Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ram 1500 diesel

I have a 2006 6.0L f250 diesel. I am afraid it will have the same problems others are having with it which are costing many from $5,000 to $10,000 to repair. I had oil pressure issues in the spring which cost me $1,700. Along with the fear of failure, I get 11.5mpg. I drive 20,000+ miles per year with a 16' tandem axle trailer carrying about 3500lbs in mowing equipment. I need something that gets better mpg. I have been looking at the ram 1500 Eco-Diesel . It tows up to 9200 lbs, 420 lb-ft torque and 240hp. I do not know enough about the numbers. I am worried about power and duration. I know the torque will be good and at upper 20's for mpg, I will save $ in fuel. But will this truck be the best fit for a lawn care business? What do you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
I have a 2006 6.0L f250 diesel. I am afraid it will have the same problems others are having with it which are costing many from $5,000 to $10,000 to repair. I had oil pressure issues in the spring which cost me $1,700. Along with the fear of failure, I get 11.5mpg. I drive 20,000+ miles per year with a 16' tandem axle trailer carrying about 3500lbs in mowing equipment. I need something that gets better mpg. I have been looking at the ram 1500 Eco-Diesel . It tows up to 9200 lbs, 420 lb-ft torque and 240hp. I do not know enough about the numbers. I am worried about power and duration. I know the torque will be good and at upper 20's for mpg, I will save $ in fuel. But will this truck be the best fit for a lawn care business? What do you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Well no one knows because its an Italian diesel from what I remember. I would not compare the worse diesel engine ever made with this. Here is a bit about the company that makes the engine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VM_Motori
Old 10-29-2013, 07:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...ck-tested.html

The fact the engine keeps getting called "light duty" would have me raising my eyebrows...
Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ram 1500 diesel

I'd say it would have enough power but only time will tell about reliability. I'd wait a year or two. I wouldn't buy an import but what about the Nissan with the Cummin's?
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsslawncare View Post
I'd say it would have enough power but only time will tell about reliability. I'd wait a year or two. I wouldn't buy an import but what about the Nissan with the Cummin's?
I personally wouldn't want to buy a 1st year engine from any manufacturer. Especially something I would be relying on to make money with.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Member

From everything I have heard on this little diesel have been very good things!
Old 10-29-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I personally wouldn't want to buy a 1st year engine from any manufacturer. Especially something I would be relying on to make money with.
The engine has been out for awhile but not with us emmisions. It is only a 3.0
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2013, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I mean, I don't doubt that it would be a somewhat capable truck. Let's be honest, how many guys on this site are running mid-size pickups with loads waaaay out of their league. There's people around here pulling goose neck horse trailers with Toyota Tundras.

I think, which again is just an opinion, but if you are going from a 3/4 ton truck back down to a 1/2 pickup. From a load capacity standpoint and such, I believe you'll be disappointed.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

from my experience, rams are junk. i bought an 08 2500 with 6.7 cummins last year with 51k miles on it, in the 15k miles i've had it, i've had to replace the driveshaft, front pinion seal, radio has a mind of its own, reflectors fallen off the door interiors, tons of wind noise, turn signal switch, window motors getting weak and glass rattles in doors, tailgate all of a sudden wouldn't stay shut and had to be taken apart, and i'm just counting down the days till the bedsides start rusting. the build quality is severely lacking IMO. don't know about the new ones
Old 10-29-2013, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm anxiously awaiting the 2014 GM trucks to come out with the 6.2. i know a couple people that have had them in the half tons and they get good mileage, much much much better than the 6.0's. 420hp and 460tq. rated at 11,200 i believe with the max tow package