Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2013, 01:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL&T View Post
I think the idea is to apply the herbicide evenly not the dye.
I understand that. But if I'm applying the dye uniformly across the lawn and my equipment is correctly calibrated then the chemical will do the same
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-03-2013, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not necessarily. The dye is only to tell you where you have been. As you say, if your equipment is calibrated properly you can be reasonably certain that the herbicide/pesticide is being applied properly. If the dye is not uniform,well, you're not painting the turf and trying to make it uniform will probably cause problems with the application. Why is it important to you for the dye to look good? If you get complaints learn to do without it.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sway View Post
For those that asked i will be spraying pre emergent, dye & post. This will be the first year that i have converted to these teejet guns with the extension due to us adding the dye to our applications.

Im switching guns so that when i apply the dye that it will look more uniform and not splotchy.... what tip do you guys prefer to cover the best area?
The usage of dye was a step in arriving at what equipment would apply a treatment evenly to a turf area, providing good coverage without run off from the target weeds. Even on a hand piece using a single tip, my preference is for an Air Inducted flat fan. A 11008AI operated at 40 PSI at a moderate walking pace of 2 MPH held 18" off the ground will apply about 2 gallons per 1000. A 11004AI will apply 1 gallon. Dye was also useful in determining what set up favored off target deposition of the spray. A non air inducted flat fan nozzle or even a flood jet nozzle had lots of dye on me, landing in flower beds or on hard surfaces.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 11-03-2013, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sway View Post
For those that asked i will be spraying pre emergent, dye & post. This will be the first year that i have converted to these teejet guns with the extension due to us adding the dye to our applications.

Im switching guns so that when i apply the dye that it will look more uniform and not splotchy.... what tip do you guys prefer to cover the best area?
Y'all are going to be a freakin mess using tracker dye out of a gun that is held in front of you.

When using a single fan tip for broadcast applications we always used a 120 degree tip and a curved brass wand. This was years ago. The wider angle tends to be a bit more forgiving. A larger orifice will give you larger droplet size, less drift and a bit more volume. Of course there is the air induction technology greendoctor is speaking of and I have used them on a boom. I have not used them as a single tip handheld sprayer so I can't speak of how well they perform being used that way.

We only use blue dye for 2 things. Extremely critical spraying...usually bare ground and training Rookies to spray an even pattern.

That stuff's like handling nuclear waste and we avoid it whenever possible..lol
Old 11-03-2013, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dye will learn new guys not to be sloppy. If they look like a smurf after applying, better review their application techniques.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
Dye will learn new guys not to be sloppy. If they look like a smurf after applying, better review their application techniques.
LMAO. It's going to go a little further than that. They're going to see every drip, leaky hose and their proper use of PPE will be put to the test. If I were a betting man, I would bet there is some curse words flying before it is all said and done. Also, ready yourself for the influx of calls if you get it on any sidewalks, driveways or patios whether they be stone or concrete...lol
Old 11-03-2013, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That's better than iron sulfate. Blue dye can be washed off, sun faded or bleached. I do not tolerate leaking fittings, hoses, or spray guns. It is a safety hazard. No one under me sprays in regular shoes or work boots either. Blue toes or blue socks, not my fault, where are your waterproof/chem resistant knee high boots?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That's better than iron sulfate. Blue dye can be washed off, sun faded or bleached. I do not tolerate leaking fittings, hoses, or spray guns. It is a safety hazard. No one under me sprays in regular shoes or work boots either. Blue toes or blue socks, not my fault, where are your waterproof/chem resistant knee high boots?
It is better than iron sulfate, I'll agree...and you and I know that most of the blue dye can be rinsed and the rest will fade quickly but that's not going to stop the phone from ringing. And, who wants to rinse off sidewalks and driveways after application to a lawn. I don't tolerate leaking fittings either and fix them as soon as they are detected but if you have one that you didn't know you had no matter how slight you'll find it real damned quick. No tennis shoes or hiking boots here...that's insane! We spray in overshoes or knee boots depending on equipment used. In the case of blue dye I would recommend knee boots at the very least and probably spray chaps too (and you'll still probably end up with blue on you somewhere/somehow.) God help you if you drip any of the concentrate any where when filling. It will be everywhere around the shop before you know it... Look, all I am saying is the propensity for it to be a huge PITA is great. I try to avoid using it because of the mess potential.

Last edited by ted putnam; 11-03-2013 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I do not use it myself. It was only before I got the GPS marker system for my truck mount boom. Otherwise, I never want to call attention to the fact that I was at a lawn. Too many paranoid people and lawyer chasers here. I was telling fl-landscapes about the time I mixed up a couple of gallons of blue dye and surfactant when I was demoing my boom and backpack set up in front of some people in the business. No blue dye on me or on anyone else. That is why I harp on leak proof fittings on the hoses and air inducted fan nozzles for lawn applications. If I look like a smurf, that means more spray is going on me than the lawn.

Tags
gun , lesco , preemergent , teejet , tip