Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-21-2013, 04:18 PM
zman9119 zman9119 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Northwest of the idiots in the corn and trees (IL)
Posts: 501
Hunter ROAM XL Remote Issues

Anyone have one of the new Hunter ROAM XL remotes that have replaced the ICR remotes?

We are on our second one this season (first was warranty replacement) and so far I think this thing is a POS. If you drop one bar of battery on the transmitter, which doesn't even last 3/4 of a day with normal use, you cut your transmit distance in half. We are having to replace batteries daily or more often on this unit versus our old ICR which would last weeks...

Battery drainage is only 0.10v from each battery compared to brand new batteries so a total of 0.40v of the 4 batteries so you would not think that it would affect performance that much.

Anyone have any insight on this or have used the new remote?

(yes a RM remote is in the budget for next year...)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Without A Drought Without A Drought is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 814
havent noticed any major problems, not more than the ICR.
-lack of range through concrete.

battery does play a key in it. but i've run the original batteries for weeks with no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-21-2013, 09:30 PM
GreenLight GreenLight is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 401
That's really a shame. The little residential hunter roam system is arguably the best $120 I have ever spent in irrigation. Good range, quick reaction and great battery life. I can't speak to the ROAM XL, but that's disappointing. I see it has a similar price tag to Rainbird's LIMR remote, which is supposed to have a 1.5 mile range (Completely laughable). I do own the LIMR and I can say it's the worst $500 I have ever spent. I literally can't get over about 100 yards from the controller without that thing just completely going to pot. It is already glitchy enough when close to the controller and it's slow as molasses in reaction time. My little hunter roam residential model is 10 times the remote of the rainbird LIMR remote and it cost almost $300 less. Im not sure if the long range remotes use different frequencies or what, but what you are describing sounds identical to the Rainbird LIMR or as I call it the "the cussing rant inducer".
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-22-2013, 05:19 AM
ArTurf ArTurf is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Ark
Posts: 2,069
I'd try to get my money back on the Roam and put it towards the Rainmaster. Once you go RM you never go back.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-22-2013, 07:07 AM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 21,398
I got 3 in the spring as warrenty replacements for ICR's . Worked great all yr till blowout season. Then had to replace 2. When I brought the first one back supply house didn't have any as they said "its been a bad week for remotes" then pointed to a pile of dead ones.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 AM
greenmonster304's Avatar
greenmonster304 greenmonster304 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: You Know
Posts: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
I got 3 in the spring as warrenty replacements for ICR's . Worked great all yr till blowout season. Then had to replace 2. When I brought the first one back supply house didn't have any as they said "its been a bad week for remotes" then pointed to a pile of dead ones.
My supplier said they were back ordered when I went in this week to exchange an ICR on warranty
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 AM
Wet_Boots's Avatar
Wet_Boots Wet_Boots is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: metro NYC
Posts: 39,695
(pats self on back for never buying an ICR)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-22-2013, 12:35 PM
AI Inc's Avatar
AI Inc AI Inc is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 21,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
(pats self on back for never buying an ICR)
Why, do people buy them?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-22-2013, 01:17 PM
SoCalLandscapeMgmt SoCalLandscapeMgmt is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 1,466
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post
I see it has a similar price tag to Rainbird's LIMR remote, which is supposed to have a 1.5 mile range (Completely laughable). I do own the LIMR and I can say it's the worst $500 I have ever spent. I literally can't get over about 100 yards from the controller without that thing just completely going to pot. It is already glitchy enough when close to the controller and it's slow as molasses in reaction time. My little hunter roam residential model is 10 times the remote of the rainbird LIMR remote and it cost almost $300 less. Im not sure if the long range remotes use different frequencies or what, but what you are describing sounds identical to the Rainbird LIMR or as I call it the "the cussing rant inducer".
The LIMR is a joke. The range is pathetic. I don't even know why they wasted their time or engineering dollars on the thing especially when the technology in the Rain Master remote is very simple, easily duplicated, not protected by any patent and could be very profitable should RB have decided to make their own version of a real professional grade remote.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-22-2013, 03:32 PM
greenmonster304's Avatar
greenmonster304 greenmonster304 is online now
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: You Know
Posts: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
The LIMR is a joke. The range is pathetic. I don't even know why they wasted their time or engineering dollars on the thing especially when the technology in the Rain Master remote is very simple, easily duplicated, not protected by any patent and could be very profitable should RB have decided to make their own version of a real professional grade remote.
I said these things to the RB rep and he acted like no one ever told him the thing sucked.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 AM.

Page generated in 0.08041 seconds with 9 queries