Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mosquito Control

We do landscape maint and some fert apps etc. to our weekly clients. Just bought a fogger and want to do mosquito control. Anyone care to share any advice and or pamphlets?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In Michigan that is Category 7. I had it for a couple years but dropped it as I was not doing enough to justify the insurance. The study guide for that was very helpful.

Prevention by treating ponds is definitely the better way to go but you need widespread cooperation for it to work well. Typically chemocals are embedded in large pellets about the size of hockey pucks are dropped or placed in ponds and lakes. They work like aquarium feeders in that they can be bought at different formulations to last anywhere from a week to nearly 3 months. Some towns are aggressively working to limit mosquito populations preventively and with widespread spraying of adults Great if you are in one of those areas. I am not.

Bifenthrin is probably the chemical you want if you are spraying to kill adult mosquitos. JDL has is as "Cross Check," I believe. It is worthwhile to get a study guide from your state. Learn the life cycle in your area and what habitats need to be treated.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info, but looking to go all natural here.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Pffft! That was an important detail to leave out. Put up bat houses.

There are some old threads in the pesticide forum about spraying with some kind of garlic product for mosquitos.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Organic...well maybe. I was licensed, also, but dropped it when I didn't get enough calls. Clear heavy brush. Drain wet spots.
Organic and natural: Add fish, minnows or "mosquito fish" to ponds. Bacto vec (BT bacteria pellets) to kill larvae in fountains and trapped water. Keep water moving--mosquito larvae need still water. Add detergent or a thin sheen of oil to water where breeding might occur...so...wiggler larvae and pupae suffocate and die. Mosquito traps that use a carbon dioxide and black light to attract mosquitoes to a suction fan and net. Electrified black-light traps.
If people are around...large fans keep air moving at...at least 5 mph--mosquitoes have a hard time flying upwind.

Business wise--if you need customer satisfaction--perhaps add a mist blower spray with a low odor and the most natural and low toxicity product you can find. Pyrithrins or something similar perhaps.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 10-31-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: ps