Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-16-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Rotary mower for Celebration Bermuda?

Is it acceptable to mow Celebration Bermuda with a rotary mower? I have a potential set of clients in an upper scale neighborhood where the grass is Celebration Bermuda. Aforementioned client said the current guy cuts it really short using a reel mower and he doesn't do a very good job (no edging or line trimming). From what I've read it sounds like celebration Bermuda should be mowed between .5 and 2in, and if you mow it higher than one inch a rotery mower is ideal with de thatching once a year.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

upper scale neighborhood...reel mower only. If you pick them up invest in a used reel to get going. if your going to cut celebration shorter than 1.25" it will need to get cut 2x wk in the summer. the guy could be cutting with a dull reel or not cutting enough. if you want to set yourself apart, do that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

scratch that if cut any shorter than 1.75"
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-16-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Member

With bermuda, and the hybrid variations, you have to keep them short to maintain a low cut turf. Once you let it get tall, 2+ inches, it starts to grow upward. The problem with that it when you cut it low again, its all stemmy and the leaf and color gets cut out. When I take new properties that have this problem, I seed it super heavy and cut the old grass low when the new grass is 1/2" or so. Then it never goes through a long period of brown.
You can use a rotary on any thing. The amount of scalp marks will be much higher when going low. Also, the toughness of tightly grown bermuda is a bit much for most rotary. They won't bog as much as they just push the growth down. You won't get nearly as clean of a cut per individual grass blade either. That's fine if your going for a spotted khaki haze look.
A sharp and adjusted reel really does make a world of difference on the right turf. You will have a more consistent color, thicker growth and far less brown tips.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-17-2013, 02:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Upper scale neighborhood. No string either. Weedwhackers are for weeds. I would be quite the monkey's uncle if after cross mowing a lawn with my Greensmaster, I finish up with a string trimmer. Maruyama Landscape Blade for the horizontal trimming, a stick edger for cutting straight lines around hard surfaces.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-18-2013, 05:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the tips guys. Looks like I'll probably pass on these accounts. I would rather give someone else the business and trouble to someone else than tarnish my reputation for quality work.