Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 12-01-2013, 10:32 PM
anthonyp anthonyp is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: charleston s c
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierSwrx View Post
I need to learn to say no to projects like these, is what I need haha
I contracted out to a very knowledgable "mud" company and he was easily successful with eighteen foot mats , ten of them, stacked one on top of another, with a long reach Cat, sixty eight feet I think....material was soft, and it had a light crust as it was Summertime....he was making a dike , so the swing was plenty of reach...no mechanical move of the soil....you may have bitten off more than you can chew, unless you have a very lucrative contract......I would suggest you get a knowledgable person to help you out....tony
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 12-01-2013, 11:09 PM
PremierSwrx PremierSwrx is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Granbury TX
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp View Post
I contracted out to a very knowledgable "mud" company and he was easily successful with eighteen foot mats , ten of them, stacked one on top of another, with a long reach Cat, sixty eight feet I think....material was soft, and it had a light crust as it was Summertime....he was making a dike , so the swing was plenty of reach...no mechanical move of the soil....you may have bitten off more than you can chew, unless you have a very lucrative contract......I would suggest you get a knowledgable person to help you out....tony
Our contract is written to handle situations like this. We handle very large site work projects so the scope of the work is not the issue the major problem is that the engineer gave bad information. Before we said yes to the job we had him look at the site to see if we could get out there, that's where the yes came from and the issue started. There is a local guy with a barge, has a bad rep but we are going to see if we can at least use his barge
__________________
Premier Site Work and Excavating LLC.
“Heavy Civil, Highway Construction and Land Development Solutions”
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 12-03-2013, 08:31 PM
anthonyp anthonyp is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: charleston s c
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierSwrx View Post
Our contract is written to handle situations like this. We handle very large site work projects so the scope of the work is not the issue the major problem is that the engineer gave bad information. Before we said yes to the job we had him look at the site to see if we could get out there, that's where the yes came from and the issue started. There is a local guy with a barge, has a bad rep but we are going to see if we can at least use his barge
I feel for you....I sure don`t know a lot, but mud work will teach you more than you want to know, quickly.....:-) Is there any hard ground under a the mud? and how deep? In the picture it looked like the mud just went on down....Tony
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 PM
PremierSwrx PremierSwrx is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Granbury TX
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp View Post
I feel for you....I sure don`t know a lot, but mud work will teach you more than you want to know, quickly.....:-) Is there any hard ground under a the mud? and how deep? In the picture it looked like the mud just went on down....Tony
Word has it that the lake used to be an old sand pit so I'm not sure what's down there.
__________________
Premier Site Work and Excavating LLC.
“Heavy Civil, Highway Construction and Land Development Solutions”
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-03-2013, 08:50 PM
anthonyp anthonyp is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: charleston s c
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierSwrx View Post
Word has it that the lake used to be an old sand pit so I'm not sure what's down there.
Just try and walk out there with a piece of re-bar, and probe down....If you don`t feel any bottom, then you are going to have to make a decision.....Not pleasant.... Do, by chance , you have anyone out there that has alot of experience you can talk with?? Maybe get in touch with `Dirtman` as he has alot of practical experience.....Just at the very beginning of his `thread` he is nicely stuck...Tony ps good luck to you
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 12-03-2013, 08:54 PM
PremierSwrx PremierSwrx is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Granbury TX
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyp View Post
Just try and walk out there with a piece of re-bar, and probe down....If you don`t feel any bottom, then you are going to have to make a decision.....Not pleasant.... Do, by chance , you have anyone out there that has alot of experience you can talk with?? Maybe get in touch with `Dirtman` as he has alot of practical experience.....Just at the very beginning of his `thread` he is nicely stuck...Tony ps good luck to you
We tried that no bottom . . . . we have a friend in the business and his idea was to pour 12" 3" stone make a path with that it may work
__________________
Premier Site Work and Excavating LLC.
“Heavy Civil, Highway Construction and Land Development Solutions”
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 12-03-2013, 09:02 PM
anthonyp anthonyp is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: charleston s c
Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierSwrx View Post
We tried that no bottom . . . . we have a friend in the business and his idea was to pour 12" 3" stone make a path with that it may work
I hate to be discouraging, but I do not think that would work....What were the lengths of your mats??

It is slow tedious work in the mud, and one slip and you are is trouble....You saw how expensive it was to pull your machine out with a wrecker, so take `heed`....Even on high land , once the crust breaks through it is hard to get a combine , or any heavy piece of equipment out---and that is when high ground is very close by...

Some times your `first` loss is your `best` loss Tony ps if you just have to do this job, consider very seriously a dredge or a good pump....With the water source, barge, pump and prepared `spoils` area. you would have a better chance.....
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 12-03-2013, 09:06 PM
AEL's Avatar
AEL AEL is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,537
Just trying to save you money on stone, it won't do squat. As soon as any weight is put on the stone it will sink and mix with the mud. Silt is very unforgiving unless you let it sit and dry for a long long time ( we are talking months and months here)

Work from the shore and try to remove as wide a path as you can into it. Then find some nice dry sandy clay and build yourself a road/ ramp that is a few feet higher then the silt . ( you are going to need quite a bit of sandy clay material) work your way out as far as you can and then try to walk a long reach out onto this and load into your rock trucks . In order for this to work you have to find the hard bottom and build up off of it. If you just add the clay on top of the mud it will mix and the moisture will pump through and the clay will turn to jello and eventually slop.

I have used this method on a very large storm water pond . Used a 450 dlc , link belt 240x2 long front, 700j lgp blade and a few 30 tonne trucks. Rescued the contractors equipment, and cleaned the pond out our selves. Il try to dig up my old lap top that has some pictures on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 12-03-2013, 09:08 PM
PremierSwrx PremierSwrx is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Granbury TX
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEL View Post
Just trying to save you money on stone, it won't do squat. As soon as any weight is put on the stone it will sink and mix with the mud. Silt is very unforgiving unless you let it sit and dry for a long long time ( we are talking months and months here)

Work from the shore and try to remove as wide a path as you can into it. Then find some nice dry sandy clay and build yourself a road/ ramp that is a few feet higher then the silt . ( you are going to need quite a bit of sandy clay material) work your way out as far as you can and then try to walk a long reach out onto this and load into your rock trucks . In order for this to work you have to find the hard bottom and build up off of it. If you just add the clay on top of the mud it will mix and the moisture will pump through and the clay will turn to jello and eventually slop.

I have used this method on a very large storm water pond . Used a 450 dlc , link belt 240x2 long front, 700j lgp blade and a few 30 tonne trucks. Rescued the contractors equipment, and cleaned the pond out our selves. Il try to dig up my old lap top that has some pictures on it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I like the idea but here's the question, the lake is to the left of where we are working wont all that water flow into the excavation? Almost like New Orleans being bellow water?
__________________
Premier Site Work and Excavating LLC.
“Heavy Civil, Highway Construction and Land Development Solutions”
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 12-03-2013, 09:18 PM
AEL's Avatar
AEL AEL is online now
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1,537
Here's a few pictures from the company I used to be a part of. You can see from the pond cleaning pictures what I am talking about

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=298253
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 PM.

Page generated in 0.07943 seconds with 8 queries