Old 03-05-2015, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

55 Gallon Drum Sprayer

What are your thoughts on a 55 gallon drum sprayer. I am looking to put a setup in the back of my small truck. What kind of pump would I need and will it be hard to find the connectors for the hose fittings etc. It would be for lawn and landscape purposes only. Thoughts, Ideas, and Pictures of your own if you have some!

Thanks
Old 03-05-2015, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Chain it down securely to the side of your pickup bed. Should work OK. For low cost an electric pump would fit the bill. Did you plan on standing the drum vertically? If so, not good, be sure the pump can self prime and draw solution from the bottom of the drum even if air gets in the tube when you are driving.
Better to lay it down, suck fluid out from the small opening (3/4"). Fill it from the top opening--but how do you add the bucket of herbicide? How do you use jet agitation? Max fill would be about 45 gallons.

After a bit of thought--an electric ATV sprayer would work easier and cost the same.
http://mkrittenhouse.com/us/rittenho...d-atv-sprayers.

For more gallons interconnect it with the 55 gallon drum or just refill from the drum. Or get a bigger tank--plastic tanks are not really expensive.
But you need a hose and electric reel--that can cost real money.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

My thought was to lay it down. I thought about the agitation and I figured if I was driving then that wouldn't be a problem, but I don't know. I honestly haven't thought it through in a ton of depth. I wanted to see what some of the people on this pages thoughts about it were. At a pretty low cost I figured it could work. I figured the things I would need would be the barrel, the pump which can be wired to the battery of the truck, hose fittings, hose, and gun or wand. Am I right or way off? Like I said I don't know what all goes in to one, so any information yall would give would be gold.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Many years ago, I used plastic 55 gallon drums as a spray tank. The pump was a 4 gallon per minute piston pump driven by a 4 hp engine. That would be a D 252 and GX120 engine. One opening in the drum was occupied by a siphon tube and 50 mesh strainer. Another opening was the bypass line from the pump regulator. A third opening had a pipe fitted with a jet agitation nozzle aimed such that the bottom of the tank was vigorously stirred. That set up sprayed a lot of lawns, trees and shrubs. It worked well when I was with a company where applications were not a big part of the business. I could break down the rig and let someone else use the truck if needed in a matter of minutes.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 03-06-2015, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Only problem I have with a 55 gallon drum is how high it stands. Too top heavy and it can block line of sight while driving. Other problem is no easy way to see the water line to know how many gallon are in the tank. I like to see my start and finish volume to assure proper calibration.

it is one thing to do a off label applications. It is total stupidity to post it on the world wide web and expect people to approve.

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

My People Skills are Fine. It is my Idiot Tolerance Skills That needs Work.

Old 03-06-2015, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Were you thinking of a demand switch pump--one that starts only when the pressure drops below 40 psi?
If not, you need a pressure regulator valve. The out hose from this valve is the bypass and goes back to the tank, and thereafter is also used for agitation. You need a special fitting for this --a through-tank or "bulkhead fitting". Cost around 5 to 10 dollars.

http://www.ntotank.com/pvcbulkheads.html

Not easy and awkward, but you could carry that hose back to the larger opening in the drum; drop a long tube into the drum and use that for agitation. However--you need another opening for adding water and herbicide--unless you could pull the agitation tube out during the filling and adding of herbicide.

There is one other possibility--carry the bypass tube back to a pipe tee in the pump suction inflow hose. No agitation. The solution goes around in a circle--it can heat up to a high temp after a period of time.