Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 10-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Mowingman's Avatar
Mowingman Mowingman is online now
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Texas
Posts: 4,462
I would not be afraid of those miles, IF, it has the DT466. I suspect it only has the DT444. Why, do I think that you ask? Because he did not mention the engine model, and, most trucks with the DT466, have a "DT466" emblem on the side of the hood or on the cowl area.
__________________
Work Safe
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-01-2013, 11:54 AM
Krafty Krafty is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 670
RJ, Righthook is a galbreath hoist. It is just the model name I think. Both of our hook trucks have galbreath right hook hoist, and they have been very good to us. Typically the smaller hook hoist go for about $1 per pound of capacity. IE: 20k hook is going to go for around $17-20K, 30k hook is going to go for $25-30k.

As far as is that enough motor?? I think you answered your own question. I would never take a 4 banger out of a ranger and put it in an f-350 so why on earth they ever took the engine out of a dodge pickup and put it in a truck that can gross upwards of 33k is beyond me. Ever one that I know that has had a truck with the old 5.9 say they are turbo eaters. They have that motor crancked up within and inch of its life and it is still a dog.
__________________
www.stldumpsters.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-01-2013, 12:32 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krafty View Post
RJ, Righthook is a galbreath hoist. It is just the model name I think. Both of our hook trucks have galbreath right hook hoist, and they have been very good to us. Typically the smaller hook hoist go for about $1 per pound of capacity. IE: 20k hook is going to go for around $17-20K, 30k hook is going to go for $25-30k.

As far as is that enough motor?? I think you answered your own question. I would never take a 4 banger out of a ranger and put it in an f-350 so why on earth they ever took the engine out of a dodge pickup and put it in a truck that can gross upwards of 33k is beyond me. Ever one that I know that has had a truck with the old 5.9 say they are turbo eaters. They have that motor crancked up within and inch of its life and it is still a dog.
The 5.9 big truck engine is different than the 5.9 pickup engine. I don't know the difference off hand, but I do know there is a big difference. My landlord has one that he put in his 5500 chevy Kodiak. He hauls a gooseneck and a 80hp jcb backhoe or a 60hp cat hydro-hoe with zboom. I would think truck, trailer he would be at around 30-35k actual weight loaded. Yes its slow, but it will tow. He also has a 70's dump truck and I think it has a 20 yard dump and it only has a 396 v8 in it. That 396 had made from factory for torque. It depends on the tranny too.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-01-2013, 02:43 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,183
I'll probably go look at it since it can't hurt. Hopefully we can load it down and try it out. I don't plan on being loaded and towing at the same time. That will still probably fall on the red truck. It's the only one in my price range unfortunately. These hooks really hold their value and I don't want another truck older than me
__________________
RJ All Day
Masonry and Landscapes
www.rjfalcone.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-01-2013, 06:29 PM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,263
All of the med duty trucks will have a 5.9 cummins, dt 466 or a C7 Cat. You can get some trucks that have a Heavy duty style cab on a single axle that will have Heavy dut style engine but they are hard too find. The Cummins is more than enough motor and can be turned up in power and be reliable.Most of the late 90 Cummins where only 180 or so HP. I would drive the truck first and depending on gearing and convertor stall speed it may work for you. Who knows what the truck was originally used for.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-01-2013, 06:40 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,183
I'm just going by the rule of "there's no replacement for displacement" so a 5.9 against a 7.6l 466 seems like a no brainer but like we said, I'm going to drive it before taking the option off the table
__________________
RJ All Day
Masonry and Landscapes
www.rjfalcone.com
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-01-2013, 07:26 PM
AWJ Services AWJ Services is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Ga
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
I'm just going by the rule of "there's no replacement for displacement" so a 5.9 against a 7.6l 466 seems like a no brainer but like we said, I'm going to drive it before taking the option off the table
Turbos make up for displacement. The 5.9 had a max rating of over 300 hp before it was upsized in 2008 or so.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-01-2013, 08:02 PM
deerewashed's Avatar
deerewashed deerewashed is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wilton ct
Posts: 879
savAtree runs a very clean and very professional business(most of the time). Due to how new all there trucks are, i could see them just wanting to get rid of it to make way for something newer and more uniform.

That being said it should run well and if i were in the market for something like that i would go look at it.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-01-2013, 08:08 PM
alldayrj's Avatar
alldayrj alldayrj is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Long island, NY
Posts: 3,183
Thanks deerewashed, appreciate the insider info. Now I'm even more excited
__________________
RJ All Day
Masonry and Landscapes
www.rjfalcone.com
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-02-2013, 06:36 PM
whiffyspark whiffyspark is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake beach
Posts: 5,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by alldayrj View Post
Thanks deerewashed, appreciate the insider info. Now I'm even more excited
The motors are nothing like the light duty 5.9. You'll be fine. A lot has to do with the gearing and stall. I'm sure it'll work for you
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.06896 seconds with 7 queries