to boot to educate those of us who aren't familiar with the system, is much appreciated.

I'm going to look into it a bit more but your story about cable snapping is something to consider.

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-29-2013, 06:45 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the info fellas
Posted via Mobile Device