Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-27-2013, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Member

domain name importance?

I own iMowNH, iPlowNH and iLandscapeNH dot coms. They've worked for me and I have them directed to my website so no matter how you type them they go to my main website that has my company info on it. I bought them for all the states planning on doing a national lead generation program. I've had wicked good success with them in my area. Don't know what your thoughts are on domain name importance in advertising and branding. Thinking about offering them for sale. I put a page on my website to get set up. What do you think?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that lead generation sites are a way to use technology to insert oneself into the local business ecosystem and take money from small businesses...

And I get offered these kinds of domains weekly. I see no value in them to an established business.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-27-2013, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

What headz said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by imownh View Post
I own iMowNH, iPlowNH and iLandscapeNH dot coms. They've worked for me and I have them directed to my website so no matter how you type them they go to my main website that has my company info on it.
As those specifically relate to your current, non-lead gen business, I view it as nothing more than a dilution of your core brand and search strength. Why not just rank your main domain for those cities/states/services, instead of diluting?

Quote:
I bought them for all the states planning on doing a national lead generation program. I've had wicked good success with them in my area. Don't know what your thoughts are on domain name importance in advertising and branding. Thinking about offering them for sale. I put a page on my website to get set up. What do you think?
Unless you've ranked individual sites for the domain names, the value is no more than whatever you paid for the registration fees, and even then... Without any sites legitimately ranking, I could just as easily rank PuddingPlowersOfMars.com for, say, Kansas. Exact match domains just don't mean much and, honestly, I can't imagine anyone searching "I mow NH", so there's that.

If your sites are having "wicked good success", it's probably due to your content sitting on it, not the domain name, or network of domain names.

Also, as a bit of a sidebar, the national lead gen space is extreeeemely competitive and expensive. It's definitely not something you would be able to dabble in.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Member

That was our problem with the lead generation. We were sick of service magic and its games and we wanted to offer a more affordable, no games alternative. Way to hard to get into and WICKED expensive. We did find that the domain iPlowNH.com was so easy to remember that even when people for got our business name, phone number or even what our trucks looked like that they could remember iMowNH. With iPlow it was much the same.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
We did find that the domain iPlowNH.com was so easy to remember that even when people for got our business name, phone number or even what our trucks looked like that they could remember iMowNH. With iPlow it was much the same.
Yep, that's the best benefit/value of an exact match or keyword-memorable name.