Register free!

Old 03-03-2015, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

What to expect on the applicators test?

Taking the test for the first time this coming Tuesday and would like to know the format, and how difficult it is.
I'm in Georgia, so the test(s) will be the general standards, and ornamental and turf. Thanks for any advice on studying the books.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-03-2015, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefj View Post
Taking the test for the first time this coming Tuesday and would like to know the format, and how difficult it is.
I'm in Georgia, so the test(s) will be the general standards, and ornamental and turf. Thanks for any advice on studying the books.
Posted via Mobile Device
Here in NC I didn't take the weekend class but just bought the books and read them front to back and thoroughly reviewed the Q and A at the end of each chapter. I would advise doing that if time will permit since it is sneaking up on you. Plus familiarize yourself with pesticide labels and where you can find info on them. You will need a calculator. Honestly, the multiple choice are pretty easy. 2 answers are going to be VERY wrong, 1 a possibility, and the other...well you know the answer to that.
Old 03-04-2015, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Member

In Michigan they require you to pay by check, not credit card or cash. Be sure you have the right kind of money.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, it says to bring a check on the paper. That's no biggie.
Adrian Michigan, I grew up in Monroe, then moved to Royal Oak. Played in some baseball tournaments in Adrian and Ida.

Justen@simplylawnsandlandscapes.com
Old 03-05-2015, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just took it today in PA. The CORE was a little more specific than I thought and had a little trouble even though I read the books. I'm not extremely confident as I should have spent more time studying. I did well on the practice exam, however, so maybe I'm just worried. There was a few questions which I only skimmed over in the books that I should have spent more time reading. I can sure tell you a lot of answers that weren't asked on the exam, however!

All the other categories are open book, so it's not necessary to study all the specifics, only to be familiar with the manuals and how to access and use the information contained therein. I took the Ornamental exam as well today and I know I aced it.

Best of luck to you, and all I can say is to spend the time studying awkwardly specific topics that you think they won't put on the exam!

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 03-06-2015, 06:03 AM
LawnSite Member

In Michigan all categories are closed book. I think I remember that they don't even let you use your own calculator because of people in the past entering information on the material into their computer like calculators or smart phones. I don't remember if they provided their own calculators.
Old 03-07-2015, 06:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you can answer the questions at the end of each chapter without looking then you'll do fine.

However, I had to re read some of the questions many times to make sure I get the right answer, Some of the questions were tricky like how much grass blade to take off when mowing. one third right? Well instead they ask, if a blade is 3 inches long what is the proper height it should be cut to? They give multiple choice answers but you still have to think a bit so it takes time ( For me anyway) I was last one finished cause I'm anal lol.

How much thatch is too much 1/2 inch? 1 inch? Some instructors vary on this but make sure you use the answer in the book.

My test did not have much mathematics needed but that could change for each test so study that anyway.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just study the books. I just took the Nc pesticide test about a month ago.. You have to really know the book.. I passed both without going to the class but I had them for almost 2 months and study them a little bit each night.
Posted via Mobile Device