Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2013, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Starting a lawn from plugs-centipede/zoysia

Has anyone ever started a lawn from plugs, centipede or zoysia? The lawn I am considering this on was a vacant with bahia and bermuda. I knocked the bahia out more less at the end of this summer and now is thinly covered in bermuda. Next season I will convert the lawn over to either centipede or zoysia and am considering hydroseeding vs. plugging. Your thoughts on one vs. the other. I know both grasses are slow to spread, zoysia more so than centipede.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Plugging is done all the time in my area. Lawn often needs to be topdressed to make it level enough to mow. I rather have a lawn seeded if the variety of grass is acceptable to the homeowner. If the soil is acid enough to grow bahia and keep bermuda thin, it should do centipede just fine. You know my position. No zoysia unless there are means to reel mow that lawn weekly. Zoysia seed is also less certain as far as germination goes vs centipede. I myself am set to kill a lawn and seed centipede into it. Right now, it is a nasty mix of bermuda, weeds and some zoysia. Soil is acid and the lawn is not accessible to my reel mower. So no bermuda or zoysia.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 10-28-2013, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Plugging is done all the time in my area. Lawn often needs to be topdressed to make it level enough to mow. I rather have a lawn seeded if the variety of grass is acceptable to the homeowner. If the soil is acid enough to grow bahia and keep bermuda thin, it should do centipede just fine. You know my position. No zoysia unless there are means to reel mow that lawn weekly. Zoysia seed is also less certain as far as germination goes vs centipede. I myself am set to kill a lawn and seed centipede into it. Right now, it is a nasty mix of bermuda, weeds and some zoysia. Soil is acid and the lawn is not accessible to my reel mower. So no bermuda or zoysia.
Will prob hydroseed with centipede. What is your procedure to kill out a lawn and start a new turf? I plan to gly it, mow low as possible, maybe aerate to give soil to seed contact and then hydroseed. What would be your fert schedule for seeded centipede? Was thinking 20-20-20 1lb per M with hydro then a 1 to 1 ratio of N/K monthly at 1/2 lb rate.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have several lawns on my property, one I did by cutting up emerald zoysia sod into 4" squares and planted those. Top seeded with annual rye. It took a good 2 years to have a decient lawn.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
Will prob hydroseed with centipede. What is your procedure to kill out a lawn and start a new turf? I plan to gly it, mow low as possible, maybe aerate to give soil to seed contact and then hydroseed. What would be your fert schedule for seeded centipede? Was thinking 20-20-20 1lb per M with hydro then a 1 to 1 ratio of N/K monthly at 1/2 lb rate.
My kill out depends on what else is there besides the old lawn. In my neighborhood, there are glyphosate resistant broadleaves and sedges. It is not uncommon for me to add Garlon and Certainty to RoundUp for a kill out.

Your fertilization plan looks good. How are you going to supply the N and K? I like to do it with potassium nitrate and ammonium sulfate. Additional available micronutrients are not a bad idea either.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
My kill out depends on what else is there besides the old lawn. In my neighborhood, there are glyphosate resistant broadleaves and sedges. It is not uncommon for me to add Garlon and Certainty to RoundUp for a kill out.

Your fertilization plan looks good. How are you going to supply the N and K? I like to do it with potassium nitrate and ammonium sulfate. Additional available micronutrients are not a bad idea either.
I am familiar with your fert apps. I would like to do liquid but am not set up to do so. I custom order granular with AS/meth urea and sulfate of potash at a 1 to 1 ratio. It has some micros but not the amount you like. I did ask you about the feature and low volume application and I might do that if I could find that product.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
I have several lawns on my property, one I did by cutting up emerald zoysia sod into 4" squares and planted those. Top seeded with annual rye. It took a good 2 years to have a decient lawn.
What was the existing turf and did you kill it out completly or just let the zoysia naturally take over? How far did you space the plugs? How did you cut up the sod in to plugs, is there is an easy way?
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Changing the subject a little but I have been thinking about converting my personal lawn from common bermuda to centipede. Not all at one time but was wondering about plugging centipede and trying to manage the lawn in a way that would favor the centipede to slowly take over. Any ideas on this anyone?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
What was the existing turf and did you kill it out completly or just let the zoysia naturally take over? How far did you space the plugs? How did you cut up the sod in to plugs, is there is an easy way?
The lawn was planted around a reciently dug pond so there was no grass. You can cut the sod with a machete or a edger or even a sawzall with a metal blade. I spaced the "plugs around 1 foot apart. You would want to till the soil real good other wise you will kill yourself trying to plant the plugs. The annual rye gave me a decient looking area until the plugs grew togeather. I will say it takes a lot of water to do this.

I have herd of fellers putting sod into a chipper shredder and then throwing it out where you want it to grow. Never tried it so don't know if it would work.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryinalabama View Post
The lawn was planted around a reciently dug pond so there was no grass. You can cut the sod with a machete or a edger or even a sawzall with a metal blade. I spaced the "plugs around 1 foot apart. You would want to till the soil real good other wise you will kill yourself trying to plant the plugs. The annual rye gave me a decient looking area until the plugs grew togeather. I will say it takes a lot of water to do this.

I have herd of fellers putting sod into a chipper shredder and then throwing it out where you want it to grow. Never tried it so don't know if it would work.
A common practice in Hawaii is to take zoysia sod, shred it and then spray hydromulch paper over it. That needs to be watered 3-5 times a day until the grass starts growing on its own. It is commonly done on lawn areas over 1000 sq ft in size. The labor to install plugs 12" apart $$$$$$$$$$$.