Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Larson Lawn Care Larson Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: St.Louis, MO
Posts: 709
Ram 1500 diesel

I have a 2006 6.0L f250 diesel. I am afraid it will have the same problems others are having with it which are costing many from $5,000 to $10,000 to repair. I had oil pressure issues in the spring which cost me $1,700. Along with the fear of failure, I get 11.5mpg. I drive 20,000+ miles per year with a 16' tandem axle trailer carrying about 3500lbs in mowing equipment. I need something that gets better mpg. I have been looking at the ram 1500 Eco-Diesel . It tows up to 9200 lbs, 420 lb-ft torque and 240hp. I do not know enough about the numbers. I am worried about power and duration. I know the torque will be good and at upper 20's for mpg, I will save $ in fuel. But will this truck be the best fit for a lawn care business? What do you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
I have a 2006 6.0L f250 diesel. I am afraid it will have the same problems others are having with it which are costing many from $5,000 to $10,000 to repair. I had oil pressure issues in the spring which cost me $1,700. Along with the fear of failure, I get 11.5mpg. I drive 20,000+ miles per year with a 16' tandem axle trailer carrying about 3500lbs in mowing equipment. I need something that gets better mpg. I have been looking at the ram 1500 Eco-Diesel . It tows up to 9200 lbs, 420 lb-ft torque and 240hp. I do not know enough about the numbers. I am worried about power and duration. I know the torque will be good and at upper 20's for mpg, I will save $ in fuel. But will this truck be the best fit for a lawn care business? What do you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Well no one knows because its an Italian diesel from what I remember. I would not compare the worse diesel engine ever made with this. Here is a bit about the company that makes the engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_Motori
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,859
http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...ck-tested.html

The fact the engine keeps getting called "light duty" would have me raising my eyebrows...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 AM
jsslawncare's Avatar
jsslawncare jsslawncare is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 1,661
Ram 1500 diesel

I'd say it would have enough power but only time will tell about reliability. I'd wait a year or two. I wouldn't buy an import but what about the Nissan with the Cummin's?
__________________
All equipment is wore out. <- Never mind. All equipment has been repainted and with new decals. It's like I have new mower's again!
48" Ferris WB
36" Ferris WB
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,859
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
I'd say it would have enough power but only time will tell about reliability. I'd wait a year or two. I wouldn't buy an import but what about the Nissan with the Cummin's?
I personally wouldn't want to buy a 1st year engine from any manufacturer. Especially something I would be relying on to make money with.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 AM
GREENWITHENVY1 GREENWITHENVY1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: PORT SAINT LUCIE FL
Posts: 93
From everything I have heard on this little diesel have been very good things!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 4,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I personally wouldn't want to buy a 1st year engine from any manufacturer. Especially something I would be relying on to make money with.
The engine has been out for awhile but not with us emmisions. It is only a 3.0
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 AM
gcbailey's Avatar
gcbailey gcbailey is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: southern WV
Posts: 1,859
I mean, I don't doubt that it would be a somewhat capable truck. Let's be honest, how many guys on this site are running mid-size pickups with loads waaaay out of their league. There's people around here pulling goose neck horse trailers with Toyota Tundras.

I think, which again is just an opinion, but if you are going from a 3/4 ton truck back down to a 1/2 pickup. From a load capacity standpoint and such, I believe you'll be disappointed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 AM
kawakx125 kawakx125 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lees summit, mo
Posts: 925
from my experience, rams are junk. i bought an 08 2500 with 6.7 cummins last year with 51k miles on it, in the 15k miles i've had it, i've had to replace the driveshaft, front pinion seal, radio has a mind of its own, reflectors fallen off the door interiors, tons of wind noise, turn signal switch, window motors getting weak and glass rattles in doors, tailgate all of a sudden wouldn't stay shut and had to be taken apart, and i'm just counting down the days till the bedsides start rusting. the build quality is severely lacking IMO. don't know about the new ones
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-29-2013, 08:51 AM
kawakx125 kawakx125 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: lees summit, mo
Posts: 925
I'm anxiously awaiting the 2014 GM trucks to come out with the 6.2. i know a couple people that have had them in the half tons and they get good mileage, much much much better than the 6.0's. 420hp and 460tq. rated at 11,200 i believe with the max tow package
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 AM.

Page generated in 0.07646 seconds with 7 queries