Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2013, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

diesels and big motors also aren't being worked to anywhere near their full potential in light duty trucks either when they are doing that.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasScape View Post
You know why a diesel is better for a work truck? You work a gasser hard you can over cut the sticker mpg in half easily or more. A diesel is made to work hard so you only loss few mpg. Honestly I do not notice my f450 7.3 using more diesel loaded or unloaded. I probably do loss little mpg but not even enough to notice the difference. In my case I am towing 5k on regular basis. But in the spring I could have my trailer plus 10 yards of mulch in the dump bed
Posted via Mobile Device
That's the same with our duramax.... whether it's empty or pulling 7k behind it, it's a constant 13.5-14mpg. Now the vortec 8.1.... empty it's about 14, loaded only 7.2-7.4mpg.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXN1EL View Post
Only in Texas!

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl KM55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Only in Texas!
Yep. Everything is bigger here in Texas
A Detroit Diesel DD13
http://www.demanddetroit.com/engines/DD13/
Old 11-02-2013, 02:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

well Detroit is made in Michigan That engine has nothing on this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6KWsIFqoso and its a 2 stroke diesel
Old 11-23-2013, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
I have a 2006 6.0L f250 diesel. I am afraid it will have the same problems others are having with it which are costing many from $5,000 to $10,000 to repair. I had oil pressure issues in the spring which cost me $1,700. Along with the fear of failure, I get 11.5mpg. I drive 20,000+ miles per year with a 16' tandem axle trailer carrying about 3500lbs in mowing equipment. I need something that gets better mpg. I have been looking at the ram 1500 Eco-Diesel . It tows up to 9200 lbs, 420 lb-ft torque and 240hp. I do not know enough about the numbers. I am worried about power and duration. I know the torque will be good and at upper 20's for mpg, I will save $ in fuel. But will this truck be the best fit for a lawn care business? What do you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Half ton trucks are not built for day in day out landscape work, Smaller brakes,lighter axles,frame,smaller trannys, you name it! Thats not to say you cant do it, but i dont see you will save any money as you will be doing lots of repairs and part replacement! As far as dodge goe's RUN! RUN FASTER! For what its worth, i purchased a 2013 chevy 1500, 11 months ago. Average mileage is 18.6 mpg with the 5.3/ six speed. Love the truck, however, i dont work it like my NPR or my Dmax. Half ton diesel to me is just a stupid idea unless your goal is simply to attain good mileage in a personal vehicle?
Old 12-27-2013, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

I see how people are skeptical of a half ton doing 3/4 and 1 ton jobs. But also rememeber. Trucks capibilites have gone way up in just the last few years. So its quite possible that new Ram could be close to what your 250 is. I mean it is a first year motor to us but has been used in Europe for years, the kingdom of proven reliable diesels so I wouldn't be afraid to own it. I say to go for it if you want because as long as you are keeping with in its towing capacity you are using the truck for what is what made to handle. But if you need to start looking at older diesels then here is a link showing the cost of fuel between gas and diesels as well as the mileage for the motors. The 7.3 Powerstroke is proven reliable and ties with real world fuel economy with the Cummins 5.9. hitchanything.com/towing-fuel-economy-infographic
Old 12-27-2013, 03:12 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larson Lawn Care View Post
I have a 2006 6.0L f250 diesel. I am afraid it will have the same problems others are having with it which are costing many from $5,000 to $10,000 to repair. I had oil pressure issues in the spring which cost me $1,700. Along with the fear of failure, I get 11.5mpg. I drive 20,000+ miles per year with a 16' tandem axle trailer carrying about 3500lbs in mowing equipment. I need something that gets better mpg. I have been looking at the ram 1500 Eco-Diesel . It tows up to 9200 lbs, 420 lb-ft torque and 240hp. I do not know enough about the numbers. I am worried about power and duration. I know the torque will be good and at upper 20's for mpg, I will save $ in fuel. But will this truck be the best fit for a lawn care business? What do you think?
Posted via Mobile Device
A blown HG will set you back about $5000. Cracked heads can run a few grand for remans. EGR delete is a must. After market oil coolers and coolant filtration is popular. If you let the batteries run down it will damage half you FICM. The list goes on.

My local shop mechanic worked at Ford for five years before he started his own shop. He loves the 6.0's and even the 6.4's. While at Ford he replaced lots of them. The new 6.7 in the C&C trucks had an issue that blew some motors as well.

Even on the later years of the 6.0's he said he has done lots of HG work. ARP is the only way to go.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 12-27-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
A blown HG will set you back about $5000. Cracked heads can run a few grand for remans. EGR delete is a must. After market oil coolers and coolant filtration is popular. If you let the batteries run down it will damage half you FICM. The list goes on.

My local shop mechanic worked at Ford for five years before he started his own shop. He loves the 6.0's and even the 6.4's. While at Ford he replaced lots of them. The new 6.7 in the C&C trucks had an issue that blew some motors as well.

Even on the later years of the 6.0's he said he has done lots of HG work. ARP is the only way to go.
You either out the money in a ford motor or a dodge transmission take your pick

You take care of a 6.0 you won't have any problems with it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-27-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
You either out the money in a ford motor or a dodge transmission take your pick

You take care of a 6.0 you won't have any problems with it
Posted via Mobile Device
I think the last problematic truck tranny for Chrysler was the 46RE in 2000 year and prior trucks. The 47RE, 48rfe, and 68RFE have all done well. The 47 & 48 are popular racing transmissions that guys have put in Ford and Dmax trucks for sled pulling and drag racing.

For manuals the NV5600 in the older 2500 & 3500 Ram is probably the strongest manual trans ever put in a truck. Throw in a Southbend clutch and it will handle 1000 HP.

The G56 is fine minus the Mercedes clutch. The Germans don't improve everything. Throw a Gorilla Girdle and an aftermarket clutch on the G56 and there are guys making big power numbers with those as well.

The trans in the 6.0 & 6.4 deserved to be bolted to something that had a better use then being a boat anchor. The Ford trans had a good reputation but it never seemed to be bolted to other trucks like the 47 & 48 were for high HP applications.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/