Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-21-2013, 04:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hunter ROAM XL Remote Issues

Anyone have one of the new Hunter ROAM XL remotes that have replaced the ICR remotes?

We are on our second one this season (first was warranty replacement) and so far I think this thing is a POS. If you drop one bar of battery on the transmitter, which doesn't even last 3/4 of a day with normal use, you cut your transmit distance in half. We are having to replace batteries daily or more often on this unit versus our old ICR which would last weeks...

Battery drainage is only 0.10v from each battery compared to brand new batteries so a total of 0.40v of the 4 batteries so you would not think that it would affect performance that much.

Anyone have any insight on this or have used the new remote?

(yes a RM remote is in the budget for next year...)
Old 11-21-2013, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

havent noticed any major problems, not more than the ICR.
-lack of range through concrete.

battery does play a key in it. but i've run the original batteries for weeks with no problem.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's really a shame. The little residential hunter roam system is arguably the best $120 I have ever spent in irrigation. Good range, quick reaction and great battery life. I can't speak to the ROAM XL, but that's disappointing. I see it has a similar price tag to Rainbird's LIMR remote, which is supposed to have a 1.5 mile range (Completely laughable). I do own the LIMR and I can say it's the worst $500 I have ever spent. I literally can't get over about 100 yards from the controller without that thing just completely going to pot. It is already glitchy enough when close to the controller and it's slow as molasses in reaction time. My little hunter roam residential model is 10 times the remote of the rainbird LIMR remote and it cost almost $300 less. Im not sure if the long range remotes use different frequencies or what, but what you are describing sounds identical to the Rainbird LIMR or as I call it the "the cussing rant inducer".
Old 11-22-2013, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'd try to get my money back on the Roam and put it towards the Rainmaster. Once you go RM you never go back.
Old 11-22-2013, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I got 3 in the spring as warrenty replacements for ICR's . Worked great all yr till blowout season. Then had to replace 2. When I brought the first one back supply house didn't have any as they said "its been a bad week for remotes" then pointed to a pile of dead ones.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
I got 3 in the spring as warrenty replacements for ICR's . Worked great all yr till blowout season. Then had to replace 2. When I brought the first one back supply house didn't have any as they said "its been a bad week for remotes" then pointed to a pile of dead ones.
My supplier said they were back ordered when I went in this week to exchange an ICR on warranty
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-22-2013, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

(pats self on back for never buying an ICR)
Old 11-22-2013, 12:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
(pats self on back for never buying an ICR)
Why, do people buy them?
Old 11-22-2013, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLight View Post
I see it has a similar price tag to Rainbird's LIMR remote, which is supposed to have a 1.5 mile range (Completely laughable). I do own the LIMR and I can say it's the worst $500 I have ever spent. I literally can't get over about 100 yards from the controller without that thing just completely going to pot. It is already glitchy enough when close to the controller and it's slow as molasses in reaction time. My little hunter roam residential model is 10 times the remote of the rainbird LIMR remote and it cost almost $300 less. Im not sure if the long range remotes use different frequencies or what, but what you are describing sounds identical to the Rainbird LIMR or as I call it the "the cussing rant inducer".
The LIMR is a joke. The range is pathetic. I don't even know why they wasted their time or engineering dollars on the thing especially when the technology in the Rain Master remote is very simple, easily duplicated, not protected by any patent and could be very profitable should RB have decided to make their own version of a real professional grade remote.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalLandscapeMgmt View Post
The LIMR is a joke. The range is pathetic. I don't even know why they wasted their time or engineering dollars on the thing especially when the technology in the Rain Master remote is very simple, easily duplicated, not protected by any patent and could be very profitable should RB have decided to make their own version of a real professional grade remote.
I said these things to the RB rep and he acted like no one ever told him the thing sucked.
Posted via Mobile Device