Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-29-2013, 03:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I definitely want out from under this truck by the beginning of January for fear that it will break down on me. Any other suggestions on something with mileage in the 20's towing about 3500lbs?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2013, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Not with that kind of mileage with that kind of towing. Maybe without hauling something and if you had a 6 sp manual you *might* get there. I've got a 8.1 Vortec that gets a whopping 7mpg on a good day and a 6.6 Duramax that gets 13.5-14mpg empty or with 12K behind it.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've been trying to research the most fuel efficient diesels. The 2011 f250 avg. 19mpg and 2010 ram 2500 around 20mpg avg. If claims are true about the Eco diesel, to pull around 3500 lbs daily and get mpg's in the upper 20's with 420lb-ft torque in my un-educated opinion would be perfect. However, without actually towing with it and not knowing much about engines and towing I need sway. Right now 11.5 mpg is killing me. To get better mpg and risk power isn't too big of a deal for me. But again, I don't know if I will get enough power from the Eco diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2013, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I just don't see ANY truck hauling a decent sized load get anything above 20mpg, especially upper 20's. I know a guy who has a F-150 w/eco boost and he hauls around probably close to a ton of tools in the back and he gets about 18mpg highway.

It's one thing what the window sticker says, it's another to figure your actual mileage. Window stickers don't take pulling a 2200lb trailer with a 1500lb+ load on it too. MPG is figured in ideal conditions, like a flat desert salt bed!

Don't get me wrong, I hope that I am wrong. I think it would be AMAZING for a truck that's full sized to get in the upper 20's mpg, but I just don't see it happening. I know my mom has an old '88 S-14 4cyl 5 speed and it gets about 22mpg and I think that's awesome. Heck, I'm satisfied with my diesel getting 14mpg especially compared to the gas engine getting 7mpg.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
I definitely want out from under this truck by the beginning of January for fear that it will break down on me. Any other suggestions on something with mileage in the 20's towing about 3500lbs?
Posted via Mobile Device
You'll be lucky to get into the 20's unloaded with any full-size pickup. Your best bet would be an F-150 EcoBoost or 2014 GM with the new 5.3.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2013, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
I'm anxiously awaiting the 2014 GM trucks to come out with the 6.2. i know a couple people that have had them in the half tons and they get good mileage, much much much better than the 6.0's. 420hp and 460tq. rated at 11,200 i believe with the max tow package
We had a Yukon Denali with the 6.2. It was a pig on fuel.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
You'll be lucky to get into the 20's unloaded with any full-size pickup. Your best bet would be an F-150 EcoBoost or 2014 GM with the new 5.3.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'll look into those, thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2013, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd fix what you have. You have a very very good truck just needs a little money put into it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-29-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
I have been looking at the ram 1500 Eco-Diesel . It tows up to 9200 lbs, 420 lb-ft torque and 240hp. I do not know enough about the numbers. I am worried about power and duration. I know the torque will be good and at upper 20's for mpg, I will save $ in fuel. But will this truck be the best fit for a lawn care business? What do you think?
I don't think the HP is enough. Horsepower is about maintaining ground speed. Torque is about getting up to that speed.

The weight of your load isn't so much that it won't pull it. Around town, it'd probably be OK. However, on grades, in wind, if your trailer is an enclosed, if an open trailer and it has a tall ramp on the back, I don't think it'll pull it to your satisfaction. I'm positive you'd have to run the transmission in direct-drive, as the engine won't be able to pull OD.

Whatever you end up with, I'd consider the lowest (highest numeric) rearend gear offered. That'll allow the transmission to get into overdrive sooner and stay in it longer before downshifts (especially in winds or grades) and will be beneficial around town as it'll be easier on the engine to get the weight moving. I've driven semi-trucks, over 18yrs. I've driven everything from 290hp to 515hp. Also, rearends that were low- and high-geared. The trucks that got the best mileage were the highest HP and lowest geared, as they could easily pull hills and deal with winds without downshifts. The small engines were always at their maximum in anything but flat topography and no winds. I've heard gear fast and run slow. However, that just lugs the engine, no matter how much HP, and causes it to be always struggling. Any grade would force a downshift, even with 515hp. Gear the truck to make it the easiest for the engine to do the work.

