Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-30-2013, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Member

NEW in College Station/Bryan, TX

Hey all I'm new in the business and new to this site. This is my first year in the business. Some equipment I started out with was a Troy-Built 21" self propelled mower, Troy-Built Weed eater, and blower. From using this equipment I can say that I will never purchase a Troy Built piece of equipment because one its hasnt been reliable and two nobody works on them(I found this out the). Lets just say I found out the hard way to not skimp on equipment. Like I said I started out this year at the end of May. First few weeks went by and no calls nothing, I was starting to question Lawn Service. Then one day I got my first call, from a flyer I left at a house and since then slowly its grown! In june I bought my first commercial Weed Eater and back pack blower, both Husqvarna. Then came my first Zero turn, a 42" toro for $1500.00! Which I thought was a steal. Then my first Trailer a 16ft bumperpull. And Last week I found a steal on a 60" JD 737 with 296hrs. Literally started out from the bottom and have greatly grown my Legitimate business into something I am proud of and can make decent income. I would say I have between 15-20 customers including 1 commercial property. I'm currently trying to place bids for commercial properties but having a hard time coming up with accurate bids. Once again learning the hard way, a few Residential properties and Landscaping jobs I way underbid and worked myself to death barely making a buck. Any advice would be greatly helpful especially getting new customers. I will post up a picture of my flyer(would like some feedback on please!) and some quality work!
Old 10-30-2013, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Here is the flyer I have made up, any critiques or praise is greatly appreciated!
Attached Files
File Type: doc stevebrochure (2)new.doc (143.5 KB, 36 views)
Old 10-30-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome from Fort Worth, Texas.

In my opinion, your flyer is way too wordy…your "variety of services" should be listed not written out in paragraph form with a bunch of commas. If you are going to list a ton of services separate them into groups and give each group a title such as "Lawn & Yard", "Construction & Hardscapes", "Maintenance & Repairs" this will help your potential clients find the service they are interested in. Keep in mind that you have about 3 seconds to grab the reader's attention and get them to read further…That means from the moment they touch your flyer you have 3 seconds to deliver your message…it took me way longer to find out that you mow lawns because my eye wasn't drawn to what you do. My eye was drawn to a group of small sized average looking pictures which contained two poorly maintained fences. Had I been a potential client, I wouldn't have given your flyer any other consideration. Please take everything I am saying as constructive criticism and suggestions for a different marketing plan/strategy.

Consider making a two-sided flyer…one side dedicated to "Lawn & Yard" services and the other side dedicated to all your other stuff. Or make two different flyers…one for "Lawn & Yard" services and one for the other stuff. If you need/want lawn accounts now, market lawn accounts. If you need/want all the other types of jobs now, market that stuff.

The phrase, "Professional lawn care does not have to be expensive, but it should look expensive" implies that all your jobs will be consistently priced below market value. Is this true? Are you trying to build a successful business around being the guy with the lowest price? Consider something like "Quality Service & Reasonable Prices". The wordiness and extended details such as something like "At Currie Land Management our goal is to provide professional lawn & yard care at affordable prices". Keep your quote brief. A short quote on the flyer is fine but I think an entire paragraph is overkill for the flyer. Something like what you have now can be placed in the "about us" section on your website where you have more time to deliver your message.

The term "weed-eat" should be changed to "trim"…"mow, trim, edge & blow".

"I promise you will receive the highest quality in service…" Are you sure about that? Consider saving this for your website and listing something like "Quality Service & Professionalism"

"Average pricing starting at $30.00/mow, depending on the size of the law." I understand what you are trying to say but you are already trying to tell your potential client to expect the price to be higher than $30.

You also never told your potential client what to do next…Should I call or email? Which number should I call? Consider listing one number. You are telling your potential clients that you do not intend to always answer your "primary" number and you won't be accessible when the client wants to speak to you. If it is your "primary" number, why aren't you treating it like your business phone number and answering it when it rings? When needed, you could just have all your calls forwarded to your "secondary" line and your clients will never even know you have a "primary" & "secondary" line.

Anyway, sorry if some of my comments sound harsh. Do a Google search for landscaping flyers and you will see all sorts of flyers…good ones and bad ones…see which ones deliver their message in 3 seconds and try to emulate those.

Good luck.
www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller
Honda 9" Mini Tiller FG110
2014 GMC Sierra Denali HD
7' x 16' Enclosed V-Nose Trailer
6' x 12' Dump Trailer
Equipment & Work thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=415830
Old 10-30-2013, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you a lot, very good criticism. Honestly I think I was over thinking the entire flyer.I would much rather have a professionals opinion than fiance or friend.

As far as the pictures. What would you recommend? Maybe a picture of my best work/yard? Maybe a picture of a yard and a different picture of edging? That's what I was going for in the picture on the flyer with different angles showing different work.

thank you again for the criticism. I want it to look and feel professional
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-30-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have one really good picture you can use that as your background and put your words on the photo. One marketing strategy is to let the picture do the talking/selling…a picture is worth a thousand words…sometimes less is more…
Attached Images

www.awlandscapers.com

Hustler X-One 60"
Wright Stander RH 36"
eXmark 21" ECXKA21 Mower
Stihl FC110 Edger
Stihl FS90 Trimmer
Stihl FS55R Trimmer
Stihl HS56C Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS391 25" Bar Chainsaw
RedMax EBZ7100 Blower
Earthquake 16" Rear Tine Tiller