Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2013, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
I'd fix what you have. You have a very very good truck just needs a little money put into it
Posted via Mobile Device
I've read about "bullet proofing" my truck and maybe someone did it before I bought it. I don't know if I can find that out. Also, not sure if I want to put too much money into it unless there is certainty that it will take care of it . I need reliability. But again, I need better mpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chances are that your truck isn't deleted(bullet proofed) if your getting that kind of mpg. google some 6.0's that have been deleted and you should be able to easily tell if the emissions equipment has been removed. a very quick way would be to check and see if the exhaust is factory or if there is a programmer on the truck. now, the only issue you'll have with that right now is that you'd have to buy a used programmer since the wonderful EPA has banned the production of all delete-capable diesel tuners.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
I've read about "bullet proofing" my truck and maybe someone did it before I bought it. I don't know if I can find that out. Also, not sure if I want to put too much money into it unless there is certainty that it will take care of it . I need reliability. But again, I need better mpg
Posted via Mobile Device
It will make it reliable. You have an 06 with 20mm dowel heads. Much better than 03-05 trucks.

Mpg and towing anything don't really go together. If you're that concerned about mpg buy an NPR. I could care less what my fuel mileage is. The way I look at it is I have to fill it up every couple days anyway so what does it matter.

I damn sure wouldn't sell a truck to get 2 more mpg
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2013, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
Chances are that your truck isn't deleted(bullet proofed) if your getting that kind of mpg. google some 6.0's that have been deleted and you should be able to easily tell if the emissions equipment has been removed. a very quick way would be to check and see if the exhaust is factory or if there is a programmer on the truck. now, the only issue you'll have with that right now is that you'd have to buy a used programmer since the wonderful EPA has banned the production of all delete-capable diesel tuners.
You can still buy them, only for track use. I drive on the track all the time
Old 10-30-2013, 09:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Our 2014 silverado with a 5.3 gets 22-24mpg average on the highway. roughly about 15-16 in stop and go city driving. it's pretty impressive for a crew cab 4wd truck with 20's..
That's nuts. I remember when diesel owners were bragging about that kind of mileage. I don't think they're getting that, now, with the emission stuff and regeneration cycles.

Quote:
See my above post about the 2014's, its very impressive. i've owned and '03, '11, and '13 silverado as well and this definitely beats all of them as far as mileage goes. there is noticeably more power as well. It has the 3.42 gears which is the lowest you can get with the 5.3 now since they went to a 6 speed auto.
I bet they're chasing C-A-F-E standards, by limiting it to 3.42 gears. I think there are far more people buying the bigger engines, these days, so they've gotta' do what they can to keep their estimated MPG averages up. No matter how many offers GM sends me, I'm not buying a new truck.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 10-30-2013, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
That's nuts. I remember when diesel owners were bragging about that kind of mileage. I don't think they're getting that, now, with the emission stuff and regeneration cycles.

I bet they're chasing C-A-F-E standards, by limiting it to 3.42 gears. I think there are far more people buying the bigger engines, these days, so they've gotta' do what they can to keep their estimated MPG averages up. No matter how many offers GM sends me, I'm not buying a new truck.
you have to remember we get that kind of diesel mileage in a 1ton dully truck
Old 10-30-2013, 11:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
you have to remember we get that kind of diesel mileage in a 1ton dully truck
That's fine. It just seemed like everybody that had a diesel was spouting their mileage numbers (no matter how inaccurate), in a braggart manner. Most only used them for running around and not actually pulling anything. What they so often forgot is they paid $15K+ more for the truck, have higher maintenance costs, and pay more at the pump. The reality is driving their diesel, in their situations, actually costs considerably more money, especially when they demonstrate how they "roll the coal". Pfft!

Heavy duty trucks totally make sense for those who actually use them. However, I've yet to hear that type of person brag to the average guy what kind of mileage they get. Furthermore, I've not heard them brag about anything because they own the truck to get a job done; not make up for some inadequacy. Carry on!

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
Husqvarna 580BTS blower
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
That's fine. It just seemed like everybody that had a diesel was spouting their mileage numbers (no matter how inaccurate), in a braggart manner. Most only used them for running around and not actually pulling anything. What they so often forgot is they paid $15K+ more for the truck, have higher maintenance costs, and pay more at the pump. The reality is driving their diesel, in their situations, actually costs considerably more money, especially when they demonstrate how they "roll the coal". Pfft!

Heavy duty trucks totally make sense for those who actually use them. However, I've yet to hear that type of person brag to the average guy what kind of mileage they get. Furthermore, I've not heard them brag about anything because they own the truck to get a job done; not make up for some inadequacy. Carry on!
Lol well the maintenance costs are not what people make out either. More so in the old diesels. 210,000 on mine and I did the first trans oil change when I took ownership. My friend has a 2013 Chevy 2500 and he gets 9-10 towing and I am seeing 15ish. Now he is running e-85. I think e-85 is a wash with a diesel. I won't buy a new diesel unless I take it back to being barebones. Shoot my 93 Chevy is mechanical injection pump and the computer only controls the transmission. Ill pretty much only stick with the 6.5 or 12valve Cummins. AM general makes a bullet proof 6.5 that goes in the humvee.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2013, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

not really, because you have to take into consideration the addition of 2 more gears in the transmission which changes the final drive ratio. even if i had 3.08's (which the 13 we had did) i still have a lower first gear final drive than yours with 3.73's.

3.42/6spd
1) 13.77 2) 8.08 3) 5.24 4) 4.57 5) 2.91 6) 2.28

3.73/4spd
1) 11.41 2) 6.06 3) 3.73 4) 2.59
Old 10-30-2013, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Transmissions are where you really gain your mpg
Posted via Mobile Device