I don't know enough about Ford's Eco-Boost. However, my '06 has a 5.3L and 3.73 gears, no cylinder deactivation. I run it in 3rd gear, because in OD the converter will constantly lock/unlock or just downshift. I run 57mph, on the highway. I get ~19mpg and ~13mpg pulling a 6' tall V-nose single-axle enclosed. I can't imagine the new 5.3L doing much better, regardless of their marketing department claims. The bottom-line is that it's a V-8 and still has the same rotational drag, whether it's running on 4, 6, or 8 cylinders, because it still requires "X" amount of fuel to move the vehicle down the road at whatever speed and grade.

The new Dodges are a different truck from the aforementioned '08 models. I'd seriously consider one, if I were in the market. I've done some work on an '08 1500 Hemi. It's a stout truck, compared to my Silverado.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
Dolmar 245.4 string trimmer
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Our 2014 silverado with a 5.3 gets 22-24mpg average on the highway. roughly about 15-16 in stop and go city driving. it's pretty impressive for a crew cab 4wd truck with 20's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
I don't think the HP is enough. Horsepower is about maintaining ground speed. Torque is about getting up to that speed.

The weight of your load isn't so much that it won't pull it. Around town, it'd probably be OK. However, on grades, in wind, if your trailer is an enclosed, if an open trailer and it has a tall ramp on the back, I don't think it'll pull it to your satisfaction. I'm positive you'd have to run the transmission in direct-drive, as the engine won't be able to pull OD.

Whatever you end up with, I'd consider the lowest (highest numeric) rearend gear offered. That'll allow the transmission to get into overdrive sooner and stay in it longer before downshifts (especially in winds or grades) and will be beneficial around town as it'll be easier on the engine to get the weight moving. I've driven semi-trucks, over 18yrs. I've driven everything from 290hp to 515hp. Also, rearends that were low- and high-geared. The trucks that got the best mileage were the highest HP and lowest geared, as they could easily pull hills and deal with winds without downshifts. The small engines were always at their maximum in anything but flat topography and no winds. I've heard gear fast and run slow. However, that just lugs the engine, no matter how much HP, and causes it to be always struggling. Any grade would force a downshift, even with 515hp. Gear the truck to make it the easiest for the engine to do the work.

I don't know enough about Ford's Eco-Boost. However, my '06 has a 5.3L and 3.73 gears, no cylinder deactivation. I run it in 3rd gear, because in OD the converter will constantly lock/unlock or just downshift. I run 57mph, on the highway. I get ~19mpg and ~13mpg pulling a 6' tall V-nose single-axle enclosed. I can't imagine the new 5.3L doing much better, regardless of their marketing department claims. The bottom-line is that it's a V-8 and still has the same rotational drag, whether it's running on 4, 6, or 8 cylinders, because it still requires "X" amount of fuel to move the vehicle down the road at whatever speed and grade.

The new Dodges are a different truck from the aforementioned '08 models. I'd seriously consider one, if I were in the market. I've done some work on an '08 1500 Hemi. It's a stout truck, compared to my Silverado.
See my above post about the 2014's, its very impressive. i've owned and '03, '11, and '13 silverado as well and this definitely beats all of them as far as mileage goes. there is noticeably more power as well. It has the 3.42 gears which is the lowest you can get with the 5.3 now since they went to a 6 speed auto. Granted we've only got about 1500 miles on it right now but so far i'm highly impressed by the mileage.

As for the dodge, i have no experience with the new ones. the hemi is a powerful motor, just seems like the build quality is severely lacking with them. probably doesn't help much in my case that its a 2500 with a diesel and rides like a concrete block. feels like its just held together with bubblegum and duct tape.

Another thing to remember is the nature of the driving most of us generally do during mowing season. if your going yard to yard in neighborhoods mileage will suck big time. constantly stopping and starting is the killer for mileage.